440 hemi?

-

Lava Man68

Reaction score
I was told that a 426 hemi head will directly interchange to a 440 block and run. I know that they made a conversion kit if I remember correctly. Me and this other been going around about it and Im just trying to find out whats true.

Stage 5 made a conversion kit....dont think they are around anymore..

I was told that a 426 hemi head will directly interchange to a 440 block and run. I know that they made a conversion kit if I remember correctly. Me and this other been going around about it and Im just trying to find out whats true.

Yeah, it'll work, right along with the 6 cylinder intake manifold - lol

Seriously, though, you couldnt even get it to fit on the block, let alone attach it or get it to run.

Anybody gotta price on that StageV deal?

Tell the guy you're arguing with that the 440 Hemi was a rare two rocker shaft wedge found only on the 383TTA option with the brass connecting rods...

Sounds just like the guy I met that said;

"My Dad had a nova just like your Ford with a Super Duty Quazimoto Hemi squared with a 5 spd and cop suspension back in 65 when bla bla bla bla bla...."

"My Dad had a nova just like your Ford with a Super Duty Quazimoto Hemi squared with a 5 spd and cop suspension back in 65 when bla bla bla bla bla...."

yeah the supposed experts who used to ask what year Camaro my E-body is even though it said "BARRACUDA by PLYMOUTH" on the tail light panel.

Don't forget that rare 383 Hemi dual quad package available only in the Chargers just like the "Duke Boys used to run." Or the rare 427 "six pack" Malibu station wagon that used to top out at 180. Every one of the experts has owned one, every one of the experts has then junked one. Or wrecked. The evidence is never around. Even in pictures.

Thanks yall I didnt think I was crazy, Im only 19 and I grew up in a mopar family so i thought I knew better, I go to an automotive school so most kids have some car thats really fast thats either rare or to fast to drive on the street

ramenth- Im going to have to remember that, I asked him to prove it but then he changed his story for the 2nd or 3rd time then I had him going in circles.

I don't like to brag...but...I put one of the Stage V hemi heads on a 2L motor out of a Neon into a '64 Rambler station wagon. Dang, she was powerful. I blew up to 1,500 horsepower rated dyno's here in town before she revved to 2500 RPM's. The Dept. of Transportation refused to register it....referring me to NASA. Maybe thats cause she stood vertical on her tailgate when I put it into drive. Maybe 1st was to low of a gear ratio as I had to use a transmission out of a Peterbilt. Between paying for damage to city streets and the local drap strip from the car ripping out any asphalt or concrete that dared be under it; along with the cost of the super secret space aged friction reducing pink paint I kept having to replace on the tailgate, I retired her. Now she's at Area 52 where the world's foremost scientists and engineers are investigating her. Yes, Area 52, the Neon powered Rambler is to advanced for Area 51. If only I hadn't thrown away the pics and videos of her in action.....

I don't like to brag...but...I put one of the Stage V hemi heads on a 2L motor out of a Neon into a '64 Rambler station wagon. Dang, she was powerful. I blew up to 1,500 horsepower rated dyno's here in town before she revved to 2500 RPM's. The Dept. of Transportation refused to register it....referring me to NASA. Maybe thats cause she stood vertical on her tailgate when I put it into drive. Maybe 1st was to low of a gear ratio as I had to use a transmission out of a Peterbilt. Between paying for damage to city streets and the local drap strip from the car ripping out any asphalt or concrete that dared be under it; along with the cost of the super secret space aged friction reducing pink paint I kept having to replace on the tailgate, I retired her. Now she's at Area 52 where the world's foremost scientists and engineers are investigating her. Yes, Area 52, the Neon powered Rambler is to advanced for Area 51. If only I hadn't thrown away the pics and videos of her in action.....
:notworth::notworth::notworth::supz:

I remember that car allways seen it around tried to catch it a few times for a better look even mounted a rocket booster on the roof of my old chevy

I remember that car allways seen it around tried to catch it a few times for a better look even mounted a rocket booster on the roof of my old chevy
did you secure the rocket booster with duct tape???

Thank you for proving I only slightly embellish on the truth. I'll see you at this month's Totally Full of Crap Anonymous meeting....bring the rocket boosted Chevy

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!! I have atleast 1 person every time I take my '71 Demon out ask me what year my "Nova" is.
AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH1

I think they are still making them. But I havent looked into it before. I did see, years ago, a 451" with them on it at a local shop. It was after they first started getting magazine ink in the 80s.

Back in the winter of '97, my brother bought the stage V conversion heads for a 440 and assembled the engine for his race '70 Challenger The engine ended up being stroked to 528 cid.
We actually went to Pomona to the winternationals that year and picked them up at his shop in Nothridge, California. He was a really nice guy and was very informitave and knowledgeable on the whole process as i suppose he would seeing as he developed the whole package. He gave us a shop tour and showed us all of the development work he did including the bare castings, his cnc machine, the original hemi heads he cut apart and welded together, the modifications he did to them to make them work, blueprints, etc. etc.
They did work well and the quality of the machining was first rate. He lent us a tool to modify the block to accept the heads without question and after the process, we sent it back to him all the way from Canada.
As i say, he was a first class guy.
His last name was HANSEN and his name was cast in the heads. They were made out of aluminum and they honestly looked too good to bolt on an engine. My brother also bought a set of cast aluminum black wrinkle valve covers off him and they were one of the first sets cast that said STAGE V on them.
So yes they are real, and it was an affordable alternative to a 426 hemi back in the late '90s. Back then the good original hemi parts were as rare as chicken lips and turtle fur, and were going for outrageous money. He built the engine for a lot less than a real 426 hemi, and had WAY better heads than them.
I don't know if he is still in business, but he sure had a great product.

On the other hand, my brother also dealt with Ray Barton for the rest of the internals of the engine including a dry sump oiling system and he was a nightmare to deal with back then. It seemed like he didn't want to be bothered with such a "small" $6000 order as he put it, and saying that he was tired of dealing with Canadian orders. His words on the phone to me, not mine.
Ray Barton is actually a Canadian, so it surprised me in his attitude in genaral. I guess being THE hemi man went to his head.
Of couse this was before all of the hemi blocks, heads, and crate engines etc. were even reintroduced.
At the time, a good 440 block was $100 or less.

i know stage v themselves are still in business, i have spoke with tim at for hemis only a few times about building me a hemi for my dart some day and he uses the stage v replacement heads.

Well I seen him in class today as we was taking attendance and it was his turn to come up to sign the paper and some of my friends yelled "hemi" and then i yelled "440" and turned around and flipped us all off. Which other then that I didnt really talked to him, I didnt go out of my way to talk to him anyways, he tends to aviod me which I'm ok with since I dont like him. Thanks for the information on the two blocks and the stage V heads I knew that somebody made them but who and how I didnt know and im glad to know that now and thanks again.

-
Back