5 years later, replace the fuel tank or clean it?

-

lazyshiftless..

Reaction score
If you put a crate 360" in a '65 Barracuda that's been standing outdoors not moving for 5 years, would you replace the fuel tank and line, or take it off and try to clean it somehow? (I'm on the left coast and they get nervous when the dirt from your fingernails hits the ground). Or is this something that must be cleaned professionally? I haven't checked out new ones so I don't know if I can get one... Thanks.

drop the tank and take a look to see what it looks like...then make a decision..

take to car wash and blast it....see if there is rust in it.

Any local radiator shop should be able to "boil" your tank and then seal the inside. Just had it done to mine and it cost $100.

You'll find a thick black horrible smelling varnish like gunk in the tank.
Descriptive enough ? LOL
The odor from spills can linger for a year or more.
New carborater should get new tank and line to protect your investment in my opinion.

Drain the tank and properly dispose of the waste. Most cities have hazmat sites where you can dump fuel.

Disconnect fuel line and blow out with compressed air. Replace any cracked hoses.

There can be a gooey sheet of junk in the bottom of the tank if gas was left in it and evaporated out. It can be "boiled" out. Do not leave it in, fresh fuel will loosen parts of it which are later ingested into the fuel pump and filter. The results are predictable.

The old motorcycle trick works here for a rusty tank. Add about a pound of crushed gravel to the dry gas tank. (This is the only time I've blessed the small A-bomb gas tank.) Seal the openings and shake the tank vigorously for a few minutes. Rotate the tank while shaking so the gravel can get at all of the interior of the tank. When you think you've got all of the surfaces addressed, pour the rocks out (it's hazmat, too).

Personally, I'm leery of putting a coating in a gas tank. Many motorfuel contain ethanol. Ethanol can be unfriendly to fuel system components depending on % of content in the fuel and how long it is used. If the coating isn't specifically impervious to ethanol, I'd avoid it.

Personally, I'm leery of putting a coating in a gas tank. Many motorfuel contain ethanol. Ethanol can be unfriendly to fuel system components depending on % of content in the fuel and how long it is used. If the coating isn't specifically impervious to ethanol, I'd avoid it.

We have done several tanks like this over the last couple of years and haven't had any fuel related problems. We don't use any ethanol though. There is a product called Kreem, that motorcycle guys swear by.

http://www.kreemproducts.net/

The car and truck kit looks pretty nice for $65, even comes with a flexible light and mirror to inspect the tank.

I use a short piece of chain about 24" with 1" links (the one I use to pull engines) instead of rocks. That way you know you get it all back out of the tank.

great info. I was looking for the same info when I found this. I rebuilt the carb replaced the filter and found the next day the fuel filter looked like it had chocolate milk in it. After what I've read hear I guess saturday sounds like I have plans to remove the fuel tank.
thanks for the great info

I used Kreem in a bike that I built. I stretched the tanks so I put Kreem in the tanks to seal any possible holes from welding. Anyways I followed the directions to the T and I could never get the bike to run right. Well the Kreem feel apart and blocked the fuel lines and there was a bunch of kreem in the carb too. Maybe I had a bad batch. But, it was a PIA.

-
Back