$50 Craigslist 360 EXTREME budget rebuild??

-
Back to where I started a 318 and an automatic - full Circle....
wife said I could race with her pink motor if I wore a dress to the track to drive it! "After all, it is a drag race?" Then fell on the floor laughing...
of all the women in the world I have a joker - PERFECT MATCH !!

Did you show her the "318 race" thread? (I don't know, though, if you are going through mufflers and street tires. Gotta be street legal for the 318 race.....)
Anyways, it would be fun if that worked out....... :)

You may have to define muffler? Street tires check tags check proof of insurance check

You may have to define muffler? Street tires check tags check proof of insurance check
mufflers mean "glass packs, turbo mufflers, magna flow, flowmaster, OEM, Anything but open headers or open headers with a footlong straight pipe attached... LOL"
P.S. - don't care about your insurance.... :D

I keep forgetting to ask do I need a new crossmember for the transmission or will the 4 speed one work for that 904?

Wow 8 pages and my eyeballs hurt!
As far as the cam bearing goes.......I know there bugging you, even though everyone has said there find.......
my first cam swap was on a Hi mileage 318. cam bearing were trashed(yours look GOOD) there was layers of material coming off of them! found out that i had to take the motor out to even think about change them........long story short, threw the new cam and lifters in ran like a champ for a couple year. only pulled it out then was because a 340 to replace it with.
I can understand why you're using the teen now. It's complete, runner. quicker simpler easier!

Okay starting with some more disassembly and cleaning. I'll have some cam spec's and pictures later today. I'll also be more able to make a more informed plan A.
== REMEMBER ONLY $50 CRAIGSLIST DOLLAR'S SPENT==
---I will go to the first post in this thread and put a note at the top to move through the first hundred and fifty post quickly because the thread changes to a 318 period but still definitely an extreme Craigslist $50 budget build.---

Okay starting with some more disassembly and cleaning. I'll have some cam spec's and pictures later today. I'll also be more able to make a more informed plan A.
== REMEMBER ONLY $50 CRAIGSLIST DOLLAR'S SPENT==
---I will go to the first post in this thread and put a note at the top to move through the first hundred and fifty post quickly because the thread changes to a 318 period but still definitely an extreme Craigslist $50 budget build.---
J par not letting the grass grow under his feet....... :thumbsup:

That's funny I remember the very first cam swap I ever did pretty much the only can swap I ever did was in my first 72 Duster with a 318 and I did exactly the same thing. My friend that was helping me was an older guy that was an old Mopar guy and looked at them scratched his head and was very skeptical about the outcome, they look hammered! ran like a champ to the day I sold it. ( thing is now I'm older and smarter and have a little bit more experience in time) I'll be interested to see what the cam bearings look like in this 318 today and I'd believe if all is equal in chamber depth I might just go with those 360 heads with the bigger valves.
Wow 8 pages and my eyeballs hurt!
As far as the cam bearing goes.......I know there bugging you, even though everyone has said there find.......
my first cam swap was on a Hi mileage 318. cam bearing were trashed(yours look GOOD) there was layers of material coming off of them! found out that i had to take the motor out to even think about change them........long story short, threw the new cam and lifters in ran like a champ for a couple year. only pulled it out then was because a 340 to replace it with.
I can understand why you're using the teen now. It's complete, runner. quicker simpler easier!

Aren't the teens 62 esh and the 360s are 74 esh.
I would do a porting job(mild) on the teens and have compression and power.
or maybe read over the "porting a 318 thread" and Go Wild!!!!:poke::D

Well for some reason it doesn't appear as if I can edit the first post. It doesn't give me that option that far back in the thread. I will message or technical editor Rusty rat rod to edit a little preempt post to get people through a hundred and fifty post. saying this from the 360 to the 318, but still a $50 Craigslist extreme budget build.
And I got to say this is actually how it started out with the car and the Stroker motor and everything that I have now. I built the car around the 318 and switch everything over to the stroker motor. It's quite easy and I got some learning experience at the track on a motor I can handle easily.

I was talking this over with 318 will run and possibly if I can get it done real cheap have the 360 heads milled down while have them apart?
Aren't the teens 62 esh and the 360s are 74 esh.
I would do a porting job(mild) on the teens and have compression and power.
or maybe read over the "porting a 318 thread" and Go Wild!!!!:poke::D

Shaving will take $$ cutting an intake, or intake surface of the head. Porting will take time...............

Shaving will take $$ cutting an intake, or intake surface of the head. Porting will take time...............
My experience..... I've never cut the intake when cutting 360 heads .040. Never a problem, never a leak. I don't use the intake "cork end" gaskets.
Again, my experience :)

I guess the question is how many CC will be lost with only .040. I really don't know.
either way it will still run good.

EDIT
Just did the math it's about 8cc for a .040 cut. after .080 the math changes because you now have a closed chamber.

Last edited:
The theory is that if I shave the 360 heads they'll be close to the compression the 318 heads currently have with bigger valves ?

-
Back