/6 Swap

-

ellococt

Reaction score
i want to swap the old 71 /6 in my scamp to a freshly rebuilt one year 75 /6 on my scamp. I wanted to know if anyone knows of a book or maybe can tell me how to properly remove the old engine and drop the new one in. i have air tools, engine hoist, wide variety of tools. just need to know how to do this right

Get the Actual Factory Service Manuals they will talk you thru it pretty well. TAKE LOTS OF DIGITAL PICTURES and tag your wires.
Ask questions as you go if you need to.
Good luck,
Frank

i want to swap the old 71 /6 in my scamp to a freshly rebuilt one year 75 /6 on my scamp. I wanted to know if anyone knows of a book or maybe can tell me how to properly remove the old engine and drop the new one in. i have air tools, engine hoist, wide variety of tools. just need to know how to do this right

Check out the Haynes Dodge Dart Plymouth Valiant repair manual. It deals only with /6s from 1967-1976. There are some factual errors on dimensions in these things. However, I respect the fact that they don't whip out a special tool because they have one. They will only use a special tool when they NEED to, otherwise they use general mechanics' hand tools.

You can get one from Amazon or eBay. ISBN 1 85010 211 2

Be prepared to learn Brit terms for the cars and tools. Thankfully a translation guide is included in the book.

Arg. Haynes manuals. Good in the summer to wedge open the door for ventilation. Good in the winter to generate heat in the fire place.

Arg. Haynes manuals. Good in the summer to wedge open the door for ventilation. Good in the winter to generate heat in the fire place.
Morning Charlie 8) thanks for a good laugh this morning :toothy10::toothy10: so true 8)

Will the mounts be different between those years? Seems that the mounts from 73 on are spool type and earlier are bolt up. Other than that it just like pulling a motor. Unhook all the lines and unplug wires and jerk it out. Try and get the slant to hang straight. Unbolt driveline at tranny and may even want to drop cross member. Support the tranny till your ready to let her down. Sometimes it helps to have a little added room under the car so the tranny can drop down. Take the radiator out so it dont get damaged. Let us know if ya need any more advice, after all this is FABO.
Small Block

Good in the summer to wedge open the door for ventilation. Good in the winter to generate heat in the fire place.
I 2nd that and Chiltons are the same caliber. As was said before get a FSM. Watch e-bay for it. It will pay for itself in no time. Also as was mentioned take a lot of pictures and label everything. It's not to diffcult to swap motors. Pretty straight forward. The pictures are great when it comes to put it all back together again.

Will the mounts be different between those years? Seems that the mounts from 73 on are spool type and earlier are bolt up.

This is true. But I think all you should need to do is to take the mounts off of your old motor and trans and put them on the new one's.

Just reuse the mounts from the old Slant and put them on the new one. They'll bolt right up.
One thing I learned from doing this on my Duster years back was to set up the hoist so that the engine pivots on the driver's side mount before you pull it up, get the engine straight up and down then remove it. It comes out much easier than if you were to try and pull it on the slant. If you have an engine load leveler that would help imensly, and also have someone helping you

Good one! A previous poster had already cited the FSM as a source. I'll say they are the best source.

The FSMs put a burr under my saddle by whipping out every #@~^ special tool in the factory when doing a job, to wit changing chassis bushings. Haynes and their ilk are a little less special tool happy.

That said, if you use Haynes watch them like a hawk. Has anyone seen a press fit upper-ball joint in an A-body? I've rebuilt ten front ends and have yet to see one (1966-1975 models). Yes, I have a pair of the funny sockets needed to remove the upper ball joint. I've had to use one of them on every front end rebuild I have performed.

thanks for the advice so far im waiting for the weekend my dads friends coming over and helping me out (hes a mechanic) lol

-
Back