64 Barracuda Engine Swap ?

-

6slick4

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a 1964 Barracuda with the original 273/auto. I have a running 87 318 in a dodge truck that I want to swap in place. What issues am I going to run into that I should prepare ahead for?

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated. I know this has probably been covered on here before, but I can't seem to find a thread.

You will need to swap the oil pan from the 273 onto the 318, and the bottom radiator hose will be on the wrong side on the 318. Your motor mounts off the 273 will work right back on the 318. You will need to get some 1/4 inch pipe plugs to screw into the air bleed holes under the exhaust ports on the 318, or you will have an exhaust leak. That's about all I can remember. You may have other minor things, but those are the biggies. Nothing that can't be fixed with a little work. Good luck.

You will need to swap the oil pan from the 273 onto the 318, and the bottom radiator hose will be on the wrong side on the 318. Your motor mounts off the 273 will work right back on the 318. You will need to get some 1/4 inch pipe plugs to screw into the air bleed holes under the exhaust ports on the 318, or you will have an exhaust leak. That's about all I can remember. You may have other minor things, but those are the biggies. Nothing that can't be fixed with a little work. Good luck.

What you've said seems to be the same info I have come up with, from searching other forums. Thank you very much for confirmation. If you can remember anything else, or have any tips to make the swap easier please let me know. Thanks

i did something very similar in my 66. the air injection ports in the heads for the air pump underneath each exhaust port were pretty small. I just used the appropriate sized drill bit, recessed each hole, and tapped in 1/8 inch freeze plugs. worked awesome! After struggling at life for entirely too long on the first 2 holes i just did the frost plug thing. I think the flex plate holes may be diferent too. i want to say the 273s were symmetrical, and later smallblocks were asymmetrical.....i could be wrong, however i do know that on crank pulleys this is true. I ended up using truck pulleys on mine.

I do know the early 318 motors fit right in, pre 74 or so, as my 65 Formula s and previous 66 had that swap made. No issues whatsoever simple and easy. However the later model 318 has different issues as stated above more complex exhaust, fuel pump, electronic ignition I am sure much different by that time? However with some work and conversion I am sure help here on site you will GET THE JOB DONE! Best of Luck and enjoy your ride! I love my 65 Cuda Formula S fully restored soon to be moved from Maryland to my new home in Chicago! Mopar or No Car!

AS far as I know the motor mounts for the 273 to 318 do not need to be modified. They only need to be modified when installing a 340 or 360. Correct me if I am wrong.
One thing I know for sure, if using the original 64 push button trans,you will need an "adapter bushing in the end of the crankshaft. I have them available, for $20 shipping included, in the USA. If you want one PM me. Use the flexplate for the 318 engine.

AS far as I know the motor mounts for the 273 to 318 do not need to be modified. They only need to be modified when installing a 340 or 360. Correct me if I am wrong.
One thing I know for sure, if using the original 64 push button trans,you will need an "adapter bushing in the end of the crankshaft. I have them available, for $20 shipping included, in the USA. If you want one PM me. Use the flexplate for the 318 engine.

Yes, I believe you're correct about the motor mounts, there should be no issues. The one thing I was really worried about was if the oil pan from the 273 would swap onto the 318. But crawling under the truck and the barracuda and checking, double checking and triple checking the pans bolt pattern it looks like there shouldn't be any issue.

I had a 1967 barracuda about 16 years ago with a slant 6 and had to do alot of what I'm doing now, but I don't remember everything I did then to get it to work. I know I had to buy mounts from schumacher and I put an 8 3/4 under it out of a dart if memory is correct,there definitely wasn't as much help online then. I appreciate everybody's input and please keep the tips coming. I will try and get pics of the project online as soon as I can.

And I will definitely send you a pm when I know I'm going to need the adapter bushing. Great info thanks.

Thanks Everyone

The one thing I was really worried about was if the oil pan from the 273 would swap onto the 318. But crawling under the truck and the barracuda and checking, double checking and triple checking the pans bolt pattern it looks like there shouldn't be any issue.

Thanks Everyone

The oil pans will interchange on the 273, 318, 340. The 360 oil pan is different, due to the larger main bearing caps.

THere is a thread here somewhere about the later head castings ( like 302 ) will break the earlier exhaust manifolds. The 2 castings hit at the lower rear corner.
Lower water pump port opposite side from your radiater. Mismatch between the later crank and your torque converters nose, etc..
All of the issues have been discovered and addressed in one manner or another. Lots of reading along with test fitting will get it together.

If I did decide to go with a 360, if I can find one, what is the best way to take care of the oil pan issue since a 318 pan will not fit a 360?

I put a 318 with the air pump port heads in my Dart with factory exhaust manifolds and needed to clearance the drivers side quite a bit before it would sit flat on the ports. I removed metal from the head and the manifold to get it to work.

I put -89 318 to my -66 using stock -66 bracket and insulator on drivers side. On pass side bracket from -66 didn't fit. After few minutes thinking I used bracket witch came with engine from an van, only drilling new holes for -66 insulator and using two washers between bracket and mounting ears on block.

I just completed the same swap this summer. I installed a 76 318 into a 65 Valiant wagon.
1. The oil pan was the same shape on both engines so I used the same one from the 318
2. I tapped the exhaust bleed ports and locktighted the screw in plugs I believe I used 8/32 plugs.
3. The drivers side head will need to be ground down as the exhaust pad on the rear is too large to make a tight fit, do this while to engine is out as I had to take mine back out.
4. Your crankshaft will need the bushing they talk about in the previous post, we still have to this but our flex plate did bolt up.
5. I did modify the passenger side motor mount as the 273 had 4 ears and the 318 had 3

here is a link to my past post with pics and a link to other pics
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=196587

-
Back