Mopar Red or Industrial Red

P4349218 Mopar Part #

International-Harvester red
NAPA sells an exact shade

Mopar Red or Industrial Red

P4349218 Mopar Part #

International-Harvester red
NAPA sells an exact shade

Read through my 273 build thread. Duplicolor Chrysler industrial red is it! Red with a little hint of orange. tmm

Read through my 273 build thread. Duplicolor Chrysler industrial red is it! Red with a little hint of orange. tmm

I checked an old can that I have. Yes, that's correct

Attachments

• 273 Long Block front.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 300
Looks orange to me, but hard to tell in photos. I used Rustoleum red engine spray paint on my 65 273. Don't recall if called anything other than "red".

Ok im not positive on this but in my past lookings all 4bbl 273s 65+ are red. All 2bbl standard 273s are orange. I could be wrong. I really like the look of the red. I wanna say red is a 65-66 only color in the 4bbl version.

Ok im not positive on this but in my past lookings all 4bbl 273s 65+ are red. All 2bbl standard 273s are orange. I could be wrong. I really like the look of the red. I wanna say red is a 65-66 only color in the 4bbl version.

i don't think that is correct..

as far as i can remember. all 273 motors were red. 318 motors were also red till 69. in 70 the 318 went to blue.

It might not be, but i have seen handfuls of 64-66 darts and valiants with orange 2bbl 273s.

Here's a couple photos. The distributor is original. The bracket is IH red. (wrong) The bellhousing is Chrysler Industrial Red. (correct) The pan, dist. and the filter adapter are different colors. The pan and the original dist. are very close. The last shot is the finished product! tmm

Attachments

• 100_5232.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 196
  • 421.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 220
  • engine 167.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 200
  • engine 286.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 227

My 66 cuda 273 2bbl was red.

Back in 1970 when I bought my first car it was a 1964 Barracuda with a 273 2bbl. I wanted to fix some unsightly issues with missing paint from the valve covers so I bought some Chrysler red in a spray can. It was far too light and bright to match so I cleaned it off with laquer thinner. I tried several different cans ofspray paint and most were identified as correct for Ford and Mopar. They were all too bright. One night after testing about my sixth try I went to the garage out back and my Dad was painting some IHC tractor parts. I stuck my finger in the can and went out front to wipe some on my valve cover. It was almost a perfect match. The next evening I mixed up some of the International Red in the spray gun and "fixed" the areas missing paint such as where the battery cable was laid across the valve cover for the factory paint job. Several years later when I did some engine work I was surprised to find how much lighter and more orangeish the enamel had faded. A couple of years after I used tractor paint on my engine (1972) when I was helping a neighbor down the street change out a water pump on his 68 340 Dart he got a can of spray paint that was supposed to be correct for Mopar and Ford but the pump was not the correct color. I took it to Dad's garage and painted it IHC red. When we installed it the color was a correct match.

Thank you every one for your input. I had PPG match the NAPA mopar industrial red spray bomb which has orange in it. I am going to use a thin coat of black epoxy as a primer, and PPG's best catalized concept so it will cover with minimum mills.

-
Back