64 Dart: I don't have a stock motor

-

64dartconv

Reaction score
I checked the casting number on my engine and its 4006730-318-3.
Apparently its a 1976-84 318.

How are these motors? It must be better than the stock 273. Any opinions?

an excellent replacement for the 273, reliable, responds well to performance upgrades, modern unleaded valve seats and hydraulic cam

I have a 1973 318 in my 1966 barracuda

Nothing wrong with the casting but I would be a little concerned about how they mated the crank with the converter. If you're still using the original converter, they have a button that is too small to fit tight inside of the end of a 318 crank. This can cause vibrations, cracked flex plates, and converter bushing failure. Hopefully they knew this and installed a reducer bushing to take care of that mismatch.

Wow, thanks cudamark. That is great info. I think there is some vibration, where do you get the bushing and what size is it? I will talk to my mechanic about it.

I found the adapter you were talking about. Pat Blais Transmissions has a webstore on ebay. Its T'Flite Patty's Shop Mart and the item is Mopar Torqueflite 904 ADAPTER 1960-67 T/C > 1968+ Crank

TFlite Pattys Shop Mart

And you have an additional 45 cubes and the torque increase that goes with it!

I would guess that when they swapped the motor they also swapped the torque converter
or added the spacer, I have a late 318 in my 66 and I am not concerned one bit about this,
it isn't something that needs to be blown out of proportion, if it is running fine don't worry about it, it is not worth the time and expense of removing the whole transmission just to check UNLESS you have an actual problem

Someone here on FABO had some of those bushings for a very reasonable price....I just can't seem to find the thread. Sometimes you can luck out and bolt the converter up dead center and not have a problem but that's not something I'd want to bet on. My luck, I'd get half way to Vegas and the flex plate would break in two. With metal fatigue, sometimes you get no warning.

I would agree with others, my 65 cuda formula s has early 70,s 318 4bbl. Runs great on umleaded many options to upgrade. Painted it to look like 273 most people look at it and cannot tell difference as it retaines the 273 exhaust manifolds from motor that was in car, it was replaced because it was not the original motor. 318 can be upgraded with cams, intakes, compression ect for performance. I had a previous 66 cuda ran at dragstrip car ran mid 13's with head work and moderate cam for instance. My current set up is pretty much stock car ran 15 sec quarter mile for comparison....money=speed!

The motor has an Edelbrock performer manifold, Edelbrock carb, and stock manifolds. I am assuming that the motor mounts are different than stock. It possibly has a cam upgrade. I am pleased that its a newer motor, it definitely makes option easier.

Attachments

• Motor.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 166
Ur link does work not not
For the record, this might work:http://stores.ebay.com/TFlite-Pattys-Shop-Mart

Found out my 64 also has a 76 motor during a Super Six upgrade. I like the fact that I can use unleaded gas without worrying about the valve seats.
Having the original motor would be cool, but it's not a big deal. Whoever changed out the engine cared enough about the car to do the switch instead of just junking the whole car, and now I get to enjoy it. :)

273, 318, used the same motor mounts 360 is different
273 and 318 are also internally balanced, 360 is external balance
273 & 318 both have small intake ports, 360 and 340 have large ports
273 and 318 share the same stroke, same crank,& same oil pan, 360 does not
just a few of the similarity's and differences between them for you

The drivers side block lugs on my 84' 318 from a St Regis were the same as 340/360.

I have a 85 318 in my 65 dart. I had my brother-in-law make the bushing. Here is the bushing size info. Note: I heard not all the info in the article is correct but the bushing fit perfectly.
crankspacerinfofrombook.jpg

-
Back