64 valiant v200 no power.

-

kcsword18

Reaction score
I recently swapped out my alternator and voltage regulator. Everything was fine for 2 days. Now when I turn the key, I get no power to accessories or starter. The starter bumps over on its own at the starter and the relay. I tried grounding the neutral safety switch and I replaced the ignition cylinder. Any ideas?

Does ANYTHING operate? Brake lights? Dome? Headlights/ tail/ park?

I assume, please confirm, does ANYTHING come on with the key? In the "run" position? in the "accessory" position?

The symptoms are important as they can help run this down. Possibilities:

If no power anywhere, blown fuse link or problems in the big RED ammeter wire going through the bulkhead connector, the ammeter connections or the ammeter itself, or the so called "welded spice" which is in the large BLACK ammeter wire a few inches from the ammeter.

Simplified diagram from the MAD electrical site:

amp-ga18.jpg

Does ANYTHING operate? Brake lights? Dome? Headlights/ tail/ park?

I assume, please confirm, does ANYTHING come on with the key? In the "run" position? in the "accessory" position?

The symptoms are important as they can help run this down. Possibilities:

If no power anywhere, blown fuse link or problems in the big RED ammeter wire going through the bulkhead connector, the ammeter connections or the ammeter itself, or the so called "welded spice" which is in the large BLACK ammeter wire a few inches from the ammeter.

Simplified diagram from the MAD electrical site:

[/URL]

amp-ga18.jpg
Correct, no accessories, no dome, no headlights. I will try the fusible link next. And I checked power on the back of the amp meter and it's getting power to the meter. Thanks!

If the ammeter has power, the red wire path is OK. Look at the diagram. Check BOTH sides of the ammeter, go out and see if you have battery power at the alternator big output stud. You MAY have ammeter or welded splice problems.

Started on the bypass you guys sent me and I think I found the issue. Amp cables melted together at the firewall..

Hey guys,
I finished the by pass and the car starts up and has power. However, the starter is staying on after it turns over. Not sure if that wires melted. It got dark so I'll check tomorrow.

-
Back