65 dart no start

-
Reaction score
I have a 1965 Dodge dart and I can’t get it to crank. It has a new starter and when I turn the key it makes a clicking sound from under the dash and nothing happens. The car has been running I’m pretty sure now it’s something to do with the battery it has working headlights and now they won’t turn on. I’ve tried jumping it off but it doesn’t help.

Last edited:
ok I've had a few beers so ill get this party started. We are going to need some more info. is this a car you drug out of a barn that hasnt run in 30 years or a car you have been driving until it wouldnt start yesterday and you bought a new starter? Do you have a multimeter or any testing equipment? when i hear you have a clicking noise i usually think dead battery...

Does the battery have juice?

1691197236143.png

Check the battery connections for corroded terminals.

What electrical test equipment do you have? You need at least a battery/charging system tester and a decent volt/ohmmeter.

Load test the battery to start with and let us know the result. If it's in good shape and fully charged, next would be connections at both ends of both battery cables. Make sure they're all clean and tight.

If the headlights don't come alive that is a HUGE clue.

FIRST THING I'D DO and this means REGARDLESS of how you perceived their condition, is to CLEAN the battery posts and clamps.

If that does not work, then determine

1...if the battery has any power under load
2...if the power is being lost in a clamp/ cable/ end terminal.

You need at absolute minimum, a 12V test lamp and better a multimeter

Be methodical. AFTER cleaning the clamps, and IF THEN it won't work,

A ... Turn on headlight switch, and if they will not light, put your meter/ test lamp probes on the two battery post CLAMPS. You should get a bright light/ about 12V.

B...If not, stab your probes directly into the posts of the battery. You should get a bright light/ about 12V

If so, RE clean the posts and try again

C...Repeat above. If you are showing power at the two CLAMPS with the HL turned on, and no headlights, now

Connect one test lamp or multimeter probe to the engine block/ ground. Recheck at the POS post clamp. If you have power, move + probe to the big stud on the starter relay. If you have power there and no headlights, time to get the shop manual/ diagrams, as it is likely in the firewall connector/ ammeter/ other wiring.

FIRST FIX THE HEADLIGHTS. If it will not crank then we'll go from there

-
Back