65 Dart Wagon Conversion to a Sedan Delivery

-
Top one is a toad -not sure of the year - it’s a 60, 61 or 62! Bottom appears to be a 65.

More Progress! Although needing some additional work since it was constructed of several pieces, I now have a full length drip rail from the 2 door sedan’s B pillar to where it curves around in the back. And I have done the initial template (of several more I’m sure) to get an exact fit of where the driver’s side rear side window and rear door window area used to be. This gives a good idea of how a 65 Dart sedan delivery would have looked like if Chrysler had ever made one.

7F9D0DED-09D6-4D98-83FE-7E3D9B0BAEA0.jpeg

BC74BB37-8AC8-46AA-9F4E-9BE03114B4C9.jpeg

More Progress! Although needing some additional work since it was constructed of several pieces, I now have a full length drip rail from the 2 door sedan’s B pillar to where it curves around in the back. And I have done the initial template (of several more I’m sure) to get an exact fit of where the driver’s side rear side window and rear door window area used to be. This gives a good idea of how a 65 Dart sedan delivery would have looked like if Chrysler had ever made one.

View attachment 1715336503

View attachment 1715336507

Don, Soon, you will be selling pizza on the road.....a Delivery Sedan!!! "Don"imos Pizza would keep you away from patent infringement. The PW is looking good. With what material do you plan on filling the rear window area? Fiberglass would work well.....quiet and easy to cut and fit....possibly. Looks great. sgrip65

Don, Soon, you will be selling pizza on the road.....a Delivery Sedan!!! "Don"imos Pizza would keep you away from patent infringement.

I have some ideas about some writing but certainly no food!

The PW is looking good. With what material do you plan on filling the rear window area? Fiberglass would work well.....quiet and easy to cut and fit....possibly. Looks great. sgrip65

I’m planning on 20 or 22 gauge steel cut to fit from the final template and spot welded in place top and bottom.

Last edited:
So among the major modifications underway, I want to add power windows to both doors as documented by @66Dvert in his thread “I want Power Windows but I’m frugal” or something to that effect. My friend @sgrip65 sent me a pair of regulators should I screw up one of my originals.

My driver’s side original regulator and window bracket:

View attachment 1715335175

And the pair I received that Jerry Sgrip65 sent me. View attachment 1715335174

Now I need to find some motors!

it's not frugal, My wife calls it "cheap":lol: I call it using what I can find that might fit.
early dodge rams,96 on up to 2008 dakotas (pain in the rear to get out) late model vans. Ebay (92 dodge ram) Salvage yard is the best.
take a tracing of the power window motor bolt holes from the removed vehicle if you can. Tack the plate on and test first since you might have to clock it a bit to clear stuff and to get enough window adjustment.

Last edited:
early dodge rams,96 on up to 2008 dakotas (pain in the rear to get out) late model vans. Ebay (92 dodge ram) Salvage yard is the best.
take a tracing of the power window motor bolt holes from the removed vehicle if you can. Tack the plate on and test first since you might have to clock it a bit to clear stuff and to get enough window adjustment.

Thanks! On the sedan doors I’m using (66 2 door sedan doors), it looks like there is no adjustment in or out since the window channels are fixed. There might be some adjustment up/down.

I found brand new motors through Amazon which may be a better option for me as local junkyards have pretty much disappeared in our area or crushed all the earlier stuff.

Thanks! On the sedan doors I’m using (66 2 door sedan doors), it looks like there is no adjustment in or out since the window channels are fixed. There might be some adjustment up/down.

I found brand new motors through Amazon which may be a better option for me as local junkyards have pretty much disappeared in our area or crushed all the earlier stuff.

It's great that there is no in/out adjustment, 1 less problem to work around. Temp tack the plate to the regulator so it's easier to re-clock if it needed (it was needed on mine. Duh moment for me since I made the left window exactly the same as the right one instead of mirroring it :BangHead:) Then I had to move it a bit more to clear a stop bracket.

I’ve had those same “duh” moments as well!. You might have not seen it on your PW thread, so I will ask here - once everything is done, does the spring need to be used or can it be discarded. I was thinking the motor would act as a spring but have been wrong before!

Progress - even small progress is good! I got the door locks (66-later.) and power rear window key assembly (from a 63 or so) back from the locksmith who keyed everything to the ignition switch in the 80 J Body steering column that i’ll be using. He also cut my NOS key blank to match the other keys - it’s in the rear window switch at the top center.

B9D5FC78-2081-4126-9C29-7A76977865CB.jpeg

Thanks to @TrailBeast i’ve been thinking about the power door lock kit. So I ordered the kit which arrived yesterday and checked it out today.

EDIT: I would have uploaded a picture of the kit except I keep getting an error message so I’m guessing there’s an issue with the site. I was talking with @sgrip65 who mentioned the same problem

2nd EDIT: here’s the pic:

171D28AE-EE19-49E5-BD1A-C65B4D999F69.jpeg

Last edited:
it's not frugal, My wife calls it "cheap":lol: I call it using what I can find that might fit.

My wife calls me "The Chisler". Like a batman supervillian. Lol

Progress - even small progress is good! I got the door locks (66-later.) and power rear window key assembly (from a 63 or so) back from the locksmith who keyed everything to the ignition switch in the 80 J Body steering column that i’ll be using. He also cut my NOS key blank to match the other keys - it’s in the rear window switch at the top center.

View attachment 1715348048

that is cool as all get out
as for the spring removal or leave it
I think I answered this (or maybe not since I was in vacation mode at the time) but toss the spring or loosen it. 1 turn. I toss them since my windows are lighter and it's scary fast on the up and down so I don't need it any faster than what it is.

Thanks! You mentioned it either earlier or in your thread. I’ve already trashed them.

great project

i might have missed it ( i only looked at the pictures, didnt read all 10 pages) did you change the front doors as well ?

and whats the story with your oldest living in the Netherlands? happen to know the city?

great project

i might have missed it ( i only looked at the pictures, didnt read all 10 pages) did you change the front doors as well ?

and whats the story with your oldest living in the Netherlands? happen to know the city?

Thanks for checking in! The doors - yes, picked up a pair of 66 2 door sedan doors and the B pillars. I just didn’t like the look of the smaller 4 doors and the really long quarter panel. It’s been an experience adding the B pillar on the driver’s side (passenger still to come).

Oldest son living in the Netherlands - he was stationed there in the late 80’s, got out and went back b/c of a local girl. It didn’t work out but he stayed. He’s an aircraft technician qualified to work on most Boeing aircraft so works at Schiphol. He lives with his wife of 10 years and stepdaughter in Zevenhoven. He had a townhouse style house in Hoofdorrp which is if he has to work late stays and where we stay when visiting..

awesome, the bigger doors do make it all look gooder

off those three names i only recognized Schiphol, so im guessing the other two are smaller villages?

of course, me not knowing them doesnt say much, i grew up in the Netherlands, but so far south, every time i go back i actually fly into Zavetum (Brussels) because its a shorter drive up the then drive down would be from Schiphol

awesome, the bigger doors do make it all look gooder

I definitely agree!

off those three names i only recognized Schiphol, so im guessing the other two are smaller villages?

of course, me not knowing them doesnt say much, i grew up in the Netherlands, but so far south, every time i go back i actually fly into Zavetum (Brussels) because its a shorter drive up the then drive down would be from Schiphol

Yes, Hoopdorrp is about 4 or 5 miles from Schiphol and Zevenhoven is probably 20-30 minute away. We’ll be heading over there (as well as a few other places) next summer for a visit.

Awesome
You probably have a bigger chance meeting me there, then here
I'm sure we will be there sometime next year (since we didn't go this year) but we don't have any details yet

No firm travel plans for us as yet although it looks like we’ll be in the Netherlands mid June or a bit later after coming in from Scotland.

Major progress today - after carefully fitting and trimming many times, the panel that goes from the B pillar to the pillar at the rear window is in and spot welded in place. Even the front part of the new longer quarter panel is also coming along nicely.
541B9C34-F25C-4F77-9313-482E22D14AA1.jpeg

-
Back