65 Dart Wagon Conversion to a Sedan Delivery

-
I knew the lower quarter panel was gonna have some issues so out comes the DA with some 36 grit. Yep, it’s just like I expected - lots of pin holes and one big rust out (which I knew was there). The chances of finding a nice lower quarter is I’d say slim and none. Looks like might be time to attempt to fabricate a patch.

53C6A15C-02FD-41B8-928A-60DBB7B37DE8.jpeg

9D3176A6-2421-4DBF-9C0E-CFFC5DAA8097.jpeg

582CCA91-EC36-4BF3-902E-A507269C1AC5.jpeg

333ABADA-B482-4B31-A961-F39C2206852B.jpeg

A33B5B15-1C76-4124-A78F-F2DFF10A0DF0.jpeg

1DFDCD58-3E87-47D0-A691-3518EEDC1603.jpeg

I knew the lower quarter panel was gonna have some issues so out comes the DA with some 36 grit. Yep, it’s just like I expected - lots of pin holes and one big rust out (which I knew was there). The chances of finding a nice lower quarter is I’d say slim and none. Looks like might be time to attempt to fabricate a patch.

View attachment 1715390666

View attachment 1715390667

View attachment 1715390668

View attachment 1715390669

View attachment 1715390670

View attachment 1715390671

Hello 65 Dartman. I posted a like on you S.D. update, but I don't know if that like is appropriate? Finding the pin-holes is, most certainly, a dislike. Anyway, we all know that you will do it up right. Lots of talent and work going on with your restoration. Will it make it to the Nats next year? Looking forward to seeing the finished picture. It will be great, and it will be a very nice contribution to the classic Mopar Community. sgrip65

View attachment 1715390666

View attachment 1715390667

View attachment 1715390668

View attachment 1715390669

View attachment 1715390670

View attachment 1715390671
Looks like someone had shot at it. But with your skills of fabricating panels that will be a walk in the park. Can hardly wait to see it!

Sgrip65 - I definitely disliked what I uncovered but as far as the post goes, yes, thanks for the like!

As far as the Nats next year - nope - probably 2021 since we’re gonna be gone for the month of June next year.

Looks like someone had shot at it. But with your skills of fabricating panels that will be a walk in the park. Can hardly wait to see it!

Ulf, yes it does look like someone took a shotgun to it! It’s just LA/ocean rust. I will give it a try on the fabrication, although if I had an English Wheel, it would be so much easier!

Last edited:
Enjoying this build. Im sure your can handle that 1/4 panel without a wheel!

Ulf, yes it does look like someone took a shotgun to it! It’s just LA/ocean rust. I will give it a try on the fabrication, although if I had an English Wheel, it would be so much easier!
love your car but don't be dissing our salty air, that just looks like a lite case of smog rust

Don. Plenty of shotguns here in the Mid-West.....pheasant and duck hunting and all. But that car came from California....did it not? Yeah, looks like it got peppered with a shotgun....looks like what some of the signs out here look like after hunting season is over. Shame that folks do that, but yours was the elements it appears. Never heard of smog rust....is that something like acid rain? Best to you on your resto. sgrip65

Don! Will you leave the drip rail from the door or continue with the "glass" area all the way to the front doors? I saw a ute yesterday and they looks great. Would be great to complete such a build.
You will have a great ride when it's finished.

Ulf - the drip rail extends all the way to the back. Unfortunately, the drip rail over the door bends down just a bit so there is that small dip in the middle. I had thought about stopping the drip at the end of the door, but then what to do about the rail over the rear window. It just didn’t “look” right with no drip rail over where the window used to be. I would expect a Ute’s drip rail to end at the rear of the door

Ulf - the drip rail extends all the way to the back. Unfortunately, the drip rail over the door bends down just a bit so there is that small dip in the middle. I had thought about stopping the drip at the end of the door, but then what to do about the rail over the rear window. It just didn’t “look” right with no drip rail over where the window used to be. I would expect a Ute’s drip rail to end at the rear of the door
Would it be possible to connect the front drip rail with the rear one? I think that would look great and then just have a mile "ex side glass"! In that case you could have that recessed area and nobody would now! Sorry for all the popping ideas my friend! I'll probanly need some sleep after today. We are in a national park, Stora Sjofallet in the mountain range close to Norway. Too fresh air I guess!

Don. Any pics of your drip rail issue? Or maybe you have already posted pics of this question. BTW, what is a Ute's? Sorry if this is a novice question. sgrip65

Would it be possible to connect the front drip rail with the rear one? I think that would look great and then just have a mile "ex side glass"! In that case you could have that recessed area and nobody would now! Sorry for all the popping ideas my friend! I'll probanly need some sleep after today. We are in a national park, Stora Sjofallet in the mountain range close to Norway. Too fresh air I guess!

Ulf - the front is connected with the rear with a slight dip in the middle and yes the panel is recessed to the former window pinchweld along with added pinchweld where the rear door used to be. I’ll add some pics after we get home from dinner

Don. Any pics of your drip rail issue? Or maybe you have already posted pics of this question. BTW, what is a Ute's? Sorry if this is a novice question. sgrip65

No such thing as a novice question! A Ute is an Aussie pickup (Utility - shortened to Ute!) based on the Valiant wagon. I believe they used the wagon’s shorter front doors unlike my using the long sedan doors - IMHO better looking compared to the shorter wagon doors.

No such thing as a novice question! A Ute is an Aussie pickup (Utility - shortened to Ute!) based on the Valiant wagon. I believe they used the wagon’s shorter front doors unlike my using the long sedan doors - IMHO better looking compared to the shorter wagon doors.

Don. Learned again. Thanks. Looking great. sgrip65

Hi Don - in Europe, "Ute" is an old german female name with the meaning of "heir" or "property"... a name still common in Germany 8 ). Took out my 66 Barracuda yesterday and drove it into heavy swiss rain...(first time since restoration). It might soon look like your panels...:)

Hi Don - in Europe, "Ute" is an old german female name with the meaning of "heir" or "property"... a name still common in Germany 8 ). Took out my 66 Barracuda yesterday and drove it into heavy swiss rain...(first time since restoration). It might soon look like your panels...:)

Hi Robert - interesting that meanings of a word in another country is totally different in another country! I hope your Barracuda doesn’t end up looking like my Swiss cheese quarter panel! Your Barracuda is too nice of a car to end up like that!

Last edited:
Ute in Swedish is outside the house!

Hello Ulf. Now that you mention that, it brings backs memories from my youth and my Father's sister...my aunt. She would speak to us in broken English....half Swedish and half English. Seems to me I had heard that word before but not in reference to a vehicle.....so that's where I heard it before. Thanks for the memory. A bit off of the thread topic as the memory does not quite fit. Thanks. sgrip65

Don! Will you leave the drip rail from the door or continue with the "glass" area all the way to the front doors?

Ulf - the front is connected with the rear with a slight dip in the middle and yes the panel is recessed to the former window pinchweld along with added pinchweld where the rear door used to be.

The more I look at the fabricated drip rail where there’s a dip after the door drip rail, the less I like it. To straighten it out would require raising the rear of the door drip rail to level it out to the rest of the side drip rail where it joins at the rear. Then it wouldn’t “look” right above the door. I’m considering just cutting and removing all the side and back drip rail from the rear of the door back - just the over-the-door drip rail would remain. All the rest i’d Remove - would be like modern cars that have no drip rail at all

74C53336-4901-4C05-86BC-84A36AE7C8F1.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back