65 Dart Wagon Conversion to a Sedan Delivery

-
JD Thanks for your observations on the safety aspects!

Last edited:
Hi Ulf - I am looking at several options. I want to get both windows and rubber seals removed without destroying either so if someone needs them, they will be available.
I have a friend of mine looking for a set of rear quarter weatherstripping for a 60 Valiant wagon. Not sure if it's the same.
Can you add a picture how it looks off the car?

As soon as I get the window out, I will get some pics for you. The rubber is in great shape with no cracking at all and so far seems pretty pliable

I have a friend of mine looking for a set of rear quarter weatherstripping for a 60 Valiant wagon. Not sure if it's the same.

The part number of the weatherstrip 2255 726 (R) and 2255727 (L). If you know (or can find out) the part number of 60's weatherstrip, it could be determined if they are the same. They could be since the number is pretty low - 2255.

The part number of the weatherstrip 2255 726 (R) and 2255727 (L). If you know (or can find out) the part number of 60's weatherstrip, it could be determined if they are the same. They could be since the number is pretty low - 2255.
I'll check tomorrow Don.

The driver’s side rear door skin - also known now as the quarter panel front extension - is completely welded in place and started grinding the welds at the rear. Am also working on making the side rear window gasket as pliable as possible to remove and save it and the window

3F06F113-6318-4529-B911-473F81AB0F88.jpeg

My wife didn’t want to crawl in the back (even though it’s all cleaned out!) to push from the inside to help remove the driver’s rear side window. Got ahold of a Mopar buddy and between him and me, got the window and gasket removed without any damage.

D15F3573-6AA5-4CDB-9813-A02CF3B7319E.jpeg

There was a couple of rust holes at each end - one by the rear pillar and the other going up the C pillar so they’ll need to be fixed.

A7DDA712-A0C0-41DF-9266-7268ADCCC098.jpeg

3E1F76BD-FB25-4B3B-BD7F-4EE612A3E18F.jpeg

Still more progress - after several fittings and trimmings, got the driver’s side rear door skin tacked in place. The original quarter body lines line up perfectly with the rear door skin, B pillar and door. Still to do: fill the trim holes and cut out and repair the handle area

View attachment 1715309374

Don. Some interesting work going on with your sedan delivery. Is your grandson helping you with the welding? Fitting those B-pillars must have been a treat for you for sure. I see the pics, in the thread, of what the end will be....you have to have a vision to be able to consider such a restoration. Great work. It will be nice to see it complete. Thanks for sharing. sgrip65.

I've changed the title to reflect the direction the wagon is now going - from a station wagon to a sedan delivery or sometimes called a panel wagon.

Don. Some interesting work going on with your sedan delivery. Is your grandson helping you with the welding? Fitting those B-pillars must have been a treat for you for sure. I see the pics, in the thread, of what the end will be....you have to have a vision to be able to consider such a restoration. Great work. It will be nice to see it complete. Thanks for sharing. sgrip65.

Hi Jerry - the grandson is too busy with what’s going on in his life to be messing around with working with me lol!

Actual fitting the B Pillar was pretty easy - once got the door aligned with the cowl, the alignment with the rocker panel fell right into place. The B pillar fit perfectly at the top and bottom and once it was aligned with the door it was perfect. A few tack welds to hold it, open and close the door a couple of time and then weld it in place. Ditto with the rear door skin. The door closes with a resounding thunk every time! Hopefully will be a soft thunk after the seal is installed. I’m happy with the results so far.

Last edited:
Don! I have compared the quarter window on 60 Valiand and 65 Dart wagons. It's not the same partnumber but it might still be the same weatherstrip. My friend is interested in purchasing it to try it out.
Your project looks great. You really have some great metal skills for sure.

Don! I have compared the quarter window on 60 Valiand and 65 Dart wagons. It's not the same partnumber but it might still be the same weatherstrip. My friend is interested in purchasing it to try it out.

Hi Ulf - is he interested in just the driver’s side or both sides? If you flying over for either Carlisle or the Nationals, that would be the best way to get them back to Sweden!

Per your request, Here’s a picture of the driver’s side rear side window gasket looking at the lock strip side. I did not save the lock strip as it had shrunk at the ends.

56EEA124-472F-40C4-8755-69045FA98520.jpeg

Hi Don…great project, will be following this build! Looking back to post # 91, gas struts, don’t know if you’ve changed them but they are meant to be fitted with the rod end down wards….this keeps the internal seals lubricated, the way they were they will fail early! I’m building a 67 Dodge ute this is a quick test set up for struts, I'm currently making a custom fiberglass hood...on mine, the area where yours bolt on will be boxed into the void between the guard for a sealed speaker enclosure…..

3.jpg

Hi Don…great project, will be following this build! Looking back to post # 91, gas struts, don’t know if you’ve changed them but they are meant to be fitted with the rod end down wards….this keeps the internal seals lubricated, the way they were they will fail early!

Thanks for the info! I got the idea from another member and was following his installation as to how he did it. They are currently off the car while all the medications are going on. I have been subscribed to your thread for quite awhile and see you are much more talented than I am!
Don

Thanks for the info! I got the idea from another member and was following his installation as to how he did it. They are currently off the car while all the medications are going on. I have been subscribed to your thread for quite awhile and see you are much more talented than I am!
Don

Don. I just re-installed my torsion springs on my 65 after painting, and I have to tell you, these struts would have been much easier to install....maybe. Has anyone tried these on the deck lid? Great idea. Thanks. sgrip65

Hey Jerry - I think several members have replaced the torsion springs for struts on the decklid. A search would probably yields some results. When I was fitting them to the hood, I found it was so much easier to lift that heavy hood and they cleaned up the underhood area. Just my opinion!

Last edited:
Hey Jerry - I think several members have replaced the torsion springs for struts on the decklid. A search would probably yields some results. When I was fitting them to the hood, I found it was so much easier to lift that heavy hood and cleaned in the underhood area. Just my opinion!

Thanks Don. My original torsion springs are now installed on my 65 Dart GT Charger clone; however, my next project will have a consideration on using the struts. Great idea. I will search for those threads. I imagine these struts are sized regarding the lift capacity and length based upon the size and the weight of the hood? How did you size yours? Thanks for sharing. sgrip65

I imagine these struts are sized regarding the lift capacity and length based upon the size and the weight of the hood? How did you size yours? Thanks for sharing. sgrip65

Another member used them on his 66 Dart hood and said late 90’s/early 2000’s Mitsubishi Montero struts worked great. I just went with what he said he used, which worked great. They “might” have been a tad stronger than necessary as the hood could be easily raised with little effort. I say whatever works is good!

Last edited:
So among the major modifications underway, I want to add power windows to both doors as documented by @66Dvert in his thread “I want Power Windows but I’m frugal” or something to that effect. My friend @sgrip65 sent me a pair of regulators should I screw up one of my originals.

My driver’s side original regulator and window bracket:

D930A3BA-AD13-4345-8161-7A020783CCE6.jpeg

And the pair I received that Jerry Sgrip65 sent me.
4E6DBADA-8A0D-48D8-8DBA-0F71D733C27B.jpeg

Now I need to find some motors!

Last edited:
So among the major modifications underway, I want to add power windows to both doors as documented by @66Dvert in his thread “I want Power Windows but I’m frugal” or something to that effect. My friend @sgrip65 sent me a pair of regulators should I screw up one of my originals.

My driver’s side original regulator and window bracket:

View attachment 1715335175

And the pair I received that Jerry Sgrip65 sent me. View attachment 1715335174

Now I need to find some motors!

Don.....What's that...."Screw Up".....that word isn't in your vocabulary...is it? You will do fine. It will be interesting to see how this turns out for you. Did they have electric windows back in the day? Best. sgrip65

Don....Did they have electric windows back in the day? Best. sgrip65

Hey Jerry - A bodies never had them. In 65 they were available in B and C bodies. they were optional even before then in the 50’s and late 40’s I believe.

-
Back