65 Dart Wagon Conversion to a Sedan Delivery

-
Looks great Don! Do you know if anyone reproduces the 4-speed humps?

Hi Ulf - to my knowledge they are not being reproduced. A friend of mine and FABO member borrowed the hump and took it to a fabricator who said he could reproduce them. My friend needed at least 10 orders to proceed; had one member express some interest so that’s as far as that went. Too bad as anyone converting an early A to a 4 speed could have used a hump!

Hi Ulf - to my knowledge they are not being reproduced. A friend of mine and FABO member borrowed the hump and took it to a fabricator who said he could reproduce them. My friend needed at least 10 orders to proceed; had one member express some interest so that’s as far as that went. Too bad as anyone converting an early A to a 4 speed could have used a hump!

Don. Looks great. Fitting those floor pans can be fun. On my 65, they were good to go. On the 66, not so much. Did you butt weld or lap weld on you floor pans. Keep up the good work. Keep in mind, your grandsons trucks and girlfriends.....oh, to be young again....but, then again, maybe not. Looking nice. Old Dart 66.

Well, on to better things. I knew the lower cowl with the air vents was bad on the wagon - just didn’t really realize how bad. First two pics are laying on the floor shooting up towards the holes

91545207-2254-414D-87E8-93B335DD83D0.jpeg

4FF04C0A-049B-44A2-A873-E120726BA4DE.jpeg

So with the help of my master body man friend we just cut the upper cowl off since I have a rust-free one. The next two pics are looking in from the top. I easily removed the extremely rusted away water barrier from the driver’s side. Yep, California cars do rust!

90F79C70-78A4-44EB-8E64-D2068C76B62F.jpeg

602404B8-39A9-46CA-BE10-504C3689EF19.jpeg

Last edited:
Look Ma! No Cowl! Yes, it’s gone! Put out of it’s rusty misery!

D34DFF02-6A36-4791-A681-748970E51F0C.jpeg

And this one will be transplanted in it’s place

D22C12A1-3B97-49B6-8C26-3ECD309A9B86.jpeg

I got my Mitsu strut kit yesterday. I had previously removed the hood torsion bars so that was already done.View attachment 1714983773 I am using the forward hole in the hinge arm so I needed a nut to secure the ball studs. The stud takes a metric nut (can't remember the size as I bought a locking nut that fit the threads).

View attachment 1714983781
I raised and supported the hood as high as I thought practical- I suspect it's higher than would be with the hood torsion bars.

View attachment 1714983782

To install the lower Strut mount, the fenders need to be removed (which mine are). I positioned the struts on the side of the cowl behind the where the splash panel is mounted and secured them with self-tapping screws.

View attachment 1714983785 View attachment 1714983786
I see the screws protrude more than I would prefer on the kick panel side. I will get some bolts just long enough to get a thin jam nut to tighten down. Can't be having these screws be making holes in my brand new kick panels!

View attachment 1714983800

And now the hood opens pretty much on it's own and no more ugly torsion bars!

View attachment 1714983788
if i may ask, where did you pick up hood strut kit and what are the collapsed length of struts

if i may ask, where did you pick up hood strut kit and what are the collapsed length of struts

I bought my strut kit from an eBay auto parts seller although it should probably be available just about any decent parts supplier. It’s for a rear hatch for a late 90’s/early 2000’s Mitsubishi Montero. Another FABO member recommended the kit for the Montero after he used it. I cannot remember the collapsed length and they are now removed so the cowl can be replaced. Bear in mind to install it (or probably any other kit as well), the fenders need to be removed.

My body man friend and I spent yesterday doing the trim and fit, trim and fit routine and more trim and fit of the 65 Barracuda cowl I saved when I parted it out last summer Finally we were both satisfied with the way it now drops right into place with the replacement cowl’s windshield pinchweld lining up perfectly with what we left if the original pinchweld. We double checked the measurements we took prior to cutting everything apart and everyone was spot on to the originally taken measurements. The upper cowl is going to need a bit of metalwork as there was some filler in it as well as a rust hole under the lead applied at the factory. Guess they figured no one would be working on these cars 50 plus years later!

Going from no cowl:
AE7B8B2C-6F62-4DA9-9F9F-90DC5AF0602D.jpeg

To fit and trim:
1CA48B5E-7069-4000-9EB9-6DF24CF4EA8B.jpeg

To final fit!
7B85158E-29EC-4F05-BB52-B48A9D1F6CDD.jpeg

368FC202-5909-461F-8452-AD8137AE8F40.jpeg

Even the alignment holes on the AC firewall I installed back in July 2915 firewall pinchweld lined up with the new cowl.
510214D9-ECCE-477F-8529-6DF4BCB54970.jpeg

Last edited:
My body man friend and I spent yesterday doing the trim and fit, trim and fit routine and more trim and fit of the 65 Barracuda cowl I save when I parted it out last summer Finally we were both satisfied with the way it now drops right into place with the replacement cowl’s windshield pinchweld lining up perfectly with what we left if the original pinchweld. We double checked the measurements we took prior to cutting everything apart and everyone was spot on to the originally taken measurements. The upper cowl is going to need a bit of metalwork as there was some filler in it as well as a rust hole under the lead applied at the factory. Guess they figured no one would be working on these cars 50 plus years later!

Going from no cowl:
View attachment 1715269327

To fit and trim:View attachment 1715269328

To final fit!
View attachment 1715269329

View attachment 1715269331
Even the alignment holes on the AC firewall I installed back in July 2915 firewall pinchweld lined up with the new cowl.
View attachment 1715269338
Good work guys!

Today was clean any place that’s going to be welded thoroughly clean to bare metal - the firewall and cowl pinchweld, drilling new holes in the cowl pinchweld and again fitting everything in place again. After double and triple checking the windshield opening again after the final fit, it was time to weld all the new “spot welds” on the cowl to firewall pinchweld. The new cowl is in place, securely welded across the front and side pinchweld and to the existing A pillars. Some minor welding still remains, but that’s for another day!

Doing some welding on the side pinchweld

ED502AF1-55FD-40D8-85A9-32284DFDDE20.jpeg

For all intents and purposes, the replacement cowl is in.

D8415F3D-E497-476E-A0FC-F757CF7B68F3.jpeg

Last edited:
Today was clean any place that’s going to be welded thoroughly clean to bare metal - the firewall and cowl pinchweld, drilling new holes in the cowl pinchweld and again fitting everything in place again. After double and triple checking the windshield opening again after the final fit, it was time to weld all the new “spot welds” on the cowl to firewall pinchweld. The new cowl is in place, securely welded across the front and side pinchweld and to the existing A pillars. Some minor welding still remains, but that’s for another day!

Doing some welding on the side pinchweld

View attachment 1715269551

For all intents and purposes, the replacement cowl is in.

View attachment 1715269549

Don. WOW. What else need be said. Indeed, Ca cars do rust. I have often wondered when folks say a California car....no salt on the roads. But what about the air on the coast? My Arizona 65, which I thought was rust free, became an untrue thought when I removed the paint. Not nearly like the cowl on yours. Lots of work, but everything else you have shared with us is first class top shelf. Best, and great job. sgrip65

I bought my strut kit from an eBay auto parts seller although it should probably be available just about any decent parts supplier. It’s for a rear hatch for a late 90’s/early 2000’s Mitsubishi Montero. Another FABO member recommended the kit for the Montero after he used it. I cannot remember the collapsed length and they are now removed so the cowl can be replaced. Bear in mind to install it (or probably any other kit as well), the fenders need to be removed.
You ar emaking progress- keep it going- going to be BEAUTIFUL

Don. WOW. What else need be said. Indeed, Ca cars do rust. I have often wondered when folks say a California car....no salt on the roads. But what about the air on the coast?

The wagon was definitely a coastal car from the LA area. The lady who owned it must have taken her kids to the beach a lot as it seemed like there was a lot sand iunder the back seat and under the carpet on the passenger side (which had lots of rust holes in the floor. I can understand the rusty front floors considering the condition of the cowl!

Although I haven’t yet finished work on the cowl, I’m really looking forward to the next rust repair project as much as I did on the cowl - NOT! It is the inside part of the passenger A pillar!

8983C358-5044-42A2-8D73-10E15AC28DE8.jpeg

14CF1574-041B-4431-A4F3-16026D76573E.jpeg

Yes, that is rust out on the inside of the A Pillar. On Some models, such as the Barracuda (and this Dart wagon), the A pillars are finished with plastic trim screwed to the inside panel. Unless the windshield gasket was leaking (I found no evidence of that when we removed the windshield), I’ve no clue why it would rust out so bad - the driver’s side is perfect!. Thanks @Lee Robinson who sold me a rust-free passenger A Pillar. Now I’ve got to decide on the best course of action - replace just the inner part or the whole A pillar - decisions decisions
6276F19E-9B1D-4869-B84E-8BADD89C63E3.jpeg

DC261808-48D3-4EBE-AA17-ABA547868E99.jpeg

Last edited:
Although I haven’t yet finished work on the cowl, I’m really looking forward to the next rust repair project as much as I did on the cowl - NOT! It is the inside part of the passenger A pillar!

View attachment 1715274671

View attachment 1715274672
Yes, that is rust out on the inside of the A Pillar. On Some models, such as the Barracuda (and this Dart wagon), the A pillars are finished with plastic trim screwed to the inside panel. Unless the windshield gasket was leaking (I found no evidence of that when we removed the windshield), I’ve no clue why it would rust out so bad - the driver’s side is perfect!. Thanks @Lee Robinson who sold me a rust-free passenger A Pillar. Now I’ve got to decide on the best course of action - replace just the inner part or the whole A pillar - decisions decisions
View attachment 1715274673

View attachment 1715274674

View attachment 1715274675

View attachment 1715274676

Hi Don. I agree, why one side and not the other??? Leaky windshield...possibly. Is that the side where the kids kept spraying theirCoke Cola at the beach? Your dilligence on rust repair needs to be admired. Keeping things square and straight is a skill in itself! Lots of pre-measurements I would assume. Keep up the great work. Ambition, you must have. Best. sgrip65

That’s not the only pillar that’s gonna need repair! The side pillar between the passenger side rear door and the rear side window has major rust-out as well. Looks like the side window is going to come out. Strange that everything on the driver’s side is in great condition!
F051E26D-52BE-454A-8B39-697A34264C21.jpeg

View attachment 1715274671

View attachment 1715274672
View attachment 1715274673

View attachment 1715274674
Don! You do a great job with the rust issues. Strange about one A pillar ok and the other one dead! Can itbe an A/C car? Sometimes they have horrible rust issues!

Don! You do a great job with the rust issues. Strange about one A pillar ok and the other one dead! Can itbe an A/C car? Sometimes they have horrible rust issues!

65DartCharger/Dartman. I never gave that a consideration. Would AC have an effect on only one side? I do not know! California car, parked at the beach, always parked with the same side to the surf? Possible? Wagons and the surf dudes/dudettes were big back in the 60s early 70s....probably still are. Beach Blanket Bingo....Annette Funicello and Frankie Avalon. Everyone had a Woodie, a wagon, a mustang, or a jalopy of so sort. Hit the beach, not the work site. Did the car's history show it was owned close to the ocean? I am curious why one side is sick, and the other side not. Some sort of chemical...possibly. Hmmmm. sgrip65

Nope, it was not an AC car (but it will be!). In fact, the only option was power steering and power brakes (dealer installed I’m guessing); not even a radio.

65DartCharger/Dartman. I never gave that a consideration. Would AC have an effect on only one side? I do not know! California car, parked at the beach, always parked with the same side to the surf? Possible? Did the car's history show it was owned close to the ocean? I am curious why one side is sick, and the other side not. Some sort of chemical...possibly. Hmmmm. sgrip65

I doubt it was always parked passenger side to the ocean. I do know that the PO(s) did go to the beach as there was a ton of sand under the back seat and carpeting. Strange, there was none behind the back seat. Still doesn’t explain the A pillar rust out only on one side and which was always covered by the pillar post cover. It’s a mystery that only the wagon can answer!

Nope, it was not an AC car (but it will be!). In fact, the only option was power steering and power brakes (dealer installed I’m guessing); not even a radio.

I doubt it was always parked passenger side to the ocean. I do know that the PO(s) did go to the beach as there was a ton of sand under the back seat and carpeting. Strange, there was none behind the back seat. Still doesn’t explain the A pillar rust out only on one side and which was always covered by the pillar post cover. It’s a mystery that only the wagon can answer!

As they say, if only walks could talk....in this case, 65 Dart Wagons. sgrip65

I have seen mouse nests inside the pillars make it rust out like on your long roof. Could that be from a mouse nest?

I didn't think of that but it might be. I didn't see anything or feel anything when I poked my fingers in there although if there's a nest, it's likely near the top where the liquid could run down to where it's rotted away - yuck! I'll find out once I get into it depending on which way In go - complete pillar or just the inside panel.

I didn't think of that but it might be. I didn't see anything or feel anything when I poked my fingers in there although if there's a nest, it's likely near the top where the liquid could run down to where it's rotted away - yuck! I'll find out once I get into it depending on which way In go - complete pillar or just the inside panel.
Curious that i have noticed thru the years mouse holes/nests hidden behind the sunvisor- almost always behind the passenger side-- anyone speak "mousese?"

also it seems that usually the drivers side rusts more in areas where salt is used on roads- probably because of the spray from cars passing by the other wasy- I think also back in the day that driver's side headlights burned out more than passenger side....

Curious that i have noticed thru the years mouse holes/nests hidden behind the sunvisor- almost always behind the passenger side-- anyone speak "mousese?"
Interesting observation! Now that you mentioned it, i’ve Seen many more on the passenger side than the driver’s side. In fact when I removed the taillights from the rear of the quarter panels, there was a large mouse nest of upholstery material down in the quarter panel - nothing on the driver’s side. Coincidence?

also it seems that usually the drivers side rusts more in areas where salt is used on roads- probably because of the spray from cars passing by the other wasy- I think also back in the day that driver's side headlights burned out more than passenger side....

That seems to be true!

And the rust repairs continue - on the passenger side inner A Pillar. Got the rotted out portion removed
C80215E6-DB02-4ED6-AAB5-8E4601614F1E.jpeg

And the pinchwelds on the outer post cleaned where the inner replacement piece I got from Lee Robinson will be spot welded as originally done. Separated the inner and outer replacement pillar and fit it in place ready to do the spot welds as original.

BD706689-8B19-4DB5-B601-43589BE60C83.jpeg

And welded in place, welds ground as needed and now nearly ready for primer and blue interior paint

EB49A501-4D05-4103-81A0-0988BDD5F323.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back