65 Dart Wagon Conversion to a Sedan Delivery

-
Moving on to the next part of the project- Look! No driver’s side B pillar!
After cutting all the visible (and hidden spot welds), It will be moved rearward to clear the 65 Barracuda door I saved when I parted the Barracuda out
CD1E7485-F200-47D5-AD20-E4F100990ADF.jpeg

Have got the door hung and aligned and it fits very well with the A pillar and roofline. After modifying the B pillar for this project, I will be re-using the modified B pillar. Will it be a 2 door hardtop wagon or ???? Could it be a hardtop Ute?
6BD32A70-6428-4D44-ABE8-3AB41AF40E3A.jpeg

Last edited:
After cutting all the visible (and hidden spot welds), It will be moved rearward to clear the 65 Barracuda door I saved when I parted the Barracuda out
View attachment 1715283915

Have got the door hung and aligned and it fits very well with the A pillar and roofline. After modifying the B pillar for this project, I will be re-using the modified B pillar. Will it be a 2 door hardtop wagon or ???? Could it be a hardtop Ute? Stayed tuned for further updates!
View attachment 1715283918
What a cool project you're doing Don! Can't wait to see the result.
Can you use a B-pillar from a 2 door sedan? That will give you the outer area easier to line up with the quarter panel. Anyway I just enjoy you're skills with weldning.

Thanks Ulf! A sedan B pillar would certainly work and fit better; however, I have to work with what I’ve got which is the sedan pillar. As another member stated in his custom Barracuda thread, it’s only sheet metal!

Can you use a B-pillar from a 2 door sedan? That will give you the outer area easier to line up with the quarter panel.

A Mopar friend of mine found a 2 door sedan in a junkyard so i’ve Been pulling parts and will be using the 2 door sedan doors and it’s B pillars instead of the hardtop doors and modified wagon B pillars. It will be a much cleaner install!

Last edited:
More Cad plated parts arrived today - the tailgate specialized hinge and its shouldered bolt, B pillar strikers and shims and the bolts for them, AC hose clamps, throttle cable retaining bracket and nut. I love receiving stuff like this!

3ED2456A-DFC2-4A61-8A2F-259F8995D7AB.jpeg

View attachment 1715283915

Have got the door hung and aligned and it fits very well with the A pillar and roofline. After modifying the B pillar for this project, I will be re-using the modified B pillar. Will it be a 2 door hardtop wagon or ???? Could it be a hardtop Ute? Stayed tuned for further updates!
View attachment 1715283918

Here's a picture of one I saw recently at a car show up here.

wagon.jpg

In Post 182 I said I’ve decided to do a conversion to a 2 door sedan delivery and with the doors and B pillars fron the 66 2 door sedan my friend found in a junkyard, it will hopefully become a reality. Pics from the junkyard. I’ve managed to pull the passenger door and it’s sill trim from the 66 sedan.

5B57C897-BD88-4911-8475-E349D17EB79F.jpeg

Also pulled all the factory slant 6 AC parts from the engine compartments and from under the dash.

C07107DC-CC57-4DFD-81F0-C059714CB02D.jpeg

I am waiting on the yard owner to move the car so I can get to the driver’s door.
This is all on the driver’s side.

5B486F66-6EF8-4228-B8A1-B216BA166B3C.jpeg

Squeezing between the saplings and the driver’s side showed this side to be in decent condition.

D856F604-A106-4720-89EC-7853C8B87FF2.jpeg

There’s a tree in front of the car as well to the rear - car has been there for quite awhile!

C75DD350-58E1-4D47-9ADD-DC4960795114.jpeg

I will be bringing a generator and sawzall to cut out both B Pillars and the quarter panel up to the wheelwell. Will also be cutting out the cowl and AC firewall for another member.

In the same yard I spotted the nose of a 65 Dart peeking out of the woods - the candy canes gave it away! It is a 65 Dart wagon with a factory roof rack and power window tailgate. I will be pulling all that stuff so it looks like it’ll be a long day when I get back up there. Unfortunately I neglected to get some pics of the wagon - my bad!

Last edited:
Don, it looks great, and it will be a great ride when you finish. I am nearing the end of my 10 year journey with my Lancer and that feels good. You will have a real treasure when you reach your goal!
1961PlymouthServiceCar.jpg

Thanks for the picture of the early early A sedan delivery. It looks like whoever did this rendition used the wagon doors. I had thought about going this way as that’s how the Aussie Utes are done. I like the look of the longer doors of the hardtop/2 door sedan so that’s the way I’m going.

Last edited:
Thanks fir the picture of the early early A sedan delivery. It looks like whoever did this used the wagon doors. I had thought about going this way as that’s how the Aussie Utes are done. I like the look of the longer doors of the hardtop/2 door sedan so that’s the way I’m going.
I think it will look great. But it is some work to do it. Thanks heaven you got the skills. Looking forward to see the result.

I think it wiill look great. But it is some work to do it. Thanks heaven you got the skills. Looking forward to see the result.

I will do a Lot of planning and templating before the first cut is made on any of the metal for filling in where the side windows and rear door windows used to be!

Just received more stuff I sent to Eric for black phosphate, Cad and gold anodized. The hood insulation clips could now easily pass for NOS - this is a Before shot:
7D5648F7-3994-4334-9E70-76C05CC6FFA8.jpeg

And the After:
EFABF302-C2EC-4C24-8F78-3F5B90C922A2.jpeg

F8C9E7D1-F791-4616-A8D2-F7F1C07D20C1.jpeg

And a bunch of little screws, machine screws and other little things. I also sent the cruise control adapter (top of the pic) in case I decide to add it. If so it’ll be the Dakota Digital unit which will interface with my gauge unit.
FE3D88D6-223F-4830-8842-193B9A93BE12.jpeg

AE6626B7-C51A-44FF-BC5E-2E2C4A2B1C82.jpeg

Last edited:
Just received more stuff I sent to Eric for black phosphate, Cad and gold anodized. The hood insulation clips could now easily pass for NOS - this is a Before shot:
View attachment 1715304195

And the After:
View attachment 1715304190

View attachment 1715304189

And a bunch of little screws, machine screws and other little things. I also sent the cruise control adapter (top of the pic) in case I decide to add it. If so it’ll be the Dakota Digital unit whic will interface with my gauge unit.
View attachment 1715304192

View attachment 1715304193
Looks awesome Don!

A Mopar friend of mine found a 2 door sedan in a junkyard so i’ve Been pulling parts and will be using the 2 door sedan doors and it’s B pillars instead of the hardtop doors and modified wagon B pillars. It will be a much cleaner install!

And the driver’s side door is fitted as was the B pillar after all the excess metal was removed. So far everything fits like it was made fir it.

E7414451-8BE6-4A27-B3BF-20C899C311B0.jpeg

I couldn’t use the part of the quarter panel where it was cut from the parts car - there was a huge piece to fill in at the rear above the rear door dogleg. I will be using the rear door skin after cutting it to fit as needed.
185F42D3-33AE-4022-8384-C78E73FBD10A.jpeg

The bottom on both sides of the driver’s B pillar required rust repair so I fabricated a couple of patches and welded them in.

E33A363F-557C-4302-9B69-6C2AC7AE5185.jpeg

Last edited:
Don! You're skills are amasing. Keep up the good work man!

Slow but sure and progress WILL be made. 30 or so minutes of work today and the driver’s side rear door is now separated from the inner frame. It’s amazing how much the inner panel weighs compared to just the outer skin! Now it will be a matter of trim and fit until it fits the opening perfectly. I will deal with where the door handle was after the panel is welded in place

FE3DF694-022D-43EB-AB01-3FD8D4F05AE9.jpeg

I will use the upper part of the frame when I tackle the inside.

F797B8C4-054D-4190-A80F-CBFC592708A7.jpeg

58D6B942-8267-416F-A0D8-84FB4D260D90.jpeg

Last edited:
I would like to discuss some safety aspects for my Longroof since another member brought it up in a different threadFor safety - original bench or switch to bucket? | For A Bodies Only Mopar Forum
the safety aspects of bench versus standard low back buckets versus bench/buckets with built in headrests. Another member commented on use of a shoulder belt in a non-shoulder belt equipped vehicle - 66 (and possible 67) and earlier vehicles. And another member commented on the non-latching issues with earlier buckets (not applicable to a bench with or without headrests).

So, this other thread has got me thinking what if we ever get rear ended or hit another vehicle - I drive defensively in our vehicles but the girl in back of me who’s too busy texting to pay attention doesn’t. My original plan was to use a complete 66 Barracuda interior - front low back no headrest, non-latching buckets with the fold down Barracuda rear seat which will remain folded as it’s just me and the wife. I am definitely planning on adding the one piece seat/shoulder belts. Other safety features I'm planning is adding amber turn signals where the back-up lights go (separate 63 backup lights will be added for the backup lights) and a 3rd brake light above the rear window.

I have available a pair of later Ram buckets with the safety features my 66 buckets lack - the built in headrests, latch features AND built in shoulder/lap belts. The upholstery is mint with no wear at all. Of course it wouldn’t match the already completed rear seats but I suppose I could get an upholstery shop to find the matching cloth material and make a matching set for the rear seat. I also have a set of late 90’s Dakota buckets without the built-in shoulder belt. Neither would look period correct of course.

For those following this thread, please pass along your thoughts concerning usage of the Ram or Dak seats. Would you want the later seats for the safety features or keep it period correct with the Barracuda seats. All comments are welcome and might help me make a decision!

Still more progress - after several fittings and trimmings, got the driver’s side rear door skin tacked in place. The original quarter body lines line up perfectly with the rear door skin, B pillar and door. Still to do: fill the trim holes and cut out and repair the handle area

E50DB207-00C4-42DC-A02E-F921FB43E8D2.jpeg

Still more progress - after several fittings and trimmings, got the driver’s side rear door skin tacked in place. The original quarter body lines line up perfectly with the rear door skin, B pillar and door. Still to do: fill the trim holes and cut out and repair the handle area

View attachment 1715309374
Awesome work! How will you attach the side panels? Looks good Don!

Awesome work! How will you attach the side panels? Looks good Don!

Hi Ulf - I am looking at several options. I want to get both windows and rubber seals removed without destroying either so if someone needs them, they will be available.

Nice work Don! To comment on the seat plans, I won't use low back seats anymore. I fixed up a 64 Belvedere wagon several years ago, and used a bench set out of a late model Caprice because it had headrests, and a fold down armrest. I also installed 3 point retractable seat belts. I just don't want to get my neck broke by some texting idiot. I'm fixing up a 65 Barracuda, and will take the mint original buckets out and install newer style buckets. There are some nice seats in BMW's! Keep up the good work on the long roof. :)

-
Back