'65 electronic ign and dual field diagram

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
I have been looking for this on the web, but couldnt find both in one diagram so I sketched one up. If something is wrong, let me know. The colors may be off, but I was looking at 3 years of diagrams. I was in the process of rebuilding my engine wire harness and decided to go all out from the terminals on back to the ends. I had splices all over the place.
harnesscolor.jpg

Boy, pishsta, you reinvented the wheel.

There's a couple of diagrams over at "My Mopar":

So the section you have on the electronic regulator is correct, but I wish people would stop calling these a "dual field." The correct name is "isolated field," meaning "isolated above ground" so separate it from the earlier 69/ earlier with one end of the field grounded

Dual_Field_Alternator_Wiring.jpg

A couple of things important to realize about the ECU wiring, one is that the two resistor sections are DIFFERENT so that means that one specific side must be connected to the coil, and the other to the ECU

Second is to pay attention to diagrams here and there. Some refer to the ECU pins looking down at the connector on the ECU box , others looking into the HARNESS ECU connector

5 pin ECU wiring:

Ignition_System_5pin.jpg

and 4 pin ECU wiring

Ignition_System_4pin.jpg

Yeah, I guess I did, but I was also rebuilding the wiring harness and doing an "isolated field" upgrade so I added the appropriate wiring to the diagram so if anyone wanted to do it from scratch, they could include the E voltage regulator wire to the ballast resistor splice. The dual ballast is keyed so I included the small notch next to the screw hole to orientate the ballast. and included the ECU footprint to clock the harness wires. And mine has color too!

Here is the early to late charging system conversion they show on BBD.

Attachments

• Late Alternator Conversion.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 552
<<<<<<<<<<<Errata>>>>>>>

Oops, I goofed in one spot. The "key" on the bulkhead connector should be opposite of where I put it. It should be on the LEFT side, and that is looking at the wire side, not the contact side. So its between the oil sender wire and the vacant space. Sorry if I fried any ones harness ! Thanks for all the other diagrams, looks like we have one thread with every diagram in it now.

harnesscolord.jpg

-
Back