65 hi-po exhaust vs 67 hi-po 273

-

Hang10dartsport

Reaction score
is the system and components the same for 65 and 67
I have a complete original 67 set removed from car early on, from headers back.
would the y pipe, muffler, resonator be the same?
both are 273 commando cars. thank you

There was no "HP" exhaust for the 273.

No, the 64-65 273 had a rear facing driver side flange, the later (maybe even 66?) had a downward facing flange. Check out the clearance divot between 3 and 5 ports on the 65 for the power steering box!
s-l640.jpg

win_20170314_10_21_44_pro-jpg.jpg

My apologies then. I don't know why the heck I read manifolds into it. He clearly said exhaust components. I took a stupid pill I guess.
I do that all the time. Often when doing moderator duties.
:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: LOL

You should be able to make it work. Might take some work on the left side head pipe or using the later manifold. Whether it is exactly the same? I doubt it, but...

65 engine bays can only use 1964-66 273 manifolds, putting 67 273 manifold on an early a will not work, on the driverside because of the manifold outlet being different, but on the passenger side it is the same.

Last edited:
A-Body HiPo Exhaust System

67 is listed separate but it looks like it's because the manifolds are different as mentioned above. I don't see different pipes listed for 67 though. @lkopaska has a new system on his 67 he is doing. I bet he would know.

Last edited:
thank you, yes, I have the manifolds. I was wondering if the y-pipe, the longer pipe, muffler and resonator were the same.
I should have been more specific, but wanted to know if the factory power pk exhaust from a 67 Commando car would fit on the 65 commando car.
Thank you all for the quick responses. much appreciated!

I don't know if the hanger locations would be the same in the rear, either. Look at the long rear overhang on a 67 compared to a 64-66. I'm sure an exhaust shop could make it fit, one way or another, but the y-pipe is different, as already established, and I doubt it would be a straight bolt-in anywhere. But you have the important component -- the resonator.

Just find a good muffler shop they can make it work, they can use what you got and add what you need.

-
Back