65 valiant electrical problemos

-

Jp5

Reaction score
gents,
i've got a strange issue that i'm hoping someone else has experienced. i had the car on stands for a couple weeks and when i took it down it woudn't start. i figure the battery just died so i charged it, got it tested (good) and it still won't start. just a click on key turn, then nothing on subsequent key turns. so i hooked up jumper cables and jumped it. after 5 minutes connected to my truck it started. i let it idle for a few minutes but once i touched the gas it stalled. couldn't get it to start again even with jumpers. replaced the voltage regulator and ballast, still nothing, not even a click on the key turn. oil like comes and goes and the dome light comes and goes. the dome bulb filament goes from bright to dead to barely glowing, back to dead, etc.. at one point while my charger was hooked up, the dome light was very bright but when i pushed the brake pedal everything went black.. plus i could hear my battery charger kicking off and back on. any thoughts would be helpful.

thanks in advance, guys.

This sounds like a "main power" problem

Could be anything from a dirty battery clamp,,,,,,,,,,,,,,even though they look clean

to a battery cable internally corroded

to a bulkhead connector problem

or at the ammeter

To start running this down you need some basic tools

1......Shop manual If you don't have one, download it here

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088657

Sometimes, the wiring diagrams at MyMopar are easier to follow, but not always correct or complete:

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

These two here:

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1965/65ValiantBarracudaA.jpg

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1965/65ValiantBarracudaB.jpg

2......Some clip leads, you can buy bags of pre made ones, or just the clips from Radio Shack

3......A decent multimeter, also available at RadShack or most any parts store, hardware store, or Sears, even Lowes or Home Depot

First thing to do is to take a screwdriver or pliers and jumper across the starter relay...............the two largest, exposed terminals, making sure the trans is in park or neutral, and see whether and how well the starter cranks.

If it does not, you have a problem with the battery, the main cables, connections at the starter or the starter itself.

If the starter cranks nice and strong as it should, and you are still having problems by using the key, then the problem is in the bulkhead connector, the ammeter wire connections, or the ammeter feed through connections

It is my understanding.................that in 65 the main ammeter / battery wires feed through the bulkhead on two separate connections, so check those first

Looking at your dome light is a poor man's multimeter, and good to use when stuck away from home. However, you need a real multimeter and knowledge how to use it. I get them free at Harbor Freight and carry one in every car. Knowledge from youtube and wikipedia. Start probing voltages as you try to crank. The starter requires >8 V from case to big stud in order to work. Don't fault it if you aren't providing that. Stalling after it is running could be many things, so break it down to "no spark" or "no fuel". I determine using an in-line spark tester and starter fluid.

Could be as simple as a poor connection in a battery terminal especially if they are the bolt on replacement battery cable ends.

thanks, guys. this is helpful to hear. i'll run this down and let you know what solves it.

jp

Connections, connections, connections!!!... Clean every connection in the starting system, starter wires, ground leads, everything!!! Then try it with a known good battery and report back!! Geof

can't believe it was the battery connection. wire brushed and sanded the terminals and cable connectors (also found a crack in the positive cable clamp which now needs to be replaced) reconnected and the engine fired right up. what a pleasure to finally have a simple solution to a problem.

thanks, gents.
jp

-
Back