66 Barracuda Big Block

-

66lowdeck

66 4 Speed Barracuda
Reaction score
Anyone have any knowledge or experience swapping out the original 273 LA to a BB 400? Car is factory 4 speed.

The early A's have narrow front frame rail. That means you will have to cut out/modify the fender wells. They also are not suited for the large BB bell housing so transmission tunnel modifications would be required. Once you jump through those hoops, handling will most certainly be an issue unless you plan on driving 1/4 mile at a time. IMO, early A's and BB don't mix very well. 67 on up is a much better choice. 65'

I've seen it done with an early A-body without any noticeable cutting. Factory exhaust manifolds were used, but were likely angle milled.

I've seen it done with an early A-body without any noticeable cutting. Factory exhaust manifolds were used, but were likely angle milled.
Thanks Jim. That's what i was told by the engine builder. The 400 is smaller than the 413/426/440 blocks. I found a abody BB bell housing for a 66 that should be just enough clearance. Factory exhaust manifolds are the plan as well!

I'm gathering parts for my 400 swap into my 64 Valiant now. I am going to use the later spool type mounts and just make brackets that bolt right to the mount pads on the K frame. It appears from all the measurements I have taken and pictures that @pishta so graciously sent that the factory C body HP manifolds will work. I don't know for sure yet, as I am still driving the car with the slant six right now. I'll put it this way. I'm gonna "make it" work. I need a 10.5 bellhousing to fit an big block for the A230 three speed. That's gonna be my biggest hang up.

I'm gathering parts for my 400 swap into my 64 Valiant now. I am going to use the later spool type mounts and just make brackets that bolt right to the mount pads on the K frame. It appears from all the measurements I have taken and pictures that @pishta so graciously sent that the factory C body HP manifolds will work. I don't know for sure yet, as I am still driving the car with the slant six right now. I'll put it this way. I'm gonna "make it" work. I need a 10.5 bellhousing to fit an big block for the A230 three speed. That's gonna be my biggest hang up.
Same here, I'll make it work either way. Good luck with your build.

Same here, I'll make it work either way. Good luck with your build.

I have never attempted it , but I would sure flatten the pinch weld at the firewall floor seam to start with, right off the bat --------

I have never attempted it , but I would sure flatten the pinch weld at the firewall floor seam to start with, right off the bat --------

Necessary with the torqueflite, not with the 10.5 bellhousing. Least that's what I dun been told. lol

Necessary with the torqueflite, not with the 10.5 bellhousing. Least that's what I dun been told. lol

Heck , I had to flatten it in my 68 fastback to keep from rubbing . I did weld it solid all the way across too.

That would be me. I did it with HP manifolds and I did it with Pro-parts headers. Dont waste your time with headers, HP Manis will be plenty fast unless you plant to run it with J-bars and without inner fenderwells. There is just no room for headers.

It appears from all the measurements I have taken and pictures that @pishta so graciously sent that the factory C body HP manifolds will work.

That would be me. I did it with HP manifolds and I did it with Pro-parts headers. Dont waste your time with headers, HP Manis will be plenty fast unless you plant to run it with J-bars and without inner fenderwells. There is just no room for headers.

Hey @pishta - Can you post up the photos that RustyRatRod was talking about? I'm working on a big block 66 myself.

when i did mine ya have to make custom mounts.. today mounts are made to do it.. bolt in deal man.. personally i think it was easier to work on with a 440 then with the 360. biggest thing is exhaust. custom headers get expensive.

car drove great on the street after i put 383 bars up front.

64valiant016.jpg

64valiant023.jpg

64valiant024.jpg

64valiant025.jpg

64valiant029.jpg

Will post pics when I get home maybe Rob can re post em, he's on here 24/7! :p

It'll get flattened like hell if I need to. lol
I’ll confirm once I drop in the motor here in the next
when i did mine ya have to make custom mounts.. today mounts are made to do it.. bolt in deal man.. personally i think it was easier to work on with a 440 then with the 360. biggest thing is exhaust. custom headers get expensive.

View attachment 1715580743

View attachment 1715580744

View attachment 1715580745

View attachment 1715580746

View attachment 1715580747
sweet ride abodyjoe. Sure is a snug fit.

View attachment 1715580743

View attachment 1715580744

View attachment 1715580745

View attachment 1715580746

View attachment 1715580747

If it was so great, why'd you get rid of it? Dummy. lol

If it was so great, why'd you get rid of it? Dummy. lol
It was rusty and you could get a 64 valiant dirt cheap back then so it wasn't worth putting quarters on that one. Plus all the stuff went into a freshly painted 72 demon. :). Ended up selling the demon a few years later.

It was rusty and you could get a 64 valiant dirt cheap back then so it wasn't worth putting quarters on that one. Plus all the stuff went into a freshly painted 72 demon. :). Ended up selling the demon a few years later.

You somehow like rusty cars. lol

I once bought a '66 Barracuda parts car with a 440/727 in it, that ran, and supposedly drove, but, it was too scary a car for me to drive! It still had the manual 9" drum brakes, rotten 13" tires, and a 7 1/4 rear! The engine had a motor plate on it to mount it to the car, but, it wasn't even bolted down! Just sat on the frame rail. Crazy what some people will do.

-
Back