66 Dart GT HT Whatsitgonnabe?

-
I removed the strut rod bushings and UCA stoppers. I think we can agree that it was time to replace the strut rod bushings ... Some joker even tried to repair one of them with a piece of hydraulic hose :banghead:

Didn't have time to finish pressing the bushings out of the UCA:s. Had to go pick Sofia up at Kindergarten. Will perhaps do a little more tonight.

Poor mans press. :D

Attachments

• 2015-10-14 15.33.47.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 165
  • 2015-10-14 15.57.21.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 179
  • 2015-10-14 15.54.49.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 168
Oh, and the first package from Don actually cleared customs at 1:47 pm today. First scan was when it arrived at customs.

But now it's officially in the country and should arrive any day! :D:D:D

Turns out the pulley wasn't right after all. :banghead:

It's too deep, doesn't align with the water pump and alternator. And I think the diameter is too small. The one Ulf sent is 145 mm OD and the groove center is roughly 50 mm from the base.

I seem to remember that the pulley I need should be roughly 35 mm from the base to groove center.

The other one I have is too large, if I align the grooves, the pulleys will touch. Bollocks. Back to square one ...

Picture #2 easiest fix is to make a sheetmetal shim spacer to but behind water pump pulley to move it out a bit. Nevermind, i reread your post. They hit each other. I planned on keeping this pulley.

Oh, I wasn't asking to buy yours, Matt. I just need to know what to look for.

edit: And I suppose the diameter is actually part of the equation to get the correct rpm on the water pump and alternator. But that might not be crucial.

Well that's one bushingless UCA along with the little things I needed to get them out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 163
Ooh! And I almost forgot! Djakken stopped by just when I was away picking up Sofia. He dropped of everything I need to fix my brakes! A flange tool, a brake line bender and a little honing tool. Big thanks, Per!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 165
Oh, I wasn't asking to buy yours, Matt. I just need to know what to look for.

edit: And I suppose the diameter is actually part of the equation to get the correct rpm on the water pump and alternator. But that might not be crucial.

Actually thats not crucial, the alignment is the big thing. Both my water pump single pulley, and double crank pulley for my 67 are a matched set off a 79 dodge pickup with a 360.

Hi Anders,

What i need from you is the 7 digit part number stamped into your water pump pulley. If i am correct its part number should start with 29 If its the same part number as mine. If its the same number as mine then i know which crank pulley you will need. Also Is your car power steering or manual steering? This way i know to look for a single or double groove pulley. If i cannot find one for you, i can at least get you the part number of the crank pulley that goes with the water pump pulley.

Ine last question. How well does the water pump pulley line up with your alternator pulley?

Matt

The alternator and WP pulleys line up perfectly as far as I can see.

I'm on my way down to the basement to look for numbers on the WP.

Don thinks he might have one, too.

Ok, so here is my water pump.

The WP pulley has no identifying features what so ever. In the last pic you can see how deep it is, though, a little shy of 67 mm, 2.64" or close to 2 5/8".

Attachments

• 2015-10-14 21.30.10.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 159
  • 2015-10-14 21.22.46.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 2015-10-14 21.20.49.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 160
  • 2015-10-14 21.20.57.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 157
  • 2015-10-14 21.18.49.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 2015-10-14 21.19.08.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 161
  • 2015-10-14 21.26.06.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 152
So the casting number is 30787, there is a W in a rhomboid shape accompanied by what looks like a 7.

On the snout of the casing, the numbers 477 are stamped in and on the shaft end surface, the numbers 611 are stamped in.

It sure looks like an old water pump to me but I don't know much, do I.

I will check the depth on my water pump pulley. Whats the diameter of yours?

Is your car manual steering?

Manual steering and the diameter is 165 mm, 6.5". It lines up perfectly with the alternator that is using the stock mounting bracket as Don explained (to us - I had no idea).

Btw, Matt. Can you guess what that throttle stud you found for me in the scrap yard costs at a Swedish Web shop for US car parts?

My 78/79 non a/c water pump pulley side view. Don would prob know better than i would with the early V8 stuff. Don is it possible Anders water pump pulley is from a big block car and this is why he is having problems getting a crank pulley to fit? Not sure if SBM, and BBM were the same pulleys in this time frame. Also not sure if aluminum water pumps have a longer snout than the older iron pumps.

Matt

Attachments

• 20150801_220302.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 146
Btw, Matt. Can you guess what that throttle stud you found for me in the scrap yard costs at a Swedish Web shop for US car parts?

I dunno what it costs. I do know when i wrench stuff off i take all the hardware with me. The junkyard guy charges me for the parts not the hardware. He doesnt care about that piddley crap. So essentially the stud cost me nothing.

I am guessing "in my best austin powers impression "

1 million dollars lol

Matt

Manual steering and the diameter is 165 mm, 6.5". It lines up perfectly with the alternator that is using the stock mounting bracket as Don explained (to us - I had no idea).

Ok, i will check mine even tho it looks a bit different for these basic dimensions. If its the same then i will give you the pn for the 2 groove crank pulley i have.

My water pump pulley is 6&7/8" or 172mm diameter, and 2&7/8 or 74mm. If my water pump pulley is larger in diameter than yours, then my crank pulley should be smaller diameter making it able to fit diameter wise.

The diameter of my cut down V groove crankshaft pulley is 6.50 inches or 165mm. The depth from where it mates at the balancer on the engine to the center of the V groove is 2.0 inches or 51mm.

If the V groove ends up in the right place, along with the right diameter then a double row crank pulley with PN # 3614378 should work. You can just cut off the outer pulley groove for the power steering, or leave it in place in case you decide to add power steering later.

Anders i gotta laugh though. None of my old skool rulers or machinest scales as i call them have metric on them. I went and bought a small inexpensive 6 inch machinest scale with metric on one side today to measure the pulleys figuring metric would be easier for you to read. Its all good. I just thought i actually had one, but didnt. Now i got one LOL.

Matt

Since you've been working on the 340's I just assumed metric was no issue for you. :)

It seems our water pump pulleys are (roughly) the same depth. The difference is probably due to difference in groove width, don't you think?

Oh, and they want SIXTY BUCKS for the throttle stud. That is just not ok. I thought the $24 Jeg's are asking was way too much.

Anders,
I hope to see you this weekend, I’m planning to be at home the whole day Saturday and Sunday.
Have a bunch of spare parts that I don't have any use for. Maybe you have use for one or two. The forecast says it will be nice weather, so maybe we can take a ride in my Dart. Just so you get the feeling of a Mopar A-body on the road.

That sounds wonderful!

We're having relatives over for lunch on Saturday to celebrate our 4-year old so perhaps Sunday works best for me. How about you?

YES! My package arrived! I will be picking it up right after lunch. It'll be an additional $70 in customs and taxes, though. But who cares?! HAPPY!

Let's just hope they didn't bang it up ...

Since you've been working on the 340's I just assumed metric was no issue for you. :)

It seems our water pump pulleys are (roughly) the same depth. The difference is probably due to difference in groove width, don't you think?

Oh, and they want SIXTY BUCKS for the throttle stud. That is just not ok. I thought the $24 Jeg's are asking was way too much.

Hi Anders,

Wow $60 like i said "1 million dollars" guess i was close. As far as the 340s And Embraers go almost everything is SAE fractional hardware. Either MS, or NAS type. When we send off for repairs to the manufacturers its in fractional converted to decimal. The SAAB 340 uses General Electric CT7-9B turboshaft engines, with hamilton standard gear boxes, and propellers. Embraer 145 RJ uses Rolls Royce Allison AE3007A high bypass turbo fan engines. All SAE, MS, and NAS hardware. Either way metric isnt an issue i know how to read metric rulers and such, i just didnt personally have one until yesterday. I do have metric tools at home as newer cars even US domestics are all metric now.

Not sure on the pulleys myself. I just pulled the measurements off mine. It is what it is. Since i dont mess with the early stuff mopar engine wise. Lol thats a funny all my engines are mid 70s thats old too. Maybe Don would have more insight, and maybe a correct crank pulley to go with your water pump pulley.

Hopefully you can pick up and open your package today and you can get further along on your project. $70 for taxes on car parts. Holy $hit

Matt

-
Back