66 Dart GT HT Whatsitgonnabe?

-
I'm afraid not. We have dual birthday parties this weekend, the relatives today and 4-year olds tomorrow. Spent most of yesterday preparing for that.

Also made the first batch of genuine Swedish autumn food, boiled soused (?) hand of pork with "root mash".

Turnips are in season now and root mash (rotmos) is like mashed potatoes only it consists mainly of turnips with some potatoes and carrots with a little vegetable stock and a tablespoon of butter. It is really tasty and the kids love it. The hand of pork is "rimmad", injected with brine, don't know what that's called in english. You buy it that way and then boil it with a couple of quartered onions, some bay leaf and a few pepper corns, white pepper and allspice.

Anyway, it mostly involves boiling but the rotmos takes a little while to prepare with all the peeling, chopping and then mashing. I always make a pretty large batch. The kids really stuff it in and it's nice to have enough for two meals when you put the effort in.

So that kept me busy yesterday.

I'm planning on going out to visit Per (Djakken) tomorrow if Sofia's birthday party doesn't drain me. six 4-yo:s can do that ...

I'm afraid not. We have dual birthday parties this weekend, the relatives today and 4-year olds tomorrow. Spent most of yesterday preparing for that.

Also made the first batch of genuine Swedish autumn food, boiled soused (?) hand of pork with "root mash".

Turnips are in season now and root mash (rotmos) is like mashed potatoes only it consists mainly of turnips with some potatoes and carrots with a little vegetable stock and a tablespoon of butter. It is really tasty and the kids love it. The hand of pork is "rimmad", injected with brine, don't know what that's called in english. You buy it that way and then boil it with a couple of quartered onions, some bay leaf and a few pepper corns, white pepper and allspice.

Anyway, it mostly involves boiling but the rotmos takes a little while to prepare with all the peeling, chopping and then mashing. I always make a pretty large batch. The kids really stuff it in and it's nice to have enough for two meals when you put the effort in.

So that kept me busy yesterday.

I'm planning on going out to visit Per (Djakken) tomorrow if Sofia's birthday party doesn't drain me. six 4-yo:s can do that ...

Mmmmm, yummy. Now you´ve got me hungry, O:)

Sounds tasty. I have to try some sometime. We do a lot of sweet BBQ pulled pork. I love it on butter toasted buns with a bit of bbq sauce.

My wife makes an awesone chicken tortilla soup. I got to get you the recipe. Exellent food for cold rainy or snowy days.

So do folks in Sweden ever eat Swedish meatballs? - Or is that an American dish?

We sure eat meatballs. All the time. They're often a lot smaller than the ones you get in the States, though, less than an inch across. Most would say the smaller the gooder. :)

The "proper" way to serve them is with boiled or mashed potatoes, lingonberries and gravy. Some like sliced pickled cucumbers to, also.

The lingonberries can be either jam made the normal way (boiled with sugar) or "stirred raw" which means just what it says; you mix sugar and fresh lingonberries and atir until the sugar is dissolved. That is my favorite. It is less sweet and goes better with food.

Hey Swedefish,

I like the pic of your interior. The black bucket seat 4 speed setup without a console. Thats what i am going to do with my 67 notchback. Mine was a bench seat 3 speed column shift. Very nice car by the way.

Hey Swedefish,

I like the pic of your interior. The black bucket seat 4 speed setup without a console. Thats what i am going to do with my 67 notchback. Mine was a bench seat 3 speed column shift. Very nice car by the way.
Thanks for the kind words, mate. It´s a blast to drive, too bad I have to move 2 or 3 cars out of the way before I can take it for a spin.

I just came in after mowing the lawn. Well, half of it. My wife started and I finished. It's a truly beautiful day. Clear blue sky with that high, fresh autumn air, a fantastic display of colors in the trees and not too cold. Hopefully last time we mow for the season. Don't really think so to be honest.

After one of the calmest birthday parties we've ever had, I took a little ride out to Djakken. He showed me both his great looking cars and we went for a ride in his '63 Dart. That was actually the first time I ever rode in one of these cars. I really liked the experience and I think the little Dart handles surprisingly well! Love the sound, too.

Being a generous guy, Per gave me a coil of brake line he had. Thank you again, Per!

Great visit and it's stimulating to have a fellow FABO member and mopar enthusiast so close!

Last night I tried pushing in the brake pistons in one of the calipers. Did pretty good. Managed to shear three of four seals!

I think I have come up with a little secret trick, though. I'll let you know if it works out.

Anyway, does anyone have a few surplus Kelsey-Hayes piston seals?

Attachments

• 2015-10-17 17.16.55.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 166
Last night I tried pushing in the brake pistons in one of the calipers. Did pretty good. Managed to shear three of four seals!

I think I have come up with a little secret trick, though. I'll let you know if it works out.

Anyway, does anyone have a few surplus Kelsey-Hayes piston seals?

I might have an extra seal kit. I will take a look after moving part of a big pile of wood to the shelter I built to season it.

Hi anders,

When i installed my caliper seals i coated them quite liberally with DOT 5 brake fluid, and coated the pistons then carefully slid the pistons in place, and tapped in the dust seals. I didnt have a problem. Maybe your piston o rings are a bit old and dry maybe the kit sat on the shelf a couple years? Mine was a new manufactured kit, so everything was pretty pliable. The plus side was i only had to reload 2 pistons. My calipers are late model single piston ones.

Matt

Ulf and Don, I appreciate your offers and if I can't find the old ones, I might take you up on it, Ulf. If you can find one. I threw the old seals in my waste bin and I haven't emptied it yet som they should be in there somewhere. If I find them and they're OK, I'll use them for now.

I will be returning the pulley and the temp gauge when I send you the cam shaft by the way, Ulf, since they didn't work for me. :thumblef:

Yesterday afternoon I helped our friend/my wife's colleague setting up their booth at a trade show in Gothenburg. Got treated to a great meal and great drinks as compensation. A little slow today ...

Anyway, in the corner of the mess hall, just a couple of booths down from "ours", this was standing for some reason.

They really are pretty awesome. The brakes on this thing ...

Attachments

• 2015-10-19 19.03.33.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 171
  • 2015-10-19 19.03.45.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 163
  • 2015-10-19 19.03.57.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 160
Today I think I'll start cleaning up that 600 cfm Holley 1850S I bought from Bad Sport. I bought it mostly for fun but I think maybe it will be a leaner option for my car than the 750 cfm Carter I have (that doesn't have any choke mechanism as far as I can tell).

It really is pretty dirty but we'll see what a little white spirit can do. It'll be fun to install the rebuild kit, too. Never done that on a carb this size. Biggest was a Bing 19 mm I had for my moped back when. :D

Oh, and my second package from Don, the one with my front end bushing kit and Ulf's camshaft, is on its way across the atlantic. Should be here by the end of the week if all goes smoothly. :thumblef:

I see it has left Chicago:cheers:

EDIT: and departed Copenhagen as well! Since it is one heavy SOB (14 kilos), wonder if your mailman will leave it at the Post Office for you to come and pick it up?!

70 pounds! Wow.

The Swedish postal system is a sad story. In the 90:ies, they were subjected to competition and lost a whole lot of their market in delivering invoices and other letters from companies. At the same time, people stopped writing letters to each other altogether.

In order to stay profitable (which is a questionable goal for a fully public service company), they increased the postage a lot, like doubled it in a few years, and shut down all the post offices over a decade or so.

In stead, we now have our post offices integrated in convenience stores and grocery stores. This can be considered a good thing because there are a lot more convenience stores with post office capabilities than there ever were post offices and they have much better business hours. They do not, however, cater to the elderly, those who used to go to the post office to pay their bills and cash their pension.

The irony of this is that as the Internet mail order has exploded, delivering packages has become a MUCH larger business that it was 20 years ago and now the Postal Service is just one of many in this market. And they are clearly not able to take advantage of their 300+ year experience advantage. They are not even the cheapest.

When it comes to delivering mail, the Swedish Postal Service still do that, but only letters and packages that fit in your mailbox. And where they used to deliver letters around 10-11 AM, now you get them 2-3 PM. If you're living in an urban community...

So yes, I will need to pick it up the same way I picked up the other package and all other packages I ever receive. No problem, though. I'm free all day and usually I will get some groceries when I'm already at the store.

-
Back