66 Dart GT HT Whatsitgonnabe?

-
Actually, that wasn't all of them. Here are all of them ...

Attachments

• 2015-10-23 15.40.52.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 222
... and here is the end result (and before shot).

Rather pleased with myself. :glasses7:

Attachments

• 2015-10-23 17.31.21.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 194
  • 2015-10-23 17.31.45.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 189
  • 2015-10-20 11.03.45.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 205
Alright, checking out. Going to the summer house for the weekend. Will be me and my big daughter. We love it there.

Good job on the carb. Looking forward to when we get the package from Don. Have a great weekend Anders!

The 66 Darts with V8:s all had red engines. But they were all 273 or 318.

The LA 318 didn't come out until the 1967 MY in the US.

Over the years, I've owned a pair of '66 Darts: a 273-2v, 3-speed, 270 HT; and a 273-4v, auto, GT HT. Your project reminds me of the GT. The only things I didn't take off of that car were the backlight and the windshield. It turned out well.

Attachments

• 66 Dart GT tiny.JPG
    4.4 KB · Views: 185
Thanks, friends! If you look close enough it has some hard oxides that aren't buffing out but joey made sure we can't see minor stuff like that. :thumblef:

I love cleaning things up. This is a 600 cfm carb and I got it cheap here at FABO. I bought it because I thought maybe my Carter 750 cfm is a little too large. It was a spur of the moment thing. Worst thing that could happen is that it sits on a shelf. Best thing, I sell it and make a buck or two. What is an old vacuum secondary Holley 600 worth rebuilt?

Carb looks great, great progress. How close to first start up?

Once I get the package from Don which should only be a few days at the most, I will have the water pump cover bolt I'm missing. It's the one that goes into a water jacket so I really need it. Then all I need is a crank pulley and I found one in Skåne (Sweden) the other day that should be in the mail now. It's probably a little too long but it's a billet aluminum pulley so I can turn it to any length I want.

I don't have a lathe myself but I think I can get that sorted pretty soon, there's this shop in Alingsås where the owner is a car guy who probably wouldn't mind helping me. He offered to make me stainless brake piston for $12 each.

So once I get this stuff out of the way, I just need to arrange a jug of gasoline and fire her up.

My guess is next weekend.

The LA 318 didn't come out until the 1967 MY in the US.

Hey, welcome to my thread, 2 Darts!

I have no reason to question what you're saying here, I think what I was trying to say was that there has never been an orange engine in a '66 Dart and the LA360 has only ever been blue.

I've been going over color schemes a whole lot in my head and I've been planning on painting the engine and the brake calipers Mopar Blue. The problem is that I'm pretty certain now that I will be painting the car either Petty blue or Volvo Rebel blue (Polestar blue). They're pretty similar.

Either way, a blue engine bay with a different hue of blue engine is not going to look good.

I'm not sure what to do here. I've been thinking yellow engine which would make the car look like the Swedish flag but that feels a little corny.

Everyone is welcome to make suggestions and post pictures for inspiration.

Everyone is welcome to make suggestions and post pictures for inspiration.

Here's my 2€ suggestion as I'm old school: the engine compartment should match the body color and since you have a 66, red is the only color offered for any engine in an A Body

I hear ya, Don.

Well, it's really late here so I'm checking out. I'm in no hurry to decide this so any input will be thoroughly considered.

Hi Anders,

My opinion, I'd go with red on the engine, simply because its the correct color for a mopar small block V8 in 66. The average joe looking at cars at a local car show is not gonna have a clue its a 360 anyway. I would dress it out to appear like its a 273. Plus a bright red engine , with a nice blue body color in the engine compartment will have a nice contrast and will make the engine really stand out when the hood is open saying i'm a V8 here i am look at me, instead of blending in.

Just my 2 cents worth
Matt

Mornin' Matt!

I think you're right. Orange would probably pop even more but I don't feel good about using the color that was only ever used for hemi and big block (and possibly some hi-po small blocks, can't remember). Like you said, red is what would've been in there and in fact the original 273 was red.

This is what I'm leaning towards right now then: Petty blue or Polestar blue with a Mopar red engine.

I won't be painting the whole thing like they did in the plant but rather keep the different parts separated color wise. Heads, valve covers, maybe water pump, pulleys and intake of course. I think that looks better. Probably go for a cast iron grey on the heads and water pump, maybe black oil pan and valve covers and matte black pulleys. Brackets either bare metal or perhaps black.

I agree, i dont like the way the factory assembles everything, then goes nuts with the spray bomb overspraying everything. I like a sharp contrast between the pulleys, and brackets, and the exhaust manifolds as well. Must be my OCD kicking in.

I like the petty blue. Originally concidered it, along with B3 blue, and 1967 seafoam turquoise green. The color chip in the books for plymouth 1974 lists it as basin street blue. I am building a scale model of a Richard Petty kit kar 71 dodge dart short track stock car. The kit i am building is made by AMT/ round 2. They however recommend ford "grabber blue" for the paint. How i ended up liking 1967 daffodil yellow out of looking at all those blues and turquoise i will never know.

My car was originally going to follow the chrysler/petty kit kar theme if that had been a project that chrysler started in 1967 instead of 1971. The original idea for my cuda is that it was supposed to be a hard edged short track race car that was street legal. Petty blue was to be part of that plan. Eventually it evolved into making it look restored, but with short track race car trickery hidden behind a stock body and full interior.

I'm not sure of the shade of volvo blue your looking at, however a local reputable auto body supply should have color chip books for american and domestic swedish cars.

I am sure you know to wear your PPE when spraying paints and primers, however if your local autobody supply sells Sikkens products their paints are especially toxic. Bad enough that in the late 1980s the U.S. EPA grandfathered in the shops that currently used sikkens products, along with requiring special precautions when using them, and i believe not allowing new shops to yse their products. I must say though, Sikkens paints and primers are great. Their paint is tough, very tough. Bird poop doesnt even stick to it.

Here's my 2€ suggestion as I'm old school: the engine compartment should match the body color and since you have a 66, red is the only color offered for any engine in an A Body
I would paint it red too.

I like bright colors on a motor because I think it makes it easier to see stuff when you're working on it. The red seems like a good choice but I personally might look for the brightest shade of red engine enamel I could find regardless of whether or not it was a Chrysler color. - But I rarely try to keep my cars looking factory original.

As far as painting the heads and water pump a different color than the block... - I like the details to stand out such as pulleys, alternator, belts, power steering pump, etc.. but I usually like the block, water pump, & heads to appear as if they were a single unit. I think that too many different colors may distract the eye from the details that I like to see standing out. JMO

I think what I was trying to say was that there has never been an orange engine in a '66 Dart and the LA360 has only ever been blue.
I agree.

I've been going over color schemes a whole lot in my head and I've been planning on painting the engine and the brake calipers Mopar Blue. The problem is that I'm pretty certain now that I will be painting the car either Petty blue or Volvo Rebel blue (Polestar blue). They're pretty similar.

Either way, a blue engine bay with a different hue of blue engine is not going to look good.
I agree here as well. Funny you should be considering a red engine in a "Petty" blue car. I went around on this one, too. I have a 72 Demon that is kind of an "improved" tribute to a car I had in 1972. The engine in the current car is from a '68 Coronet, which I rebuilt and painted red.

Rather than use the TB3 "Basin Street Blue" as my original had been, I went with the Ford J code "Grabber Blue". I did not make this change lightly. I carried gas caps painted with TB3 and J into Petty's museum to compare with the race cars. J was closer.

Attached are some photos of my Demon with a red motor. Lighting really makes the J code paint "flop".

Attachments

• uh2.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 167
  • DSCN2217cs.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 165
Thanks for all the input, guys! :prayer:

Regarding safety, Matt, I've only ever used Standox paint and they're really hazardous too but I've got a good mask that I can get gas filters for so I'll be safe, I think. I'll also try to paint when the house is empty because my garage is in the basement an I think the odors will penetrate through the ceiling up to our living room. If my kids are to be exposed to paint thinner vapors, I want it to be their own choice.

You could be right about too many different colors, John (it is John, isn't it, 1967'Cuda?). As long as I don't have aluminum heads, they would probably look better as a unit with the block. I will keep the INDY heads that are in my dreams bare, though. :D

I'm surprised to see your (very nice) '72 so light, 2 Darts. My feeling is that the Petty blue is a little more sky blue, but just a tad. I was also under the impression that basin street blue WAS petty blue. I think the polestar blue is more blue than petty in any case and since it is a color off a Volvo, there should be absolutely no problem getting that hue right.

Krazukuda posted a pic of a petty blue dart wig a white roof recently. That got me thinking. I thought it looked great. I'm a little scared of the smurf likeness, though...

Regarding safety, Matt, I've only ever used Standox paint and they're really hazardous too but I've got a good mask that I can get gas filters for so I'll be safe, I think. I'll also try to paint when the house is empty because my garage is in the basement an I think the odors will penetrate through the ceiling up to our living room. If my kids are to be exposed to paint thinner vapors, I want it to be their own choice.
QUOTE]
Install a fan out into the open air and put a filter between the garage and the other area in the basement. This way you won´t get any fumes up in the house.

QUOTE]
Install a fan out into the open air and put a filter between the garage and the other area in the basement. This way you won´t get any fumes up in the house.

X2 a box fan goes along way to get rid of fumes, you can also cover the fan with a furnace filter to catch any heavy particles so you don't blow the heavy particles all over everything on the outside.

Yeah, I've been planning on using a fan of some kind.

The perfect solution would be to have a 'clean room' setup, a slight over pressure with a good filter on the intake to keep the dust out. Not going to happen, though, since that would involve sealing the whole room up and cleaning it out to surgical level.

I'm going to have to live with a little cob web in the corners and concrete dust in the paint ...

Here's a nice example of Volvo's Rebel Blue, btw.

510x350-volvo-concept.jpg

You can wet the floor down prior to painting to keep the dust down, if you have a basement window in your garage, remove the window, put an intake filter on it, and use a box fan as a puller fan to draw air thru the garage and out through the main garage door area.

On the whole 360 color thing. I am planning on putting a 1978 360 in my 67 barracuda. Std V8 mill was a 273. I'm painting mine 1967 commando bright red. It just looks correct.

Btw the volvo rebel blue is very nice. Looks more like a shade of mopar basin street blue.

-
Back