66 Dart GT HT Whatsitgonnabe?

-
Yes, so far I am. I'm on the hunt for 340 manifolds that don't interfere with the steering box. Or if I decide to buy a TIG and weld my own headers. :)

edit: Or magnum manifolds.

All the 340/360 a body manifolds interfere a little with the steering shaft in a early a body, but a little grinding and they fit fine. I ran a 72 340 manifold on my 65 Barracuda for 10 years, no problem. It had a 318 with 73 J casting heads. I had to grind a little on the manifold and put a torque strap on the drivers side to keep it twisting over and rubbing the manifold on the steering shaft box collar. I had manual steering. Also, if I remember right the 273 heads are shaped a little different under the exhaust port. When I get home, I will photograph some 273 heads/ early a 273 manifold and with a 340 manifold. And the same with a 360 heads.

Yes, so far I am. I'm on the hunt for 340 manifolds that don't interfere with the steering box. Or if I decide to buy a TIG and weld my own headers. :)

If you have manual steering (don't remember if you have power or manual), I have a set of 318 Magnum manifolds that I won't be using. I don't think they fit with PS. If you're interested I can send you some pics.

You're all so kind!

I read somewhere on here the other day that at least some 273 heads don't have the extra ear for the AIR (whatever that is) hole. That's probably what I had to grind off when I shaved a couple of mm's off the manifold mating surface.

And thanks for the offer Don, but, you know, the shipping ...

I'd really like to try and make my own headers but I'm not sure I'll ever get there. Buying headers over here is super expensive and the used ones that pop up now and then never fit an early A.

Well, it turns out the guy who was interested in my rear '66 bumper offered to trade me a FRONT '66 bumper for the front '65 I don't have any use for. So I've packed both of them in my car, ready for my trip to Umeå in the morning.

So stoked!

You're all so kind!

And thanks for the offer Don, but, you know, the shipping ...

They look like they might fit in a large flat rate box. I will take a look tonight. If so I'll give you a great deal on them!

A big pleasure to meet you Anders. Drive carefully out there!

The pleasure is all mine! I'm amazed by all your wonderful cars and the quality of your work. I will definitely be back to harass you again!

Here he is, the master of 65:s (next to a '67)!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 222
Today I left Umeå to visit an old car parts/scrap yard in Sundsvall, some 200 miles south of Umeå. When I got close i phoned the place and it turns out both the guys who work there were at home in bed with the flu! Bummer!

So I decided to keep driving south to meet up with this guy I was going to trade bumpers with. Nice fellow. I scored a perfectly straight '66 front bumper to replace the less than perfect '65 I had. AND I got a speedo gear for my trans!

Oh, and I almost forgot, Ulf had the little cover I needed for my trans dust cover and two front head light rings! Mine are rusted out completely.

A great road trip all in all! Right now I'm in a hotel room in Borlänge and tomorrow I'll hook up with an old friend and spend the night at his place in Karlskoga.

Well I made it home with all my loot. Grand total: 2,216 km or 1,377 miles.

Turns out the yoke you had was the same as the one I had, Ulf.

So eager to get started on my car again now! Have been focusing on our living room the last few weeks. The painter and carpenter both come tomorrow so I have some preparation to get done.

I fell in love with Ulf's 65 wagon when I visited him. It is just so cute! The picture doesn't show how little it is. This is a two-owner car.

And in the picture below we see the ONLY known '65 Dart Charger Convertible with factory air! And there are a mere FIVE of these known to still exist.

Attachments

• 2016-02-23 19.42.31.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 173
  • 2016-02-23 19.54.01.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 204
Here are pictures.

- The new headlight retaining rings. Fewer holes in the new ones. Not identical, though. The old ones are 17 mm wide, the new ones only 14. Also, the "ears" are a little different. Were these different btw '65 and '66?
- The same casting number on the yokes. Bummer. I'll keep it here for now, Ulf.
- Dust Cover inspection hatch. Or whatever it is ...
- Speedo pinion! With 34-tooth gear. Just right!

Attachments

• 2016-02-28 20.19.27.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 166
  • 2016-02-28 20.19.19.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 178
  • 2016-02-28 20.15.24.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 190
  • 2016-02-28 20.14.44.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 181
  • 2016-02-28 20.14.07.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 181
  • 2016-02-28 20.13.54.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 169
  • 2016-02-28 20.12.54.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 182
Yesterday I received a Mopar Performance air cleaner I found on Facebook here in Sweden.

It needs a little work to get to perfect condition but I'm pleased.

I also found a set of MP valve covers to go with it in the classifieds here on FABO. :thumblef: Should be on its way to Don in Virginia any day.

Don also has a yoke that should fit as well as a speedo gear clamp. Hopefully I'll have that stuff - along with some little things I will probably order from Rock Auto this weekend - sent over here in a couple of weeks or so. Maybe in time for a little warmer weather.

No working on the car this weekend, I'm afraid. Going out to the summer house with the kids while my wife is at home working evenings at the hospital.

Attachments

• 2016-03-03 17.00.31.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 179
  • 2016-03-03 17.00.48.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 167
You mean the transmission dipstick tube? I'll throw one in the box!

Wo-hoo! The slip yoke Don is sending me is EXACTLY what I need, a 727 yoke for a 7260 U-joint!

So now I've placed an order with Rock Auto for some speedo pinion seals, some brake caliper seal kits and a couple of front wheel bearing dust caps.

I sheared all but one of the seals I tried to mount last time I tried so I decided to leave that for the time being.

I ordered bearing dust caps six months ago, too, but they turned out to be too small (1-9/16" dia.). The ones that are the correct diameter (1-13/16" dia.) are for a 1975 Dart.

What does that mean?

-
Back