66 Dart GT HT Whatsitgonnabe?

-
Well, just as I suspected the manifold is interfereing with the block. I don't see any problems grinding some off that part, though. Do you?

edit: That's not the block, it's the head, stupid. :banghead:

Attachments

• 2015-12-23 10.32.23.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 233
  • 2015-12-23 10.33.23.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 248
  • 2015-12-23 10.43.41.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 242
Looks like there's been quite a bit of material removed from that manifold? Drawing it in, how's the starter clearance looking? No exhaust or y pipe yet?

Your really having a time with that thing

Yeah, I took off roughly 1/10 of an inch in total. A lot more than I needed to but I blame my equipment. Not the lack of skill. Of course. :D

No problem with the starter.

I'm going to do something completely different eventually but for now I need something that works and doesn't leak so I can run the car in my basement garage without poisoning myself or my family.:rolleyes::drunken::angel2:

Yeag on the equipment. I would call the maker and *****!!!! LOL

I did. Got nothing sensible out of them.

I measured the disc diameter before and after though, and it actually only wore down 0.4 mm in total. That would give an error of 0.2 mm or less than 10 mil. Good grinding disc.

This time I got it right! All the ports are snug and tight. No exhaust sound other than that from the rear.

Got the engine up to working temperature and as I turned her off a couple of big bubbles burped up and scared me half to death. I poked a thermometer in the radiator and it showed 80*C (175*F) and rose up to 90*C (195*F) after a little while. It can't have been boiling, could it?

I've got roughly 50% antifreeze.

Walked outside to listen to what the neighbors have to put up with. Here's a little video.
[ame="https://youtu.be/HiVBaU_sF8k"]https://youtu.be/HiVBaU_sF8k[/ame]

Nope not boiling, just letting an air pocket that was stuck in the engine block go. I assume the engine was bone dry when you assembled the front of it and added antifreeze. Nothing to worry about.

185° - 195° F is good not too hot.

Hello everyone!

Man, it's sure been a while. Nothing much has happened to my car, I'm afraid. It's cold in my garage and I've been kind of stuck without a drive shaft.

Anyway, spring isn't far away and it's time to get started again!

Hey swedefish, maybe you know something I've been worrying about for a while.

With a 300 hp 360 in my Dart that was originally a 2bbl 273, would it pass inspection (besiktning) if the guy is thorough enough to check the casting on the block?

I'm thinking about getting a 318 (or possibly a 273 but they're nowhere near as common) for inspection purposes only.

I was this close to getting a set of X heads för $250 but they turned out to be newer 340 heads, casting number 3671587 1973 340 heads with 1.88/1.60 valves.

Are they any good? Better than my 1975-76 360 heads?

Hey swedefish, maybe you know something I've been worrying about for a while.

With a 300 hp 360 in my Dart that was originally a 2bbl 273, would it pass inspection (besiktning) if the guy is thorough enough to check the casting on the block?

I'm thinking about getting a 318 (or possibly a 273 but they're nowhere near as common) for inspection purposes only.

I would be supriced if they would check the casting numbers. I think you're fine, a guy I know from my neighbourhood had a -67 Cuda that was originally equipped with a 273 mounted a 360/360 hp crate engine in his car and had no problem with the inspection.

I would be supriced if they would check the casting numbers. I think you're fine, a guy I know from my neighbourhood had a -67 Cuda that was originally equipped with a 273 mounted a 360/360 hp crate engine in his car and had no problem with the inspection.

Casting numbers - no way! If the inspector had a list of casting numbers for every motor and manufacturer, I would be totally surprised and absolutely amazed!

I think you will be fine with your engine Anders. No way they would check casting numbers. I had a 340 with tunnelram and dual Holley 600s. No problem at all. - You beefed up your engine he said. Yepp, a little bit!

Alright, thanks, guys. The only reason I thought of the casting number is that it says 360 in plain text on these engines. But I'm sure you're right. I'll stop worrying then. :)

Ulf, I saw you have a couple of ads out on Blocket. I'm actually planning on going on a little road trip next week if we can get a little help taking care of the kids on Tuesday. I'm thinking maybe I could drop by and see your project(s)?

I'm thinking I will pass Sundsvall and see if they have any sheet metal for me at that place there. Maybe I'll go all the way up to my relatives in Arjeplog but I'm not sure I'll make it that far. it is 1200 km after all. Without the detours ...

Going on a road trip tomorrow. 1000 km north to visit Ulf! Really looking forward to it!

I'll be stopping in Sundsvall on my way back to check out a passenger side front fender they maight have there. And possibly picking up a set of J heads in Mora.

I was planning on dropping off my spare rear bumper on the way, too, but when I went down into the basement to take pictures just now it turns out I have an extra FRONT bumper.

And the two I have are different ... :banghead:

Can anyone tell me what year the two front bumpers in the picture are?

The bent one was on the car when the previous owner disassembled it.

Attachments

• 2016-02-22 18.35.33.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 124
  • 2016-02-22 18.37.01.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 2016-02-22 18.27.51.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 131
By the shape of the cutouts for the turn signals, the top one appears to be for a 66 and the bottom for a 65. Without unwrapping my re-chromed 65 Dart front bumper, I can't say for sure.

Please, don't unwrap your bumper!

Thanks, Don. I got the same suggestion on Facebook. From the guy who was hoping to get a rear '66 bumper.

Well, it doesn't look like the bottom one - regardless of what year it is - is going to fit. It is narrower. Bollocks. Looks like I'm on the hunt for a front bumper ...

Are you running the original 273 exhaust manifolds on 360 heads, in the pictures you posted above in this thread?

Well, just as I suspected the manifold is interfereing with the block. I don't see any problems grinding some off that part, though. Do you?

edit: That's not the block, it's the head, stupid. :banghead:

-
Back