66 valiant disk brake conversion??

-

65 Mopar

66 Ficks
Reaction score
IMG_2573.JPG
The brakes on my car have to be modified! I have drum all around and want to do disk in the front. The problem I was told from the previous owner is that with the 14" rally rims they don't make a disk that would fit.
So I gues that's my first question..what combo would fit?

I have access to two spindals with new disks and calipers off a 71 or 72 barracuda..but they are large bolt pattern...that would mean I'd have to change my rims if they would even work in the first place???

So I need help from with this.
Thanks ahead of time guys.. :)

If you can source a set of Kelsey Hayes disc brakes (spindles, calipers, rotors with hubs), they will fit no problem with your SBP Rallyes. There are other aftermarket kits that bolt to your 10 inch drum brake spindle and uses SBP As well. This topic is well covered in different threads - the search function will point these threads out.

I have access to two spindals with new disks and calipers off a 71 or 72 barracuda..
Those E Body brake parts would sell very easily to E Body guys. If you decided to swap to LBP, they would fit the car with the addition of a 73-76 A Body UCA.

If you can source a set of Kelsey Hayes disc brakes (spindles, calipers, rotors with hubs), they will fit no problem with your SBP Rallyes. There are other aftermarket kits that bolt to your 10 inch drum brake spindle and uses SBP As well. This topic is well covered in different threads - the search function will point these threads out.
Thanks

Those E Body brake parts would sell very easily to E Body guys. If you decided to swap to LBP, they would fit the car with the addition of a 73-76 A Body UCA.

Is there any real big bennifit to going to LBP?

Also, would an e-body rear end (with disk brake setup) fit under my 66 a-body valiant?

I have the same car as you, and am doing the front disc conversion. I've been working to clean up the shop so I have room to put the thing on jack stands and start taking it apart. There should be action out there soon! The only reason I know of to go with LBP over SBP is a greater selection of wheels. LBP gives you lots more options on size, width, backspacing, etc. I went with the Kelsey Hayes setup partly because it's more original to the car, and because I didn't care about being restricted to 14" wheels. I am running 14" steelies and they fit fine.

I have the same car as you, and am doing the front disc conversion. I've been working to clean up the shop so I have room to put the thing on jack stands and start taking it apart. There should be action out there soon! The only reason I know of to go with LBP over SBP is a greater selection of wheels. LBP gives you lots more options on size, width, backspacing, etc. I went with the Kelsey Hayes setup partly because it's more original to the car, and because I didn't care about being restricted to 14" wheels. I am running 14" steelies and they fit fine.

Nice! I feel the same as you about not minding the 14"..
If you don't mind me asking, about how much am I looking at when all is said and done?

Where did you find all your parts?

Also, would an e-body rear end (with disk brake setup) fit under my 66 a-body valiant?

As is, the E Body rear end is too wide. I suppose the perches could be re-located to A Body width. Because of the overall width of the rear end, wheel backspacing would then be a problem. An A Body- specific rear end (such as an 8.25) would work much better if switching to LBP up front since the 8.25 is also LBP.

The real issue is the limited selection of 14" tires, luckily I think Michelin still has some decent ones for that will fit a '66 Valiant. Most sbp wheels are 14", yes there are some after market 15"'wheels but when you add the expense of brand new wheels you might as well go LBP.
Looks like you already have Rally wheels which are probably 14" so the original Kelsey Hayes systems is a good choice for you and these brakes work very well. Place a wanted add & Im sure someone can help within two weeks. I would buy these calipers with stainless steel pistons Stainless Piston Barracuda, Dart, Demon, Swinger, Scamp, Signet, Valiant 1965-1972 Right Front Caliper
And you should also replaced the single reservoir master cylinder with a dual reservoir version because it's much safer.

Nice! I feel the same as you about not minding the 14"..
If you don't mind me asking, about how much am I looking at when all is said and done?

Where did you find all your parts?

I got the entire KH setup from a forum member either here or on FABO, I can't recall which one. The guy was a former mechanic that went through it completely and cleaned it up when rebuilding it. It's gorgeous! It wasn't cheap, I think it was about $900 but I thought it was worth it. Also, the KH brakes meant I didn't have to fiddle with different control arms or suspension - all the stock stuff fits as is. I did go to different wheels, 14x4.5 stock steelies in front, with 14x7 one-off customs a local guy made for his 66 Val Wagon. It's all the wheel and tire I can get under the rear fenders in stock configuration. The car isn't going to be a street beast, just a spunky driver. I figured 14" wheels with the original 7-1/4 rear end and its 9" drums will get me by just fine. If I blow something up I'll just rebuild it...
:steering:

I did the disc swap on my '65 GT. Found a K&H setup off a '70 Dart Swinger. They bolted right up and fit my 14" SBP Rallye wheels. The setup cost me $300 plus new lines, pads, and a new dual reservoir master. I got the parts from a member here, and luckily he lived close so I did not pay shipping. It was an easy swap since I had 10" drums on the front. The brakes work great, I'm glad it did it.

I did the disc swap on my '65 GT. Found a K&H setup off a '70 Dart Swinger. They bolted right up and fit my 14" SBP Rallye wheels. The setup cost me $300 plus new lines, pads, and a new dual reservoir master. I got the parts from a member here, and luckily he lived close so I did not pay shipping. It was an easy swap since I had 10" drums on the front. The brakes work great, I'm glad it did it.

This might sound like a silly question but I'm not sure how to go about or if I even need a power brake booster? Do I need to get one or will the duel master do the trick by its self?

I have manual K-H discs on my 66, which I sourced from a 67 Barracuda, and they work just fine! I wouldn't try to source a power disc unit as they are hard to find for 66 cars, they have a goofy air box for the vacuum that's hard to find and expensive! Try to get all of the parts from the car if you can, includinfnall of the distribution blocks and prop valve!

I have a complete K-H setup still on a 68 Cuda if you're interested! I'll be taking all of it off in the next couple weeks!!

I wouldn't try to source a power disc unit as they are hard to find for 66 cars, they have a goofy air box for the vacuum that's hard to find and expensive!

That particular PB set up would be better suited for someone do a by-the-book nuts and bolts resto (like Ulf did with his award winning gorgeous 65 DartCharger!). If you absolutely need/want power brakes, a 67-up booster works just fine. I sent this one (a 68 or so disc brake Midland Ross) to Booster Dewey who rebuilt it and cosmetically restored it as well. It's going on either my 65 wagon or 65 Barracuda.
IMG_7096.JPG

In my experience the manual disc brakes are great on a '66 Valiant. There's no need for power brakes.
And best of all it sounds like Cosgig has what you need for the K-H brake system. As I mentioned earlier I would get the rebuilt calipers with the stainless pistons and you'll be good for many years.

This might sound like a silly question but I'm not sure how to go about or if I even need a power brake booster? Do I need to get one or will the duel master do the trick by its self?

I agree with the posts above and my experience is that power boost is not nessisary. Just going from drums to discs will increase your braking power exponentially.

Man! You guys are the best help (once again) someone could ask for!

I appreciate Cosig and others for reaching out! Yesterday another member (retractable) reached out and I've now acquired the spidals/hubs, K.H. calipers, rotors..
Then I called up the guy at the caliper shop one of you guys recommended and worked out exchanging the calipers I got from retractable as cores towards the refurbished w/stainless pucks K.H calipers! Wow!! If that's not a run on sentence...:)

The parts left I know of that I'm going to need are master cyl, proportioning valve, brake lines, pads, and the bolts that hold the caliper to the spindals.

Thank you guys!

The parts left I know of that I'm going to need are master cyl, proportioning valve, brake lines, pads, and the bolts that hold the caliper to the spindals.

Thank you guys!

The caliper bolts that hold the caliper to the spindle are hard to find; however, a member here on FABO (from Canada?) has repro'd them. Everything else can be easily sourced locally or on line.

The caliper bolts that hold the caliper to the spindle are hard to find; however, a member here on FABO (from Canada?) has repro'd them. Everything else can be easily sourced locally or on line.

What's so special about the bolts? Anybody have a picture?

View attachment 1715041184 The brakes on my car have to be modified! I have drum all around and want to do disk in the front. The problem I was told from the previous owner is that with the 14" rally rims they don't make a disk that would fit.
So I gues that's my first question..what combo would fit?

I have access to two spindals with new disks and calipers off a 71 or 72 barracuda..but they are large bolt pattern...that would mean I'd have to change my rims if they would even work in the first place???

So I need help from with this.
Thanks ahead of time guys.. :)

Go to firmfeel.com they will answer all your questions and make all the parts you need

SBP is not limited to 14" wheels. There have been links to a company who sells 17" alloy rims for SBP, and fairly reasonable ~$170 ea. Re 14" tires, it isn't a problem for a driver. My 1980's M-B use 14" and I find a wide selection. I have Yokohama Avid Touring S on one car, which are slightly up-scale. Probably limited selection for racing type tires, but I wouldn't pay that much anyway.

Check ebay for a booster/MC w/ brackets. I have seen for <$140. Appears based on a common after-market GM booster, but all interfaces match. Yellow chromate coating. But, many people here are OK using a manual MC w/ front disks. Just get the smallest bore you can find. A 2-4 adapter plate ($30 ebay) lets you use many newer aluminum MC's. I have one w/ 7/8" ID bore on my 64 Valiant (95-99, Breeze, Cirrus, Sratus w/ ABS).

Order a new MC for a 73-76 power disc brake car from any ordinary parts store but run it manually. No need for power brakes unless you are physically limited. This will get you a 7/8 bore and it bolts right in place. Use the pushrod from your existing setup. You will have to fab or buy brakes lines for the MC. I've done this 3 times and you'll love the brake feel with your new K-H discs. No need to get fancy here.

-
Back