67 Barracuda headlight switch wiring?

-

bmoparmofo

Reaction score
I'm going to reinstall an M&H harness in my 67 Barracuda, on the bottom of the terminal there looks like there's a single Spade connection but I don't see anything for it? Am I missing a wire somewhere or have I lost my mind? Or possibly both? Lol thanks for any help I appreciate it!

20190623_143729.jpg

I believe that"s a ground. It don't always make a good ground through the dash. You can prove it by taking a 'continuity tester" set to Ohms and check resistance to the steel end. It should have the same reading as touching the probes to each other.

I believe that"s a ground. It don't always make a good ground through the dash. You can prove it by taking a 'continuity tester" set to Ohms and check resistance to the steel end. It should have the same reading as touching the probes to each other.
Okay I don't see any kind of a wire for it? A quick look at the diagram if I'm reading it correctly I don't even see it on here?

Screenshot_20190623-145545_Google.jpg

That terminal is a ground connector and has no function related to the headlight switch. As said above, it can be used to provide another ground for the dash lights and gauges.

That terminal is a ground connector and has no function related to the headlight switch. As said above, it can be used to provide another ground for the dash lights and gauges.
Okay thanks you reply so it's just kind of optional at this point? I'm not the one that disconnected it so it always adds to the challenge of figuring it back out.. thanks again

Yes, optional. It may be an easy way to add a dash ground if you need one. I don't know about later years, but I don’t think it was used in 69.

Last edited:
For 1967 the OEM switch didn't have that ground terminal or wire. Its on all replacement switches so the one size fits all. Might not help much but cant hurt to add a ground wire there. Best place the add a ground wire on this inst' panel is on the pot metal inst' housing itself. I attach with ring terminal at lower one of the 3 screws at center gauge pod.

This cavity?
upload_2019-6-23_20-23-16.png

It's marked P in 67 Barracuda sup. I'm sure it is in the FSM too.
upload_2019-6-23_20-25-31.png

I'd run a continuity check and make sure it doesn't connect to anything else!
You feel more than foolish if it connects to the parking lights (for some other application).
I beleive there is one circuit that grounds to the body in the switch. When the knob is rotated all the way it connects the dome light to ground.
So if its a ground, that's probably the one it should have continuity with when closed.

The yellow wire for dome lamp grounds to the body of the switch, same as the door jamb switches ground that wire. In vehicles where the switch body is mounted in metal no more path is req'd. Not all models have this switch mounted in metal. That's why all replacement switches will have the added spade terminal for the ground wire whether its req'd or not.

The yellow wire for dome lamp grounds to the body of the switch, same as the door jamb switches ground that wire. In vehicles where the switch body is mounted in metal no more path is req'd. Not all models have this switch mounted in metal. That's why all replacement switches will have the added spade terminal for the ground wire whether its req'd or not.
That makes sense, thanks for the info!

It would be nice if they'd indicate that on the wiring diagrams... There's absolutely no indication that the switch body needs a ground. (Yeah, it's a few years later).

It would be nice if they'd indicate that on the wiring diagrams... There's absolutely no indication that the switch body needs a ground. (Yeah, it's a few years later).
LOL that is done A LOT. The diagrams don't tell you the ECU for breakerless ignition needs grounded, nor the voltage regulator. There are lots and lots of other examples

-
Back