67 cuda FB progress UPDATE

Metallic GunMetal Grey with Gloss black stripes or Flat black stripes?

• Total voters
-
My son and I are at our very first car show right now and we actually won't a trophy.
I haven't looked but I'll bet it's a participation trophy. Now a days everyone gets one of those don't they?
Actually, Cruz'not magazine is here and had me sign a waiver form so they can publish pictures if they so decide to. We'll see.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It's cool to hear that the car's on the road and you picked up a trophy! I've never been to a show where there were 'participation awards'. I'm guessing it's more than that. Congrats!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It's cool to hear that the car's on the road and you picked up a trophy! I've never been to a show where there were
'participation awards'. I'm guessing it's more than that. Congrats!
It was given for best body and paint from a sponsoring body shop.
I also picked up the spectators favorite award a few minutes ago..
I'm very surprised and grateful.

SHEESH! Did they have any awards left for anybody else? Double-congrats!

We made it back with just a little bit less rubber on the rear tires. My wife wasn't thrilled but my son couldn't get the **** eaten grin off his face.
There were a handful of Mopar'shock there and total about a hundred cars, trucks and scooters.
Here's just a few.

Trying to post photos but it says there too big.
How can I make the files smaller

20160903_101525.jpg

View attachment 1714964906

It seems that you've taken pictures in a very high resolution. It's great for picture clarity but not always friendly with website posting. You could open each picture in your PAINT program and resize them.

it's been a long
time since i posted anything but i do have an update.
I toasted my motor.
I'm in the process of gathering another. it'll be a 318 so I don't have to make any modifications to anything on the car.
sucks, but that's just the way it goes sometimes. i'll keep you posted as it progresses.
I did finally get the upholstery done, for the most part anyways. I'll see about posting up pictures of how I did the seats and carpet soon. I hope you all are doing well.

it's been a long
time since i posted anything but i do have an update.
I toasted my motor.
I'm in the process of gathering another. it'll be a 318 so I don't have to make any modifications to anything on the car.
sucks, but that's just the way it goes sometimes. i'll keep you posted as it progresses.
I did finally get the upholstery done, for the most part anyways. I'll see about posting up pictures of how I did the seats and carpet soon. I hope you all are doing well.

So, did the 318 go out with a whimper or a bang? I'd donate my old 318 to you if you were closer just to see my twin back on the street.

Nice build! Just saw your thread for the first time.
Coincidence that we are building a 69 fastback and it is Viper Gun Metal Pearl and will have Matte Black Stripes.
And we are in Snohomish!
Picked up our project car March 26 2016. Have a ways to go. The Viper Gun Metal Pearl is a little darker than your car but in the early 80's I had a 68 that I painted Smoke Gray Poly... very similar. Will you be at the Mopars Unlimited Spring Round Up in June at Mariner High School in Everett? I would love to see your car in person!

Coincidence that we are building a 69 fastback and it is Viper Gun Metal Pearl and will have Matte Black Stripes.
And we are in Snohomish!
Picked up our project car March 26 2016. Have a ways to go. The Viper Gun Metal Pearl is a little darker than your car but in the early 80's I had a 68 that I painted Smoke Gray Poly... very similar. Will you be at the Mopars Unlimited Spring Round Up in June at Mariner High School in Everett? I would love to see your car in person!
I had the original 273 in previously and it went out in a whisper. Or whimper. Bad rod knock all of a sudden, lost all oil pressure after it spiked to 90lbs, over heated and limped it home just as it smoked. It's not worth it to salvage the 273. I have way to much Into it already.
As far as me going to the Mopar show in Everett. Well, I was planning to but it all depends on weather or not i have an engine built and installed.
Thanks for the nice comments and if you need help sometime with your build just let me know.

Last edited:
I appreciate that John but as you said, it's a bit of a hike back and forth between us. It would be cool to have my twins heart as a transplant though. By the way, I'm still reading your thread and love the work and projects. I admire your vigilant posting all the time. I get side tracked to easy. That and i don't lime sharing. L.O.L!!
So, did the 318 go out with a whimper or a bang? I'd donate my old 318 to you if you were closer just to see my twin back on the street.

And we are in Snohomish!

Last edited:
Man, it seems like that 273 has been the bane of your project if I recall correctly. Will be interested in watching your 318 build progress.

View attachment 1714964906
Capture.JPG

You can try uploading first to a photo hosting site like Photobucket, Flicker or Google Photos and then post links using the icon next to the smiley face on the toolbar instead of uploading images directly to FABO. Or resize them to smaller files for upload in any photo editing program.

lets not forget the A-727. Three times a charm. or was it fourth time?
I've spent so much money between the two, I don't want to even look at my FAT file folders of parts receipts.

here is the oldish 273 out of the car and here is a finger full of metal that was in the oil pan. there was 1/8th inch thick layer on the bottom of the pan.
The new 318 motor is built and installed. the cast number shows it a 1970 block?
or is it a 69? I think a 69. pictures and another post coming later this evening.

20170513_115906.jpg

20170513_182819.jpg

Last edited:
so, after consulting with my financier (my wife) we, and I do mean she decided against building one myself this go around and instead purchase a long block thru S&J. they used my 340 crank after truing it up and I found a set of 714 heads and they rebuilt them as well. the heads are basically 302's with the swirl port heart shape as do the 302's. as I understand it they are the pre-magnum design and flow better and increase the compression. with the thin gaskets it's 9.5.1 compression. I also sent KB pistons to be used and they supplied the rest. I did have a semi mild r.v cam installed. I don't remember the exact numbers at the moment. I received the engine about a week ago and it came painted red. obviously I changed that as it won't look good in my engine compartment. I painted it the same color as the car. (body color)
Here are a few pictures of prepping it for sealer and paint and assembly. The sauga continued though but I'll get into that a bit later.
Afte looking at the numbers on the block, I believe it is saying it was cast on March 22nd in 1969

20170511_170421 - Copy.jpg

20170511_170551 - Copy.jpg

20170511_170541.jpg

20170515_184059.jpg

20170515_184115.jpg

20170516_183353.jpg

20170517_174730 - Copy.jpg

20170517_174730.jpg

20170519_181741.jpg

Last edited:
Hear is the finished result as it sits in the car.
there is more to the story than that but I'll post it up in a bit. some things went way wrong.

20170525_190042.jpg

-
Back