68 cuda exhaust pipe routing

-

jamesromeos

Reaction score
my car is currently at the exhaust shop and my exhaust guy doesn't know how to run the pipes down off the manifoldsand whether or not they should run under the tie rods ora different route any suggestions or pictures would help I would really like to keep the stock manifolds

Make it like a stock 340 system....

A good exhaust guy should know how to route the pipes...

Keep in mind that sometime you may need to remove the starter and need clearance for that...

What exhaust manifolds do you have?

If he had to ask you this, he must see it's really tight in there. Not a wham bam easy job.

Which brings us to the next question. If he's asking, is this over his skill level? Under the suspension is not acceptable and not needed for cast manifolds.

There was a person here that was being charged a ton of money to put a set of headers on. They were tricky, but it was apparent the mechanic was over his head and didn't have the experience to do the job efficiently. This is were it's sometimes cheaper to pay a qualified experienced person with higher labor rate than a cheaper person with less skills that takes 2-3 times longer to do the job.

Also you can see the value of an Accurate or TTI headpipe kit from cast manifolds.

I have Stock 68 318 manifolds. I have no Idea if there is a variation to them. The exhaust guy I think knows what he is doing....He has been doing exhaust's for me for the last 15 years. (all custom) He was concerned about how tight the bends would have to be, and clearance. There is only like 1 3/4" y pipe on the car now, not much more room in diameter in prox. to the tie rod.
I thought there would be more room under the car.
Did the 318 have an option for dual exhaust in 68?

I have Stock 68 318 manifolds. I have no Idea if there is a variation to them. The exhaust guy I think knows what he is doing....He has been doing exhaust's for me for the last 15 years. (all custom) He was concerned about how tight the bends would have to be, and clearance. There is only like 1 3/4" y pipe on the car now, not much more room in diameter in prox. to the tie rod.
I thought there would be more room under the car.
Did the 318 have an option for dual exhaust in 68?

No 318 dual exhaust in any A-body offered.

The 340 Hi Po manifolds are very tight to pitman and idler with 2 1/2" headpipes. Maybe search for: 340 manifold TTI headpipe or 340 manifold TTI header in the FABO search function and on Google Images.

Also might want to modify your thread title to: 318 w/manifolds head pipe routing?

Here's a system that I had on a 68 Cuda with Hooker headers that I later replaced the headers with stock exhaust manifolds after the pipes got crushed too bad...

View attachment Exh B01 B.jpg

View attachment Exh B02 B.jpg

View attachment Exh B03 B.jpg

View attachment Exh B04 B.jpg

View attachment Exh A01 B.jpg

View attachment Exh A02 B.jpg

Here's another system that I had built for a stock 70 Dart Swinger with a 318 and stock manifolds. Notice how we put a split in the h-pipe to make it easier to r&r the trans when needed, or else put the h-pipe further back behind the tans tail...

View attachment Exh A03 B.jpg

View attachment Exh A04 B.jpg

View attachment Exh A05 B.jpg

Here's a close up of the split.

View attachment Exh A06 B.jpg

All of these cars were plumbed by Watson Engineering downriver Detroit, MI. The guy who did the custom work retired and they no longer do exhaust work for private individuals. They also made custom prototype exhaust for the auto manufacturers...

Find a qualified shop to do the work... It doesn't sound like your guy is not at the proper skill level for this kind of work...

I think .youre right about that. from the pictures and videos I have looked at online it really doesn't look too complicated to but that exhaust Together. the only other question I have is can you squeeze a two and a quarter pipe by the passenger side of the gas tank is can you squeeze a two and a quarter pipe

I think .youre right about that. from the pictures and videos I have looked at online it really doesn't look too complicated to but that exhaust Together. the only other question I have is can you squeeze a two and a quarter pipe by the passenger side of the gas tank is can you squeeze a two and a quarter pipe

TTI makes a 2 1/2" pipe past the gas tank. It's close. I have it on my car going to factory-like stainless tips that are 2 1/2".

On a 67 A-body it might interfere with the 67 only side to side gas tank strap, which you don't/shouldn't have.

-
Back