68 Dart first time out

-
Love the sleeper dog dish Mopars ! If you have the time, can you post all specs. that you have for the motor. I have a 69' custom w/360 that I am thinking of updating....thanks Dj

Love the sleeper dog dish Mopars ! If you have the time, can you post all specs. that you have for the motor. I have a 69' custom w/360 that I am thinking of updating....thanks Dj

The first page has some specs and the cam card down at the bottom. Don't know everything about it as it was in the car when I purchased it.

I was wondering if they let you
run the car with the dog dish hubcaps?

The Thursday night 1/8 mile stuff they don't seem to care much. The bigger tracks like up at Vegas made me take them off. Don't think your suppose to have them on is the rule.

very nice sleeper keep working on suspension your get there

Thanks
Need to get back at it. Currently I can't seem to stall the car up on the line or it spins badly. My best 60' are just off idle on the line. Wanting to add Caltract set up but waiting for $$$$

Rather than start a new thread lets see if I can revive this one. I'm ready to make the car faster. Based on the info below can I tune it up? Is it time for some head porting? Or Do I need a bigger badder enging like Brian just built in Car Craft? Lets put the target on the 11.50et mark, don't need more than that on this car. How much HP needed? I'm open to superchargers, and nitrous:D

Would love to here comments on the car like if the numbers all add up. Do you think the motor and car is are working efficient. Is there some tuning in order. Keep in mind the car is a street/strip combo.

Since I didn't build this engine/car I dug up all the paper work to get the specs. Most all the work was by previous owner kind of a budget stroker. Here is the motor specs based on the receipts given to me.

Motor specs
360 block
eagle 408 stroker kit cast crank "I" beam rods dish pistons -16.9cc
Edlebrock Alum. heads part #ED-60779 bare no porting
Cam Lunati part # 40418 .550/.571 lift 256/[email protected] lift duration
Compression 10.4 based on advertised head 63cc and stroker kit numbers
RPM dual plane intake
770 Holley Advenger carb
Mopar electronic ignition orang box

11" convertor 3000 stall guess
904 trans my guess no special treatment

Dana 60 rear with 4.10 gears sure grip

275-60-15 Drag radials 28" tall

Engine Dyno numbers 461hp at 5600rpm 500tq at 4500 rpm

Car weights about 3400 going down the track with me in it.

Can't really stall up the motor on launch or it will spin the tires
leaving the line at about 1000RPM them hammer it. This will normally keep the rear tires hooked.

90/10 front shocks

1/4 mile Vegas 60' 1.741 12.32 @109.91
1/4 mile Fontana 1.706 60' 7.731 1/8 12.114 1/4 112.02 mph

1/8 mile Irwindale average about a 1.67 60' 7.72 1/8 @ 89 to 90mph

461 hp at 3400 should run in the 117-119 range with an ET down in the 11.30 range

My guess, the converter isn't near what it could be. Probably a big slip ratio in it being an 11" unit. Get a good converter and I bet it picks up .3 and 3-5 mph alone.

The carb is holding it back as well. Did they dyno it with that carb? It could use every bit of a 950hp.

Porting would pick it up for sure. There's some hp getting them opened up.

Sounds like there is a lot of tuning or potential left in the car then with a little work.

Actually they dynoed with a Holley 850 douple pumper that I kept on the car for awile. Changing to the 770 just made the car drive the street so much better and didn't seam to give up much if any at the track.

I was going to change convertor but when I told manufacture I had the gear vendor o/d they really backed off on the the looseness of what I needed making me second guess the investment. The existing convertor came from Pro Trans in Lancaster about 6 years ago. It's a $350 unit, they were probably given motor info at that time. I'm guessing Probably just a off the self mild performance type unit.

hey, cool cra buddy! nice running engine! youll find more in it!

also, i just noticed that stroked 340 is banned. ahahaha LOL

What difference does it make having a gear vendors?

If you had a 3.08 rear gear, it's the same basic thing as a 4.10 with GV. Check out DJV's post and his Dynamic 9.5' 3800 converter. Car runs all day on the highway with a 3.23 gear. I'd get something that is realatively tight but flashes really hard.

What difference does it make having a gear vendors?

The converter guy just said it would have to be built tighter with the o/d maybe from heat build up driving on the road. Not sure? I said I'll just drive faster and higher rpm on freeway they said it didn't matter.

Gear vendors...interesting. Could it be using up a little power even when NOT engauged I wonder...

I agree, the car needs a 9.5" or 10" GOOD (Dynamic, T/A, etc) converter. And yes, the 770 avenger is a good carb, but a little weak for that motor. You should go get a time slip with the 850 to really compare.

Also, "high-five" for the little pic and ink in last months Car Craft. (While you were on the anti-tour!

Gear vendors...interesting. Could it be using up a little power even when NOT engauged I wonder...

I agree, the car needs a 9.5" or 10" GOOD (Dynamic, T/A, etc) converter. And yes, the 770 avenger is a good carb, but a little weak for that motor. You should go get a time slip with the 850 to really compare.

Also, "high-five" for the little pic and ink in last months Car Craft. (While you were on the anti-tour!

I have ran the car with both carbs and without the gear vendor can't say there was a much difference in et or mph. Well seemed to have a harder time hooking up with the 850 so it might be making some more tq. but the mph is about the same with both carbs. Really need to be able to stall it up higher on the line without blowing off the tires. Thinking of trying some caltrack rear suspension next on the list. Then mess with the converter I guess.

The anti-tour was a good time wanted to do it for years. Looking forward to next year maybe they will go back and do some racing like in the past.

Love this Dart!!!! Wayyyy cool. I bet if you went to Bakersfield on a cool fall night it will go 11s all night! There is a lot more in that thing just keep playing and you will get quite a few more tenths out of it.

-
Back