68 GTS Resto

-
I thought so but I wanted to be careful not to offend you if that is what you were putting on it. I have seen your other cars and those wheels would put the car on a complete different planet........compared to your style on the other ones.:D

No, I'm old school. Anything over 15" wheels is not my cup of tea

Have all the motor parts together, awaiting the new camshaft, lifters and springs. Got the block and heads back from shot blasting. Fortunately I won't have to bore the block. The bores will clean up nicely

My body guy has been working the driver side front fender and the doors getting the lines straight. Looks like I'll have to spring for new wheel houses. They don't look bad but I don't want to do this car half ***'d. I have the new quarters, just have to order the wheelhouses. That AMD stuff is pretty good

Attachments

• Qtr Replacement 2 (1).jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 947
  • Qtr Replacement 2 (2).jpg
    100 KB · Views: 948
  • Qtr replacement 4 (1).jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 947
  • Qtr replacement 4 (2).jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 930
  • New Qtr 1.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 958
Some pics I took today

Attachments

• SAM_0862.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 927
  • SAM_0861.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 925
  • SAM_0860.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 918
  • SAM_0859.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 913
  • SAM_0858.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 916
some progress on the GTS. Working on getting a parts car for some of the hard to find sheetmetal

Attachments

• wheel house1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 886
  • inner panel1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 896
  • driver side qtr1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 906
Taking care of some odd and ends while waiting for my suspension parts to get back from cleaning. As you can see I'll be running the Edelbrock DP4B. This was an over the counter intake that could be purchased and installed by the dealer. Of all the intakes I've had on 383s this has been the best street performer by far. We also flow tested it and it outflowed the Street Master.

The carb is a 69 AVS I picked up last summer. Couldn't pass on the price (free). I'll deviate a little on the resto and run this carb for the performance potential. It's off a 69 HP440. I Have the correct 68 AVS should I want to be anal about correctness. This is a car I want to drive

Attachments

• 69 Carter AVS 440HP (1).jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 882
  • 69 Carter AVS 440HP (2).jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 869
  • 69 440HP AVS.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 853
  • DP4B.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 831
I opened a thread in the Amarillo Mopar club web site recently. I'm hoping to find some of the original owners of the car and maybe some documentation. It would be nice to find the original owners manual with the Certicard inside. Here's some pics of the car back in the early 80's. Special thanks to FABO member hotrod340 for digging these pics up

The real challenge would be to find Keystones in the SBP

Attachments

• Yellow Dart 80's sometime.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 838
  • Yellow Dart 1980's.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 858
  • Yellow Dart circa 1980s.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 848
Were you able to locate Dan Curry?

Yes, talked with him this morning.

Seems he bought the two Dart GTS cars at the same time from the same person, maybe circa 1979, he couldn't remember. He said the guy he bought the cars from passed away. He ended up flipping the yellow car 6 months later. Sold it to a Jim Bucannon who owned D&L machine. I have the change of title where Jim sold the car to Randy Pruitt in 1979.

The mystry at this point is who was Hobart Farr. he's on the title at the same time as jim. Me thinks that maybe Hobart worked for D&L Machine.

I now need to conatct D&L Machine and see if Jim Bucannon still works there.

In addition I sent an e-mail to the Texas DMV to see if I can get title history on the car

update**************

Man, they did some serious flipping back then. Talked with a James Sikes (it's not Jim Bucannon) this afternoon who owns a machine shop in Amarillo. Seems that Dan Curry who owned both the yellow and blue GTS cars sold the cars to a fella named Jim Sikes Sr. (James dad) in late 79. At the time Jim owned two machine shops in the Amarillo area. Jim held on to both cars until 1990 when he sold the yellow car to Clifford Pruitt, the father of Rhan Pruitt who I bought the car from. Unfortunately sikes Sr. passed away in 2006. The good news is that Jim Sr gave the blue GTS to James brother who in turn had it restored upon his dad's passing and is in storage today. I gave James my e-mail and phone number to share with his brother.

Only mystry now is the additional name of Hobert Farr on the 1990 title I have. Jim Sikes is listed on the title as the lien holder while Clifford Pruitt is listed as the owner. Hobert Farr's name appears on the title under the vehicle description and vin #.

Cleaning hardware, cleaning and painting parts. Here's some of the body repairs.

Attachments

• GTS3.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 764
  • GTS2.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 769
  • gts1.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 798
Here's the top from the donor car set in place. Going to blast it before grafting it in. Also started going through boxes of all the parts I tagged and bagged last winter. boxes on the far right pallet are all the suspension parts including all the Firm Feel parts I bought this past summer.

Attachments

• Roof One.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 753
  • Roof Two.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 751
  • Roof Three.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 770
  • Parts.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 732
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=255402

Not sure if you've seen them, but here are some SBP Keystones that could be restored.

Thanks. I'm not a big Keystone fan. It's a wheel that has some following but there are certain cars they look good on a the A body is not one of them.

I have a set of SBP 15" American Torque Thrusts style wheels that are going on the car. I also have SBP steel wheels painted body color and caps for showing.

No problem. I've been following along and when I saw those listed, I remembered the pics you posted above. Looking forward to seeing more progress!

Got a bid to do my grill and finish panel

Thought I would do some checking on getting the grill and tail panel claened up. They are in pretty good shape with just a few small dings. They need cleaning and paint. I check with a vendor and this is the quote I got

The grille is about $1250, the headlight bezels (pair) around $550, the tail finish panel around $900.00

I about fell over

The ones I've talked to charge the same amount to restore those parts no matter what the condition (within reason, I'm sure). Which I don't really understand, if one of them they only have to put a little effort into and another one great effort. Those are a little higher than the prices I was quoted though.

Got a bid to do my grill and finish panel

Thought I would do some checking on getting the grill and tail panel claened up. They are in pretty good shape with just a few small dings. They need cleaning and paint. I check with a vendor and this is the quote I got

The grille is about $1250, the headlight bezels (pair) around $550, the tail finish panel around $900.00

I about fell over

You sure you didn't tell the guy you wanted them gold plate? Lol
I don't see how it could cost that much.

There is a member on here that restores those pieces. Think his screen name is Waggin if I recall.

Dart looks like it's movin along. Keep posting, you will glad when you get done to look back and see your progress!

Wheel part number from broadcast sheet 12B part number 2660312 in Black 5.5x14 steel.

And the C = December C28= dec 28th on BS and FT. 1-9 was Jan through Sept, then they used ABC for the last 3 months. Sweet ride! looking forward to seeing more!

Attachments

• GTS fender tag.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 661
  • Build Sheet.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 671

Attachments

• wheel cover (1138x512).jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 657
Guys fitted the new roof. It's glued and ready for spot welding

Attachments

• roof3.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 630
  • roof 2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 628
  • roof1.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 643
  • SAM_1020.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 635
Got the dash out. Wiring looks good but over time previous owners went crazy with the drill. Almost like someone installed a CB

Attachments

• SAM_1012.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 640
  • SAM_1013.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 636
  • SAM_1014.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 653
  • SAM_1015.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 634
and it looks like I'll need a heater box

Attachments

• heaterbox1.jpg