68 GTS Resto

-
Pictures of the engine. All in all pretty good shape. Bearings showed some scaring meaning the crank wasn't cleaned all that well when it was rebuilt. Rotating mass was really tight due to high tension rings. We'll correct that. Has the 893 pan with the unique oil control baffles. Check out the baffle at the rear of the pan. Bonuses with this motor, has forged pistons and 906F casting heads. We've found good flow numbers with this casting.

Attachments

• bare block.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 847
  • 893 Pan.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 844
  • 906F castings.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 830
  • Crank.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 865
Hood not as bad as once thought in terms of hail damage, trunk lid a little better. Driver side door was hot at one time so some massaging will have to be done and we have the new rear quarter panels and trunk floor extension

Attachments

• Dart Down to Metal9.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 814
  • Dart Down to Metal6.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 808
  • Dart Down to Metal7 (1).jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 818
  • Dart Down to Metal5.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 829
  • Dart Down to Metal4 (2).jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 832
  • Dart Down to Metal3.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 835
  • Dart Down to Metal2 (2).jpg
    99 KB · Views: 825
  • Dart Down to Metal1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 827
body work

Attachments

• Dart Down to Metal11 (1).jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 829
  • Dart Down to Metal12.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 817
Hi again!! I was your first poster when you started this! Watching and have Q's.
When is the Scheduled Production Date(SPD) of the car?
You have said the motor is #'s matching, rite?
Can you post a readable picture of all the #'s on the pad by the distributor?
Thanks, Dave

Hi again!! I was your first poster when you started this! Watching and have Q's.
When is the Scheduled Production Date(SPD) of the car?
You have said the motor is #'s matching, rite?
Can you post a readable picture of all the #'s on the pad by the distributor?
Thanks, Dave

Are you referring to the vin# stamped where the trans mates with the block? Both the trans and the block have the same vin which matches the car's vin.

Asfar as the scheduled production date where would I find that. On the build sheet?

Are you referring to the vin# stamped where the trans mates with the block? Both the trans and the block have the same vin which matches the car's vin.

Asfar as the scheduled production date where would I find that. On the build sheet?

No, the pad under the distributor hole. Should have D383 plus other numbers. Which is the assembly date of the motor and maybe HP, maybe not?

The SPD of the car is on the build sheet. I'm not real familiar with '68 fender tags so don't know if SPD is on the tag?

No, the pad under the distributor hole. Should have D383 plus other numbers. Which is the assembly date of the motor and maybe HP, maybe not?

The SPD of the car is on the build sheet. I'm not real familiar with '68 fender tags so don't know if SPD is on the tag?

I know the block was cast June 1967. The block is out getting cleaned so as soon as it gets back I'll check it out.

Man you are wasting no time!! WOW

I don't want this dragging out 8 years like my 64 Dart did. Still not finished with the 64 but at least I can drive it. It will be a little noisy inside without door panels, carpet, headlinner etc.

The guys did some more work yesterday and today. The fenders apparently had a little more damage that first thought. They (the original owner) used a gallon of mud rather than fix the fenders. We were able to save the original fenders. They are now straight so the body work can continue

Attachments

• 68 Dart Fender work 2 (2).jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 738
  • 68 Dart Fender work 2 (1).jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 765

ok, here's the info on the pad next to the distibutor port.

D 383

12-18

There's no HP stamped

We went into the whitebook and detremineed that the "D" signifies 1968 and that the date depictes the day the engine was put together.

So, the block was cast in June 15th of 1967, the engine was assembled in December, 18th 1967 and the car was assembled December 28th, 1967.

I'll check on the build sheet on the SPD.

D 383

12-18

There's no HP stamped

We went into the whitebook and detremineed that the "D" signifies 1968 and that the date depictes the day the engine was put together.

So, the block was cast in June 15th of 1967, the engine was assembled in December, 18th 1967 and the car was assembled December 28th, 1967.

Cool info!! Why are you saying the car was assembled on 12/28/67?
Yes check sheet for SPD.

My new wheels

Attachments

• Rock Chargers 002.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 724
  • Rock Chargers 003.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 717
on the bottom right of the fender tag prior to the 5 digit VON number you will see 3 digits in your case if the car was SPD of dec 28 it will read C28. the left front of the core support and left rear quarter panel are also stamped with these last digits. probably something like 82C28XXXXX. If replacing the left q-pnl might want to salvage the number from the lip under the trunk seal (can feel and verify from under) if replacing that part of the quarter panel.

D 383

12-18

There's no HP stamped

Cool info!! Why are you saying the car was assembled on 12/28/67?
Yes check sheet for SPD.

That's what's depicted on the build sheet. We've check the build sheet and there's not code marked SPD.

Attachments

• GTS fender tag.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 687
Build Sheet

Attachments

• Build Sheet.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 692
Got my pan back from being hot tanked. Check out the baffels. Also measured the sump and a six pack pan I have laying around. Both are six quart

Attachments

• Oil Pan 1 (1).jpg
    72 KB · Views: 671
  • Oil Pan 3 (1).jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 658
  • Oil Pan 3 (2).jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 672
I thought you were restoring it to original from the title? Or maybe I am taking the verbage wrong..... Resto ?

I am restoring. There will be a few mods I make internally to the motor such as stainless valves, a little cleaning up of the ports, a little hotter cam etc.

I'm staying with the stock suspension, brakes, 14" wheels and tires etc.

Depending on how it handles I may opt for a larger sway bar and maybe some heaver T bars. That's way down the road.

If you are referring to the big wheels and tires just kidding around. The guy doing the body work did that the other day when his wife had her late model 300 getting her tires changed over.

I am restoring. There will be a few mods I make internally to the motor such as stainless valves, a little cleaning up of the ports, a little hotter cam etc.

I'm staying with the stock suspension, brakes, 14" wheels and tires etc.

Depending on how it handles I may opt for a larger sway bar and maybe some heaver T bars. That's way down the road.

If you are referring to the big wheels and tires just kidding around. The guy doing the body work did that the other day when his wife had her late model 300 getting her tires changed over.

I thought so but I wanted to be careful not to offend you if that is what you were putting on it. I have seen your other cars and those wheels would put the car on a complete different planet........compared to your style on the other ones.:D

-
Back