68 twin turbo dart project.

-
Thank you! I hope it'll make 1100 at the tire with 15 pounds of boost.
wow that color is beautiful to say the least. what are your goals power wise for this beast?
Thank you! I hope to make 1100 at the wheels at 15#s of boost. Once I get an aftermarket block then I plan to swing for the fence 1600 whp.

Ok I finally caught up on stuff and I am ready to post more pictures of the build here. From this point till it ran was about 6 weeks. My buddy and I worked a few days a week at 4-5 hours a day after work. Then about 2 weeks before the deadline to leave for drag week I spent 20 hours a day everyday to get it done and my buddy came after work everyday. We were exhausted by the end. This is the front suspension install, and brake lines and master cylinder.

BE8B8B5D-CE08-4924-8B3F-AEC3A4D1C5EB_zps4gk5kmv3.jpg

IMG_0131_zpsnvtxerir.jpg

IMG_0132_zps5ag1fqwn.jpg

Also we had to paint the chassis, which was a pain in the rear with a painted car. It took me 10 hours to mask the darn thing and then painting the chassis with single stage PPG black took another 6 hours. What a long day that was. I don't really have any pictures of that because my phone took a swim and I lost a bunch of photos.

IMG_0139_zpsb50xrjgt.jpg
IMG_0134_zpsso3bnnyn.jpg
IMG_0173_zpstknjlx3e.jpg
IMG_0173_zpstknjlx3e.jpg

The front and rear suspension went in really quick and it was the kind of momentum that we needed.

We went system by system and installed some of the easy stuff to get the list shortened as quickly as possible. next up is the intercooler.

IMG_0137_zpstdazmjyq.jpg

We mounted a water to air intercooler from Chiseled Performance. I built one from 2 used spearco bricks that I bought from the swap meet years ago and the cores leaked like sieve. So rather than buy two more and start over Chiseled made this one for a few hundred more than the cores cost. Its mounted very nicely under the dash out of the way.

IMG_0137_zpstdazmjyq.jpg

The tank is on the right in the trunk, its a 5 gallon tank with a bilge pump inside it.

IMG_0136_zps1e85skhq.jpg

The plumbing for the water.

IMG_0174_zpsuqixhrml.jpg

Next was something of little significance but its the little things right? Anyways, these tail lights are from Classic Industries. These reproductions are really really nice! Not cheap but I don't mind paying for something as long as its done right. My originals were beat and mangled from many little accidents over the years.

IMG_0171_zpsxrdixydw.jpg

Same for the side markers

IMG_0170_zpssy95szfy.jpg

Here are more shots of the intercooler and overall chassis shots. The tin work was powder coated. I don't recommend powder coating your aluminum tin work. It was warped pretty good and it took us a full day to get it in and put all 8 million rivets in.

IMG_0183_zpstg91akdf.jpg
IMG_0184_zpsjxptyfm3.jpg
IMG_0182_zpsztidrsak.jpg

And another shot of the engine compartment with the master cylinder in and other pieces.

IMG_0181_zpscee41fb6.jpg

There are a lot of myths floating around the internet. One is that 727 Torqueflites are weak and can't take big power. I beg to differ and I plan to prove it. This trans is a complete custom build by Protrans in Lancaster California. It has complete billet internals and is fully rollerized. It has stock gear ratios and has a trans brake and a dump valve so I can stage the car faster. The only part that is stock is the case which I supplied. Its another swap meet buy 20 years ago at the Spring Fling in Van Nuys. This trans is cheaper than a 400 by at least half maybe more. Aftermarket 400s are 12K and up, this was just over 5k.

IMG_0177_zpspi0xdtni.jpg
IMG_0176_zps7fnbqct4.jpg
IMG_0178_zps5bx0twge.jpg

Please bring it out to Fall Fling! Even if it’s not 100% done.

There a ton of fab work and parts to geek out on. Would be a really cool car to see in progress. When they are done it often hides the cool stuff.

Please bring it out to Fall Fling! Even if it’s not 100% done.

There a ton of fab work and parts to geek out on. Would be a really cool car to see in progress. When they are done it often hides the cool stuff.

The plan is to have it out at Fall Fling. I’ll also be doing the Malibu cruise on Friday but in my Super Bee. I look forward to all the flings.

Great build! Your paint caught my eye because it reminds me of how mine looks sometimes in certain light. But your build is much more badass!

20140817_180200.jpg

... The tin work was powder coated. I don't recommend powder coating your aluminum tin work. It was warped pretty good and it took us a full day to get it in and put all 8 million rivets in.

I'd be willing to bet the warpage was caused by excessive air pressure during blasting than simply powder coating it.

Alright, next up is some shots of how I mounted the doors to my engine stand so I could put them together without damaging them or having to chase them around on a bench.

IMG_0179_zpsep35snx7.jpg
IMG_0180_zpsxvafcobi.jpg

This engine is a stock block I picked up at Spring Fling swap meet. Its a .030 340 that has been converted to 4 bolt main by Kieth Black. It has a 4340 forged steel crank from Eagle, GRP aluminum rods, and Ross turbo pistons with a reverse dome. Its 9.23 to 1 compression with a .060 head gasket and 55cc chambers. Nothing trick here even my ghetto soft jaws for my vise haha.

This engine is a stock block I picked up at Spring Fling swap meet. Its a .030 340 that has been converted to 4 bolt main by Kieth Black. It has a 4340 forged steel crank from Eagle, GRP aluminum rods, and Ross turbo pistons with a reverse dome. Its 9.23 to 1 compression with a .060 head gasket and 55cc chambers. Nothing trick here even my ghetto soft jaws for my vise haha.

I think I remember you getting that block. Or seeing it for sale. Was it just a block, or did other stuff come with it?

The Dart is awesome! Not many of us have the time resources, skills or patience to complete a project of this size. My hats off to you, can't wait to see it at Fall Fling.

The Dart is awesome! Not many of us have the time resources, skills or patience to complete a project of this size. My hats off to you, can't wait to see it at Fall Fling.

Thanks man, I appreciate that. I really liked watching your Dart come together. Do you still have it? Make sure you say hi and identify yourself at the Fling.

I think I remember you getting that block. Or seeing it for sale. Was it just a block, or did other stuff come with it?

Yeah we ran into each other when I was wheeling it out of the swap meet. It was just a block. I love the swap meet there but it isn't as good as it was ten years ago. Seems like the parts are drying up.

Thanks man, I appreciate that. I really liked watching your Dart come together. Do you still have it? Make sure you say hi and identify yourself at the Fling.

Yeah we ran into each other when I was wheeling it out of the swap meet. It was just a block. I love the swap meet there but it isn't as good as it was ten years ago. Seems like the parts are drying up.
Still have the Dart but it's been sidelined due to work and other commitments. Wife told me to sell it and I said never! Lol...

More on the engine. I bought a new set of W5s in 1999 from Summit Racing. I wanted to make the most power I can from my combination and I really wasn't sure how to build a high end small block. So I looked to Brian Hafliger at IMM and he set me up with what I needed. He ported the heads and set up the valve job and springs. I also bought the camshaft (Comp solid roller) and lifters (BAMM). The rockers we chose are from Jesel. Man did the heads turn out nice. Overall I am really happy with how it turned out and went together. Here are some photos.

IMG_0318_zpsasbbnm29.jpg
IMG_0319_zpsprli2qgu.jpg

IMG_0320_zps7afe3s33.jpg

IMG_0321_zpsmrp036dz.jpg

IMG_0322_zpsxjucvxf4.jpg

IMG_0323_zpskjkttzho.jpg

IMG_0325_zpsytzhfexg.jpg

IMG_0327_zpsuyryaqcw.jpg

-
Back