68 Valiant

-
Well, the engine and transmission were both dyno'd, so all i had to do was bolt on the carb and drop in the distributor and turn the key. I had quite a bit of trouble getting the starter to work with the correct positive battery cable connection, so i had the header, torsion bar, etc off and on so many times i could do it in my sleep. I fired it up and very slowly ran it up and down the street to test everything like the "BRAKES", before i smash the gas pedal. The car shifted and acted very good with no major problems other than some small issues. One problem that i may have is cooling, "surprise, surprise", It seemed to cool at idle but gets hot moving. Im going to try a high flow thermostat and one large elec fan in place of the shroud and the two smaller units. I just dont think they are moving enough air. I may even try a stock shroud and fan. I drove it a total of about 1 mile, so im not getting real worried just yet. I set the timing at 38 deg, so i may play with that to see if that may be the issue.
Very nice work!
With your cooling...couldn,t you drill a bunch of big holes in the scroud to help cool air pass through(help cooling)Just a thought.Keep us updated with your fix.:D

I thought about that, and i may end up trying it. it just doesnt seem like the small fans pull much. Im even considering a stock shroud and a mopar clutch fan. for a street driven car i dont see a big problem with a clutch fan, but i dont have much room between the waterpump and the radiator. i picked up a 16'' single electric and ill try it and see what happens there first.

Thanks, It sounds pretty stout, i cant wait to let it fly. i also need to get the front end aligned before i get to crazy

Got the hood back from paint, cut the hole and installed the scoop. Didnt turn out to bad, you can just see the air filter through the scoop.

Attachments

• 68 valiant 006.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 879
  • 68 valiant 007.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 775
  • 68 valiant 008.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 788
  • 68 valiant 009.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 814
Did you go with the 1 3/4 header? If so how was the clearance around the drag link and such.
This is one fantastic car. Job well done!
partmopar

I worked on it for a bit yesterday. Replaced the master cylinder, coil, Installed a battery, got the reverse lights working, and located the plate and paperwork to get plates. Then its off to get the front end aligned in the next week or so. I also looked over the radiator situation, im just not happy with the electric fan situation. Im going to try a re-cored original radiator, shroud, and mopar viscous fan.

That's the route I'm going. But due to using a 70 and up water pump I had to get a 70-2 rad,shroud and fan clutch.

Here is a pic of the vinyl top trim,locations and the what the clips look like. They use nail head studs but my body guy says use rivets since the car is already painted. I took as many angle pics as I could to show trim location,let me know if you need more. I will get some of the front as well and post.

Attachments

• Picture 1430.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 498
  • Picture 1421.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 469
  • Picture 1429.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 506
  • Picture 1428.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 513
The studs are weld on nail heads. My body guy said just use rivets & sealer since your car is already painted. He has 5 out of the 6 clips needed for the rears. I'll get you some more pics and what he wants for it all.

dan the car is looking good.... SAY NO TO VINYL TOPS!!....control yourself brother

dan the car is looking good.... SAY NO TO VINYL TOPS!!....control yourself brother
HAHA! It was an original vinyl top car! why don't you like them???? White car with a black top wouldn't look to bad!

It's at the body shop getting a repaint in white, and a new black vinyl top. the rear quarters and trunk extensions needed work,and the body shop had an opening. I really wasn't hot on tearing it all back apart, but the shop had an opening so I had to take the opportunity. I also had all the stainless trim repaired and polished. When it returns, I'll try and fit the STR manifold and duel 4bbls.

I love your Valiant but I agree leave the vinyl top off.The black top will take away the look of the car.You do really nice work by the way.

Some of the latest from the body shop. The trunk extensions, lower rear quarters, lower front fenders, have been repaired,all stainless has been polished and most weather-stripping has been replaced. And yes, im going back with a black vinyl top like original. sorry guys.

Attachments

• DSCN2884.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 313
  • DSCN3014.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 320
  • DSCN3196.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 319
  • DSCN3234.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 311
Hey Dan, how are things coming? You have accomplished so much with this build. it is one of my favorites! Hope things are going well, keep us posted

-
Back