69 barracuda resto

-

kdbunn

Reaction score
So I was well into my repair work before it dawned on me that some might be interested in seeing pics on it. I always like pictures-It saves reading :) Unfortunately due to that, I missed taking pics of some of the work already done, but my project is slow, so still have lots to document. Money and time are scarce commodities.
My car is a 69 Barracuda notchback. Bought it as a basket case 6 years ago. The 340 was in pieces and most of the rest of the car was in the trunk or in boxes. It is not numbers matching, which I don't care about because I plan on doing a mild pro touring on it. The car overall was in fairly good shape rustwise But needed 1/4's and front aprons badly.
It is an A53 optioned car, F5 Limelight over F8 interior with a green vinyl roof which I plan on changing to black (I like green but sometimes there is such a thing as too much). C16 Buckets and console, D32 727 Torqueflite trans.
I plan to install a Reilly front suspension after I sell my firstborn(which might be tough since he is almost 40). I bought a used A518 (non-lockup) to have rebuilt and plan to swap it in. I also plan to buy a Hughes stroker rotating assembly for the 340 along with an Edelbrock pro-flo Fuel injection kit.
Below are some of the pics which have brought it to the present condition.

Lt quarter inners painted.jpg

Lt quarter installed.jpg

Rear deack removed.jpg

Rear deck installed.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Project! We were out your way this summer, but had to pass since we couldn't find a place to RV on the entire Sunshine Coast. Too bad, it was on our Bucket List.

Also found took some pics of the Left fender I repaired. Unfortunately it was one of the things I didn't think about taking a pic of as I was doing it. The entire piece that bolts to the apron was rotten as well as a bit of the upper outer fender. I had an old Dart fender laying around with good inners so cut that off and spliced it into the 'cuda fender, then patched the outer hole. You can see where I spliced the section in. Only a blind man could see my repair now.:lol:

Lt fender inner.jpg

Lt fender upper.jpg

Lt fender repaired.jpg

Nice work! Those fenders are ridiculously priced
Yes they are, if you can find them. My buddy bought a fiberglass fender because he couldn't find a decent steel one and ended up throwing it away after hours of trying to fit it properly.

Very nice car looking forward to seeing progress...If I didn't have a 67 and 69 dart a notchback barracuda would be top on my list

Hey, I found your restoration thread. NICE work so far. You must like rust repair as much as I do. I really enjoy cutting out rust and welding in new metal. Do you do your own paint also?

Hey, I found your restoration thread. NICE work so far. You must like rust repair as much as I do. I really enjoy cutting out rust and welding in new metal. Do you do your own paint also?
Yup. I'm like you. That's my favorite part of bodywork- rust repair, panel replacement and fabrication. I can paint, and I do, but it is not my favorite. My shop is small and I do all my work in it so it takes a whole day to blow everything off and clean out everything just so I can spray without getting boulders in the finish so it's alot of work. And i'm kind of picky so I usually end up wet sanding and polishing everthing, so for a complete that means a weeks worth of work and that kills my back. But hey, I like the end product so it's usually worth it.

Yup. I'm like you. That's my favorite part of bodywork- rust repair, panel replacement and fabrication. I can paint, and I do, but it is not my favorite. My shop is small and I do all my work in it so it takes a whole day to blow everything off and clean out everything just so I can spray without getting boulders in the finish so it's alot of work. And i'm kind of picky so I usually end up wet sanding and polishing everthing, so for a complete that means a weeks worth of work and that kills my back. But hey, I like the end product so it's usually worth it.

I wish you lived closer. It sounds like we have a lot in common.

I had a chance to spend some more time on my car. Finished off the end panel and did the right quarter panel. Loaded up some pics of the stages I did.
Rt qtr cut off.jpg

Rt qtr inners washed.jpg

Rt qtr inners painted.jpg

Rt qtr welded.jpg

Rt qtr ready for primer.jpg

Rt qtr primed.jpg

End pnl welded.jpg

End pnl primed.jpg

The back end is done. Now onto the front inner aprons.....

Tackled the inner aprons. These could have been patched, but in for a penny, in for a pound. Besides, I figured it was almost as easy as scraping all the undercoat off the underneath.

Aprons before 1.jpg

Aprons before 2.jpg

The silver is just some acrylic enamel I had sitting around to give some protection to the shock mount inners.

Rt apron off.jpg

Used the spot welder where I could and migged the rest.

Lt apron on.jpg

Aprons done 2.jpg

Aprons done 1.jpg

Next on the menu- rotisserie fish :lol:

-
Back