72 demon 340 resto

-
I too have a special place in my heart for Demons, my dad used to talk about the "Screamin Demon" down the street when I was a little kid.Now I got one..:) Good luck with the build, looks great!

Attachments

• DSC00052.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 928
well, i ve been block sandin my *** off this week. and i ve got the whole shell sanded and ready for paint. i m disappointed that i couldn t get any of it sprayed this weekend but i don t have heat in my shop and it s gonna be a high of 45 today so i m gonna wait a bit til it warms up. the next post i put up will have realllllllllll progress pics. i m gonna shoot the engine bay and trunk first and hit the rest of the beast last.

i got the engine compartment and trunk done this week. bout time.
i got some projects going on this week and next, but i m gonna try to get the outside done soon.

Attachments

• 102_2477.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 884
  • 102_2478.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 855
  • 102_2483.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 858
finsished trunk pic

Attachments

• 102_2481.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 841
:prayer::prayer::prayer: Hurry up and paint it already!! JK, take your time and do it right. Paint should not be rushed.

itsss painteddddddddddddddddddddddd. i still have the doors and appendages to go, but the main body is painted. i ll give it month or so and flat sand it and buff it. i ll probably go after the doors next.

Attachments

• 102_2494.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 824
  • 102_2490.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 774
  • 102_2489.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 825
Lookin great. That black is.... evil :)
Makes me wanna get mine to that stage.
What paint and primers are you using?
Keep the pics coming.

Thanks guys. I used ppg dp sealer , basecoat, and ppg 2042 clear.

I bought that car! It's waiting it's turn here, although i don't have nor can I get a title for it, so not sure what I'm gonna do now.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread here. Project looks great!

Run that title less car through Alabama. Bill of sale gets a tag for it. Take the tag reciept to your state and get a local tag/title.

I wish I had a body guy who could do to my car what that Demon is getting. My Demon is kinda rough and could use another tail panel as it is rusted pretty bad under the bumper and one of the pieces between tail lights has rusted apart. Nice job!

i got it all buffed up last night. two weekends worth of wet sanding and buffing. for everyone out there who s gonna flat sand their own paint....i ve been paintin a long while and i ve flat sanded and buffed many, but..i learned a new lesson this time. some use rubber blocks, or dura blocks to flat sand, myself included. they knock most of the peel out, but if you ve never tried it.....try using a paint stick for a block. its night and day different in the flatness. and its actually easier to sand(in my opinion). i started out with the rubber blocks and wasn t happy, because i ve seen smoother, so i knew it was attainable. i ended up rapping a 6 in. wood paint stick with a piece of 1000 grit. and went to town with a spray bottle and soapy water. once i got it flat and smooth, i went back over it with a paint stick and 2000 grit. next, i used synthetic cutting compound and a wool pad at low(1000) rpm. after it was all pretty well shined up and scratch free, i went to a yellow foam compound pad and used the same cutting compound, last, i washed it down, and went after it with a grey waffle foam pad and grey 3m glaze. it still needs polished with a softer pad, but it looks awesome. super flat and smooth. i figured i d share this with those who haven t tried it because it worked really well. night and day difference in flat, smooth paint between a rubber block vs. a plain ole paint stick.

Attachments

• 102_2499.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 711
  • 102_2494.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 731
  • 102_2497.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 716
i got it all buffed up last night. two weekends worth of wet sanding and buffing. for everyone out there who s gonna flat sand their own paint....i ve been paintin a long while and i ve flat sanded and buffed many, but..i learned a new lesson this time. some use rubber blocks, or dura blocks to flat sand, myself included. they knock most of the peel out, but if you ve never tried it.....try using a paint stick for a block. its night and day different in the flatness. and its actually easier to sand(in my opinion). i started out with the rubber blocks and wasn t happy, because i ve seen smoother, so i knew it was attainable. i ended up rapping a 6 in. wood paint stick with a piece of 1000 grit. and went to town with a spray bottle and soapy water. once i got it flat and smooth, i went back over it with a paint stick and 2000 grit. next, i used synthetic cutting compound and a wool pad at low(1000) rpm. after it was all pretty well shined up and scratch free, i went to a yellow foam compound pad and used the same cutting compound, last, i washed it down, and went after it with a grey waffle foam pad and grey 3m glaze. it still needs polished with a softer pad, but it looks awesome. super flat and smooth. i figured i d share this with those who haven t tried it because it worked really well. night and day difference in flat, smooth paint between a rubber block vs. a plain ole paint stick.

Nice work. Very helpful tips. How do you manage the corners and contours, like drip rail, around windows etc?

very carefully. i couldn t do it without a ton of clear on it. i d sand right thru. i put 4 coats of clear on it.

Looks awesome! I just painted mine last month and started the color sanding process. I'm also using rubber block going down to 1500 paper. It is my first paint job, but it is turning out great. The amount of time required is more than I figured, but will be worth it.

Your car is going to look badass with that black.....but a pain to keep clean.

heard that. i m not excited about keeping it clean and scratch free with the flat black stripes going on it.. but its gonna be worth it. my favorite color combo for sure.

Very inspiring to look at the excellent work and progress you have made. That is going to be a beautiful car. I just picked up a 71 Demon and hope it turns out 1/2 as good as yours. Thanks for sharing your progress !!!!!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 620
-
Back