72 duster Build progress

-
Ya gotta think though, if you sell this one and get another project, it could cost you more in the long run. Unless you buy something in pretty decent shape then work on it from there. Anyway, I think it'd be a horrible shame to have to sell it so soon, but I completely understand wanting to make a better life for your family, and if this is the only way to do it, then so be it. It really isn't the destination, but the journey there that is important, and you've done that. Instilled some skills and values (hard work for a payoff) into your son, that's the best thing about it!

Well guys..........

Today was a bitter sweet day.

The Duster has been sold!.

This doesn't have to be the end of the thread (still welcome all questions about the build and ill try and help those out with answers to what they are doing to their projects). But this is where the build of the Duster ends. Almost 4 years from the date I first brought the Duster home.

I was sad to see it go, had mixed emotions because it had been such a big part of my life. But in the end it was just a car and selling it will give me the ability to try and better my family.

I won't say what I sold it for..... But I did good on the sale.... Lets just say that.

The guy that bought it was a mopar guy aswell so I hope he takes care of it and enjoys it.

Before the guy took it I got some last pictures of my self and the family with the Duster and some pictures of my dad and I with it. And of course I got some fair well pictures of the duster too.

It wasn't easy to sell it like I mentioned..... But I found myself asking which could benefit my families future more . So I went with my better judgement and made the call.

Sorry if any of you are disappointed to see it go but I hope you all can understand the reasons I did what I did.

I learned a lot, I had fun, I know what to stay away from in the future lol. Had a lot of time I got to spend with my dad working on it, was in molar muscle magazine, got compliments on the duster from tv stars..... These are all things that even though the duster has gone.... Will forever be apart o me. And that's the important thing.

I may eventually get another car to tinker around with and when I do I'll be aure to let you guys know whatever it is I get.

I will still be sticking around fabo even though I don't have the duster anymore because I still like seeing what other people are working on and talking with friends etc...etc.... So don't think this means ill be ditching you guys lol

Anyhow I wanted to let you guys all know about that and say thank you to those of you who followed the build over the years.

Here's a couple of pictures from today that I had on my phone.

My Dad and I
null_zps6f01a290.jpg

Saying goodbye to the Duster
null_zps5a68d784.jpg

null_zpsea34a1bf.jpg

null_zpsa6b89d2e.jpg

null_zps0355786b.jpg

The fact that it sold so quickly is testament to your hard work. Congrats! The money will definitely help your family!!!!

Thanks, I definitely put alot of hard work in the car over the years.

I actually hadnt even really pushed the sale of it....a friend of the family had said that they wanted the car. And for about 3 or so weeks they kept saying that they wanted to buy it and everytime I tried to talk with them about the deal they kind of ducked the subject. And they never put any money down on the car for me to hold it so i finally decided to start accepting phone calls on it and the first person to come and look at it ended up being the new owner.

I am sad that its gone. but I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders and alot of stress and I feel like I now have more time I can spend with my kids and my wife instead of worrying about fixing a dang car lol.

lots of good memories with it that I wont forget. But it was for the best!.

Family always comes first... If selling the Duster was truly what you wanted to do, and if it was the necessary step to help better the family, then I say congrats on the sale... And I agree, the fact that it sold so quick is a testament to the awesome job you did on that car... I can only imagine how bittersweet the day was for ya.. And I'm glad the Duster will be cared for... Now I look forward to whatever project you take on once you have the family in the position you want,.. lol.

It must have hurt to see the Duster disappear down the road. You put a lot of blood and sweat into it and you did a fantastic job at documenting the restoration. I hope you find another car to apply your skills to.

:prayer:

Hahaha.... I might get something eventually but I'm taking care of more important things first.

Thanks guy,

Yeah it was not easy.

But the hardest part is getting use to it being gone.

I am so use to working on it.

And when I am at my parents where I stored the duster and I get ready to leave and see the garage empty I say to myself "better put the duster back in the garage before I call it a night" and then think "oh yeah..... I forgot" lol

hi, I have a question about your headlights that your installed on your car. what was all involved with upgrading them? any help would be much appreciated :)

All I did was removed the old headlights and put the new ones in their place. Direct swap.

A lot of guys will say the aftermarket headlights aren't good or will tell you to install relays in the wiring harness.

Which I did not do. Yes installing the relays will make for better lighting but honestly the direct swap I did the new headlights had the same quality light as my factory lights did. I just gained the upgraded appearance. If I were to have installed relays in the harness than the lights would have been even better yet.

Whatever you do.... Don't start a thread about it..... You are sure to get bitched out by member Dan lol (you guys know what I'm talking about lol).

yeah, I seen that about a week or so after he bought it from me that he reposted it for sale. Looks like he will ended up taking a loss on it. His wife must have told him it had to go or he broke something or something because it didnt take him long to put it up for sale lol.

a friend of mine was up in that area a few days after I had sold the Duster and he told me he seen the Duster thrashing down the road and he was positive it was my old duster.

so who knows lol

And to update those that follow my thread. I ended up picking up another ride about a month ago. call me a trader.....hate on whatever brands you want......I still love my mopars but have always liked mustangs also (had about 15 of them over the years). And this was too good of a deal to pass up and I got it for a steal and room for the family and fun to drive with v8 and stick, black leather,super clean and already had some goodies done to it. And still had enough left from the sale of the duster to take care of other things that needed done to get us on the path toward getting a house!.

no big plans for it, just going to drive it.

Here is just a sneak peek :burnout:

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 515
Congrats on the Stang.... I dont really hate on anything.. Im a car guy and to me they all have good and bads ya know.. In the end its all in whatever gets your pulse going.. Mopars just happen to be my favorites.. Sorry I have been quick with responses or messages lately.. Between my job, home, the fact that I joined a band again after almost 15 years, plus the garage gang.. my time is stretched in every direction.. lol.. Lets see the whole car by the way...

I only managed to get about half this thread read yesterday....then I cheated and skipped to the last page. I was crushed to see the agonizing decision you had to make. I agree though; family comes first. I don't think I would've had the stones to make that call when I was your age.....
Anyway, I will continue reading even though I already know the end. And, no...can't be a hater for you getting a 'stang. A car is a car. I know you'll do it up right. And please stick around even though it's not Mopar.
You are a very talented and driven individual and your thread was quite inspiring.

A PHORD!!! GET THE PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES!!!!!

Just kidding. I like Mustangs a lot. I'm a closet Ford fan. My grandfather restored them (and one Dodge) and I wear Ford t-shirts often. One of the most fun cars I've ever owned was a '91 GT 5-speed... woot! I wish I had that one back.

Getting a FUN new ride must take the sting out of the pain of letting the Duster go, I'm sure!

Thanks guys, glad to see not everyone pulls out the pitch forks when brand x is mentioned lol. Don't get me wrong.... Mopar will always hold a special spot!. No one made a car back then that had quite the same look and no one had quite the same sound and feel.

But from the late 70's to late 2000's mop at wasn't of much interest to me other than the pick ups. However I love the new challengers!!!.

The stang is fun and clean and does take a bit of that empty feeling away from no longer having the duster. Won't say what I paid for it but I got a REALLY good deal on it.... Ford or not I couldn't pass it up. And it still allowed me the ability to do things that needed done to get us on the path to a home ( it's been a headache so far but it's looking hopeful and we should be in a better spot to make it happen around next summer hopefully. Just need to keep working toward the goal).

And thanks for the props!. I really hope that the thread sticks around so people can get use of the tips and tricks I documented for years to come.

Ill gladly stick around and show the progress of the stang (or any ventures I decide to tackle) as long as you guys will have me lol. I don't have a duster any more but we still have the wife's jeep which is mopar so that counts right lol?.

Ill post pictures of the stang and what I've done to it later tonight probably so check back

Hahaha..... I don't discriminate on any particular brand. Each of them has probably had a vehicle that I have liked or owned at some point in time. And each has had their share of Vic lighter vehicles too (throw away cars).

Some model mustangs I hated the looks of. So I liked. Same with canaria and firebirds. Same with dusters and darts and what not.

Not to mention every person has different tastes. My passion with the hobby is cars in general. Not just a specific brand or model.

Ok guys, as I mentioned....I am going to post pics of the new ride.

These are pictures of what it looked like when I got it.

looked good from the get go.

like I said, no outrageous plans for it but for starters some cosmetic changes.

about 6 or 7 years ago I had a 72 mach 1 (started off with a cd player and swapped and traded until I got a vehicle and then swapped and traded vehicles until I got to this point). The car was original and clean and got lots of looks but the 351 c 2 barrel factory engine was gutless and it was like driving a space ship and I ended up cashing out and turning a profit.

(this car actually ended up on the mecum auto auctions tv show and getting sold into canada).

My goal with the current mustang is to take a more modern mustang and add a throw back flare that mimics my old mach 1.

I have only done a few things so far (only had it a month) but next spring I will likely do a few more things to complete the look I am after ( I plan on getting a honeycomb black out tail panel for it ....still toying with the idea of a satin black spoiler but not sure yet...still need to do some photoshopping for some ideas, probably eventually get a set of the factory 03/04 mach 1 wheels,debadge it....and whatever other odds and ends I decide on along the way. But this will give you an idea of where its at now.)

The most notable additions so far are the black out treatment to the hood , chin spoiler and side stripes so thats what I will show pictures of for now.

There you have it guys....I know....not as spectacular of upgrades as some of what I had did on the Duster but you asked for more pics...so I delivered haha

-
Back