72 duster Build progress

-
When I was younger I use to speed everywhere and went through a set of rear tires every 2 weeks if you catch my drift lol. But I grew out of that crap. I was just took back a little by it lol. She yelled at me to slow down and I thought "

really?. I'm doing 10 mph under the limit " hahaha.

I built a mustang a about 7 years back and had JUST got done painting it and , cop pulled me over and handed me a ticket for 3mph over the speed limit. Then says "by the way, nice car" and slapped my quarter panel and walked back to his car.

So I don't even risk the though of getting special privileges for drive a nice car after that lol

Well if you check out the latest pic in the buggy thread, you will see that I havent quite outgrown the 'wearing the tires' out phase yet LOL (and im a bit older than you) .. And I still enjoy glueing the pedal to the floor.. I just am way more careful and selective about where I do that these days..

As for that cop.. thats just wrong..

Well if you check out the latest pic in the buggy thread, you will see that I havent quite outgrown the 'wearing the tires' out phase yet LOL (and im a bit older than you) .. And I still enjoy glueing the pedal to the floor.. I just am way more careful and selective about where I do that these days..

As for that cop.. thats just wrong..

lol, I still like to cut them loose too. But I have learned to do it sparingly as rubber is to expensive and so are tickets lol. I was going to check the buggy thread this morning but forgot and have been working on the duster all day. Ill check it out here in a minute!

Automotive profiling LOL
LOL

quick update, today I blead my oil pressure gauge line off so I should be getting a more accurate reading.

messed with my fuel return line I installed. I installed some different block off restrictions trying to limit the amount of fuel going down the return line to try and stabelise the pressure at the carb.....still need to do some more brain storming on that because my pressure gauge readings are still bouncing all over the place :banghead:

And I finally pulled my tail lights out and put some sealer on the gaskets and installed them back in the car and mounted them in.

still have a decent little list of odds and ends that need done and some bugs that need worked out but im gaining a bit of ground anyhow.

Today I got a few odds and ends done, finally installed the seat belt clips on the headliner and installed the trim reails that go over them and connect the sail panels to the a-pillar panels.

finally tied my temp sender up under the dash and cleaned a few other things up that were hanging under the dash.

rehooked up all my wiper linkage after it all randomly came apart the other day due to a sprung clip.

cleaned a bunch of random crap out of the interior and vacuumed up a TON of dust out of the car and did a quick wipe down on everything.

looks alot better.

I still need to get in and clean it all really well though. But ill do that sometime in the next few days when I do the "big" clean on it when I clean off all the rubbing compound and wetsanding residue thats in all the nooks and crannies and in the door jamb and what not.

I still have an issue with my brake lights that I need to figure out. my brake light switch bracket keeps bending after I go for a drive and making my brake lights stay on. but I can bend it back and get under the dash and push the pedal and I dont see anything out of the norm and nothing that makes the bracket move. only thing I can think is maybe the brake light switch is hanging up every once and awhile maybe and pushing on the bracket....or maybe the brake light switch plunger bar is slightly bent and rotates in the switch during driving and catches a high spot and tweaks the bracket...not sure. but I think a new switch is like $5.00 (that is if I can find one locally) so its a cheap enough thing to try and see if it does the trick.

anyhow....just been plugging away on the little stuff trying to narrow down the to do list. nothing really spectacular worth updating but some updates none the less.

Here are a couple pictures after I cleaned things up a bit.

Your ride sure has come a long way brother. Seems like just yesterday you were telling me how much you enjoyed sanding the body....:D

Be well,
Pat

Your ride sure has come a long way brother. Seems like just yesterday you were telling me how much you enjoyed sanding the body....:D

Be well,
Pat

Hahahaha Pat, your a funny guy!.

I'm GLAD that the sanding phase is done and over with... That's for sure!

I posted a picture of the Duster on overhaulin's facebook and Chris Jacobs himself (the mopar head) took the time to personally comment on my photo and said "VERY COOL!!!"
I thought it was neat to get recognition from guys that are around and/or building top dollar cars on TV.

Just wanted to share it with you guys!

I posted a picture of the Duster on overhaulin's facebook and Chris Jacobs himself (the mopar head) took the time to personally comment on my photo and said "VERY COOL!!!"
I thought it was neat to get recognition from guys that are around and/or building top dollar cars on TV.

Just wanted to share it with you guys!

You and I are part of the 'Chris Jacobs' club now my friend.. I tweeted him a pic of the buggy after I got it done last year, and he personally commented back.. it is quite a good feeling... Trust me, you built a top notch car.. no doubt.. very cool

Thanks Bill,

Didn't you also get in touch with Courtney Hansen?. Seems like I remember you posting that you got a comment fro
Chris Jacobs and another of the overhauling crowd.

Was 93 and humid today so I didn't get a bunch done on the duster but did get some done.

I did a little buffing on both sides of the car to bring the shine closer to the recent buffing I did on the top of the car.

That and there wa a bunch of spots that in the sun you could see buff swirls and spots that got missed and it was bugging the crap out of me lol so I buffed it all into shape.

Then I wash the duster and dried it and detail sprayed it and dried it again . Chrome polished the bumpers. And I did a quick clean up on the front license plate that was originally on the car when I bought it (mopar performance). And put it on the duster until I get around to finding something else.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow probably and post them up of the duster all cleaned up.

Thanks Bill,

Didn't you also get in touch with Courtney Hansen?. Seems like I remember you posting that you got a comment fro
Chris Jacobs and another of the overhauling crowd.

I actually got replies from Chris, Courtney, and Chip Foose himself.. They're all in the buggy thread somewhere. I have tweeted Chip several times and have gotten responses from him more than once.. Very cool dude..

Can't wait to see pics of the Duster all polished up

Sorry for not posting many updates. Been busy with lots of other stuff lately.

I have been working on final touches on the duster though and detailing and cleaning everything up and what not. The Duster is done.....making sure I get all the buffing residue out of all the cracks and crevasses and little stuff so I can get it ready for the next car show.

I have got some news though.....that may come as a disappointment to alot of you who have followed the build.

I believe I will soon be putting the Duster up for sale!.

The wife and I have talked and we are really wanting to get our family into a better home and we have been working on improving credit and we decided that if I were to sell the Duster that a portion of the sale price could be used as a down payment on an opportunity to better our family.

I know I know....I have put alot of time,heart,soul,blood,sweat,tears and money into the Duster over the last 4 years. But sometimes you have got to do what you have got to do. I had thought about selling it a few times......but I told myself I need to atleast see the project through and not quit halfway through the job. I have gained alot of knowledge and experiences throughout the build. I have had once in a lifetime experiences from this build. I really hate to sell it.

But I am still going to put some final touches on the car, I am still going to take it to a couple car shows and get more time to enjoy it before I start pushing the sale of it.

I just wanted to update you guys on the situation. And even when the Duster is sold....I will be sticking around here on the forum because there are so many friends I have made and so much knowledge. And I WILL get another project of some sort ( probably nothing as labor/time and money intensive as what the duster was though LOL).

I am glad that I got the opportunity to build it though. I am glad it came out as nice as it is. Its a great looking,running,driving car that I am proud to say that my own 2 hands did almost everything on from start to finish.

If any one here would be interested in the Duster and would like to talk details feel free to PM me and we can talk.

Wow.. I am kind of at a loss for what to say here (and that almost never happens to me LOL) .. I can understand wanting to do something to better the family, and I totally understand when cars have to be sold due to dire straights, and financial hardship (the buggy is still very much in danger of being put on the block due to my wife still not working) .. But its kind of a shame.. sort of defeats the purpose of why you put all those years, all that blood sweat, tears, and money into the Duster in the first place though doesnt it? Please dont misunderstand what I am trying to say, as I do not mean to come across as a dork or anything.. I mean, if you had purpose built the Duster as a way to make money to put towards something else, that would've been a differant story... but in following this thread the whole way through, and getting to be your friend over the past couple years, thats not the vibe I got..

In the end, its your car, and your family, and you ultimately have to do whatever you think is best or right for your situation.. I am kinda hoping it doesnt go... Maybe driving it around some and going to shows, may change that... I believe with your kids being young that the Duster could be an activity for the whole family to enjoy (shows, cruises, etc) and lord knows the way the world is these days, a good enjoyable family distraction is a good thing lol (and heck, a good solo run, foot glued to the floor does wonders after a shitty work week... let me tell ya) lol... But if it does indeed go, I hope it goes to someone that will appreciate all you did to make that car the beauty queen she is...

And if you do sell her, I do indeed hope you stick around, check in, keep us up on your life and heck... maybe find another a-body and start another thread... (I would enjoy that lol) ...

ok... so I guess I wasnt totally speechless LMAO

When I sell it I aswell hope it goes to someone that can appreciate all the work I have done and that will take care of it.

I love the car and trust me it hasn't been an easy choice to make.....im very attached to the car and have alot invested (in more ways that just financially).

But our goal has been to get a house and we have been working towards it and selling the duster would make that goal much more achievable.

I want my kids to be able to go out and play in the yard, I want to be able to have a garage of my own I dont want to have to always be checking outside on our vehicles to make sure that none of the hoodlums around here are messing with them or anything. Right now the community we live in is to tight of quarters and more and more bad apples seem to be around.

Id gladly sell the Duster if it means giving my kids a little more freedom and a yard with room to play etc...etc...

like I said...its not an easy choice to make. but I think its the right choice to make.

And like I said.....its not like I cant find another car project to work on eventually ....that will also give my family and I an activity to do together.
except next time...like I mentioned.....I am not going to take on as large of a project. I dont have the patience to do all of that over again lol.

I know its hard for you to believe. but believe me....its even tougher for me to have to make the call. its not an easy choice. but when I put the Duster and my family side by side.....I choose my family. Not to mention I cant exactly sell my family LOL...so it looks like the Duster has to go LOL

Well... You could actually sell the family, however it's usually frowned upon, and somewhat illegal LMAO.. I understand what you're saying my friend, and I wish you luck with what is most likely your upcoming sale. May it help get you and your family to where you want to be....

as i mentioned before....I have decided that I will sell. I however have not tried pushing it for sale really. Still going to enjoy it a bit and still going to take it to the car show. If someone says they are interested in buying it than i am willing to talk. But I probably wont actually list it for sale for a little bit. Just saying that as of now i am open to the idea of selling it.

Anyhow. The other day I finally scraped off overspray (inside and out) of all the glass and cleaned the glass up real good, finally got around to wiping all the dust and dirt out of the engine bay and cleaning things up, finally cleaned the underside of the car up and undercoated it all so that it looks all nice and clean . Vacuumed the interior out and shined it all up, undercoated a section of the underside of the hood in the fan area to try and prevent the fan from whipping up any dirt or debris and chipping my paint up or worse putting little dings in that area of the hood, shined up the tires,got all the left over rubbing compound and wet sanding residue out of all the nooks and crannies.

it looks pretty dang good!

Also, I finally got around to spiffing up the front license plate that originally came on the car when I bought it. It was pretty banged up and scratched up so I hammered and dollied it all flat again and put the embossed edge back on it all the way around like it would have had when it was new and I then faded black paint in around the border of the plate and clear coated it. I just thought it would be neat to have that plate back on the car and pretty much one of the only things on the car that was there when I got the car in the beginning.

finally pulled out my wifes camera (takes nice pictures) and took a few pictures of the Duster and figured you guys would like to see them so here you go!

( photobucket down sizes the pictures so they arent as crisp and as brilliant of pictures as the way they look on my computer. but you guys can get the idea anyhow lol).

Took the Duster to its first car show today!!!

Just recently got back from the show....I didnt win anything but still had a really good time! And as predicted.....80% camaro and mustang show....or brand new cars. or bone stock jeeps and chevy trucks with rims. There were a few mopars but not many. 2 challengers (one plum crazy the other was yellow with white drop top. 4 road runners (2 of which were orange). 1 blue charger with white r/t stripe, straight axle GTX, 66 barracuda,a general lee.A really ragged out looking 66 dart i think it was. And that was about it. No dusters other than mine.

The way they do the judging there is dumb...when you register you get a voting card and thats how they determine who wins any type of trophies. so of course in a predominately camaro and mustang crowd .....the Mopars are the odd men out. no way I had a chance.

BUT from the people who were there to enjoy the show looking at cars. I got a TON of compliments!. lots of people wanting to shake my hand for the work I did to the car. lots of people telling me it looked better than new. lots of ladies loved it lol.

had a few issues with some snot nosed kids wanting to run their hands down the side of the car but my wife put a stop to that lol. some parents just don't teach their kids manners. a few hefty slobs swinging pop bottles as they walked and wearing watches and swinging their arms as they
"waddled" came to close for comfort and was pretty nerve racking at times.

but all and all things went really well. alot of people didnt believe it was the same car on my show board. couldnt believe it went from what it was to what it is.

I had one know it all guy walk up and try to start an argument about how the go wing spoiler was never used on dusters and after bickering for a few minutes I finally said " you know what pal....your right" LOL. then he told me about his road runner and I went and checked it out and it was pretty rough....who is he to criticize? lol. But now I see what you guys were talking about when you mentioned the things to expect to run into at a show.

I didnt win anything....but it didnt bother me a bit, I had alot of fun with the family and got alot of nice compliments on the car and talked quite a bit with a few people who were really interested in the work and some people just reminiscing.

I started the duster up for a guy that wanted to hear it and about 100 people on that block turned and stared and lots of hooting and hollering and "cool car" comments and stuff....was a neat feeling.

all in all it paid off pretty well. Had fun and got to spend some family time looking at cars and cruising.

Here are a few pictures ( a couple of some of the neater looking mopars I seen there and some pictures of my car).

This wasnt a spotless car or anything but it was pretty neat so I figured I would share.

Me doing some last minute polishing up

Talking with a random guy that was in love with the Duster

sitten pretty

My boy on the look out LOL

My little man had a blast hanging out at the car show

Love the pic with your son. Proof right there that if the duster goes, another project will be needed at some point. Lol. Car looks great out on the street my friend

Thanks bill, we had fun and my little man enjoyed it. Now he keeps bugging me to go to the races. And keeps insisting that I will need a pit crew and that every member of our entire family will play a roll in the pit crew LOL

Thanks bill, we had fun and my little man enjoyed it. Now he keeps bugging me to go to the races. And keeps insisting that I will need a pit crew and that every member of our entire family will play a roll in the pit crew LOL

yup.. its official.. the kid is hooked, dad, you either have to keep the Duster, or start planning the next one.. He'll only be young once, and anything that keeps kids interested in doing things with their parents/family, is def something to nurture and enjoy! lol.. Take the Duster to the track.. see how she does!

-
Back