72 duster Build progress

-
Didn't get as much done today as I wanted but I did get a chance to do some exuast work!. Cut my tail pipes down and got my tips all installed, still need to do some minor adjustments but they are basically done. Also got some new mood u joints to put in place on each end of the shaft since I exploded the rear joint. Also took the first video of the duster in awhile. She was running a little lean in the video ( ran out of gas right after I took the video lol).

I think tomorrow I might start on getting my spoiler ready for paint. We shall see though .

Stay tuned for more updates guys and let me know what you think!.

F70DF4DE-D773-454D-A5F7-15884240FB4C-17869-000009963FD35BC8.jpg

704C870E-897D-4CB9-9F61-2E0C55767549-17869-00000996430C56D1.jpg

4956B27B-743B-488C-95F4-D58EA4962766-17869-000009964F08C16F.jpg

Had one of my tail lights out in this pic because I still haven't finished tweaking/installing them
7D664F48-D652-4462-BADA-353D483BE086-17869-00000996561F0119.jpg

And of course, here is the video, click it and check it out!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzIndK7cUTQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]New Gibson tips on my 72 Plymouth duster - YouTube[/ame]

looks and sounds great! How far you've come... might be a trailer queen with the rate you went through your gas tank :p

i'll again suggest color in odd spots: this time im thinking the tank or leaf springs... hemi orange springs?

She was already low on gas lol. No trailer queens for me, iwant to enjoy the car.

Drums and calipers are already hemi orange. Was going for subtle accents but I think springs and tank would be to much so I'm going to keep them black. But thanks for the suggestion!

Damn dude.. that car sounds awesome!! Love the tips... awesome...
Thanks bill, the tips actually changed the tone a good bit ( for the better). I'm pleased with how it sounds and looks. ( routing the exhaust was a bit of a pain Being that the previous owner did the spring relocation, I had to route the exhaust on the tire side of the springs). Which is another reason I chose these tips because the offset inlet brought the tips back closer to center si it looks like they exit in about the factory location.

Thanks for posting that vid i enjoyed that :prayer:

Thanks!. I'll try to get some other cool videos. Before the weather gets colder!.

well, I thought my carb was a little out of tune so today I finally decided to take a break from the paint and body I should be doing and mess around with it. I couldnt tell if my rear float sight was full or empty but it wasnt where it should be anyhow lol. so I adjusted that it and tweaked the mixture screws a bit and a set the idle and tweaked the distributor a bit and now she runs a bit better and not so much un burned fuel coming out the tail pipes like before.

Also started getting the spoiler ready for paint, got it sanded down ,primed and spot putty laid down. Now I have to sand it some more,prime it again and then it will be ready to spray.

I have to do the scoops to but they will be a little quicker to prep. I should have all the painting done in the next few days. at least that is the plan. stay tuned because ill be posting pictures of the progress!

( just like someone mentioning a painted gas cap would look better... I took the advise and am glad I did, it looks good I think.).
you're welcome.

:D

seriously though, your car is going to be one of the nicest on the forum* and every day it's getting closer to perfect.

* not that it isn't already, I just mean when it's finished (or as close to finished as it will be- of course some of us are never finished)

bit of a set back.....yesterday i got the spoiler and a few other parts all sanded down. prepped them. sprayed them and i wasnt happy with how the paint came out. Had lots of solvent pop in it....the paints been sitting around for awhile to....it was left overs from some other parts I painted on the duster awhile back. So Its possible the shelf life of it went out the window.

So today I went and picked up a few more supplies and some more paint. Now I have to sand what i already painted back down and do it again.

I hate doing things more than once......seems like thats happened alot of this build. the issues I ran into in the body work/primer face where I had to do a bunch of work over. changing out carburetors multiple times, pulling my interior out and installing it multiple times,now this....aswell as some other stuff I am sure.

oh well I guess. Ill get it taken care of, but I still don't enjoy doing jobs more than once lol. I like doing it once and getting it right the first time.

ANYWAYS......a side from that little set back, I should be back on track with it tomorrow. So stay tuned......pictures to follow shortly

I hate doing things more than once......seems like thats happened alot of this build. the issues I ran into in the body work/primer face where I had to do a bunch of work over. changing out carburetors multiple times, pulling my interior out and installing it multiple times,now this....aswell as some other stuff I am sure.
mmm.. (stupid side story time) So i popped my up ball joints out with a puller, they were threaded in, had to have them welded back in. I managed to have them welded in upside down.

Sometimes we need to do things twice to learn how it should be done.
Just make sure to get it done right the first time, on your second try...

your ****'s so beautiful, all the extra work is sure paying off. I bet the EPA will even declare that you exhaust is making the environment look better.

mmm.. (stupid side story time) So i popped my up ball joints out with a puller, they were threaded in, had to have them welded back in. I managed to have them welded in upside down.

Sometimes we need to do things twice to learn how it should be done.
Just make sure to get it done right the first time, on your second try...

your ****'s so beautiful, all the extra work is sure paying off. I bet the EPA will even declare that you exhaust is making the environment look better.

HAHAHA , Thanks!

alot of the issues I have ran into were not a fault of mine...but a fault in the items I was working on or a fault in the products i was using. all in all, even the issues that were technically not my fault.....I still gained knowledge on what companies products i prefer and what ones I will stay away from.

there were a few things through out the build that I am sure I was the fault in....but once you screw something up you learn not to make the same mistake twice. I tend to do little things like that from time to time .....for example, I sometimes will take something apart....fix whatever needs fixed, get it all put back together,put away my tools and clean my hands up thinking the job is done. Then as I am clearing the bench off notice one small part that was hiding out of sight during assembly and was left out which would then require me to completely disassemble to install that one little piece. luckily nothing like that has ever happened on anything critical i was working on....just dumb little things every once and awhile. Times like those are bummers and you just got to tell yourself "your such an idiot" lol.

well guys, sorry I havent posted in a couple of days. been real busy with other things aswell as trying to get work done on the duster.

after the first mishap with the spoiler paint....I figured it might have been because the paint was sitting around for awhile. so i went and bought a new quart of the stuff. got the spoiler all prepped. sprayed it. for the first 30 seconds or so it was looking good......and then........it started doing the same thing as last time. looks like solivent popping all over. so I tried mixing it at a different ratio than it said to so I could avoid having so much reducer in the paint and eliminate the popping. all that did was make it spray less than desirable from my gun and was screwing with the dry times and screwing with the satin sheen i was going for. so after 3 days of it sitting in the garage it still had not cured up enough to sand. today I said screw it and razor bladed the spoiler back down to scratch. this time im not even going to use that same crap again....don't have time or patience to trial and error it and see if i can make it work this time by using different types of reducers and what not. so I am just going to reprep it and spray it with a different paint and be done with it.

on top of that.....we went from 80 degree weather....down to 56 or so degrees today and it looks like its going to be in the 60's atleast all week....so it looks like the cooler fall weather is coming in. I hate working in the cold. I am going to get the paint finished up and get as much other stuff finished up on the car that I can so I am not forced to work in the cold weather. The car is very close to being done. most of it is down to tinkering with odds and ends. so I should be able to get as much done as i can, park it for the winter and be able to get it out in the spring and get a whole driving season out of it.

restorations are kind of depressing.....knowing that I have devoted so much over the last 3 years to working on this car....and I still dont get to enjoy driving it. and then there are days where I have thought about selling it or trading it for something else because I am sure in my eyes it will never be "done" and I will always see something that I can do better or improve upon and I don't want to be a slave to this project forever lol. so I am hoping i can bring it to a point I am satisfied with calling it finished and just be able to focus on enjoying it.

Since you went out and actually got new paint, could there be something else going on with the spoiler? Its just happening to it right? That seems so odd. At any rate, the Duster is turning out awesome!! You should be beyond proud my friend. And I understand your frustrations with how long it takes, or the feeling that your never going to get to enjoy the car... however the time will come when you will. And when that time comes your gonna have one of the sweetest Dusters around to enjoy. I think one thing that works against you is being such a perfectionist... Wanting things to be as good as you can get them, and have things be right is admirable... nothing wrong with that at all... but just be careful not to let it control the build so much as to start destroying any of the joy that goes with it... In the end its still just a car (thats what I started telling myself about the buggy) Selling it or trading it would solve nothing.. trading it will just land you in another project, and you will do the same thing LOL .. just keep plugging away and get her done.. by the time spring rolls around there wont be anything left and you will be cruising with your family... and hell raising when you take her out solo... lol.. chin up my friend

nope, nothing to do with the spoiler itself causing troubles or with of my equipment or anything. No water in my tank,surface was prepped good.
I think it was just something to do with the specific paint I was using. so Ill just switch to something i know works good. I am just waiting for it to warm up a few degrees so that I have good painting weather...which will probably be tomorrow or friday, after that it looks like it goes into the 50's and rain.

and yeah....I know I tend to have certain expectations with how I want my work to come out.....and if I didnt have such high standards I could have been done with the car long ago......then again, if i didnt give a crap about how well of a job I did.....I would have saved money on buying new panels and just filled the car with bondo lol. Its a love hate relationship......I hate to put all the extra effort and time in to getting everything to look that much better....BUT ....I love the outcome and it does indeed make me proud seeing it.

its hard seeing just what i have accomplished when I am in the moment and finishing up individual areas of the project....but when i stand back and look at where i started and where it is now. Then I say to myself ...."wow, I cant believe i had the balls to do all of that" HAHAHA.

Thanks Bill.....I know I am close to the end of the project so I am not to beat up over the little crap that bugs me.

Your welcome my friend... just trying to make sure you see the positive LOL .. thats what friends are for

well, today I worked on getting everything repainted because today and tomorrow were the best looking days in the forecast ...otherwise its in the 50's and rain.

Today i got everything sanded and prepped and primed. tomorrow i am going to try and get it all sanded and spray the black and THEN I should be done with all the painting except for what I have planned for the grill.

also I figured I would toss in a couple pictures of the parts the first time around on body work and painting.....and pictures of where the parts stand as of now.

Here is when I was spot puttying and nicks and scatches and low spots in the scoops ( I did the spoiler to but forgot to take pictures.

9B17EDE2-58A5-4687-AEA7-E2EFA9F7B3F3-9138-000003A14BD741A5_zps083818ae.jpg

during prepping the spoiler
8B087AAC-E502-483B-A2A5-D1BAB73F380F-9138-000003A1492752C7_zpsc8640480.jpg

Just after i sprayed the spoiler.......looks good here. but shortly after i took the pictures is when all the issues I had with a paint reaction took place and made it look like crap lol. Luckily I hadnt sprayed the scoops yet or i would have had alot more stripping work to do.

3B511FAC-9A85-4551-A475-415F0E14660C-9138-000003A145FBC41B_zps8fc5fe62.jpg

DF4DF7EC-D0A0-4CC1-8A4D-AB624C5FF2CD-9138-000003A14132F636_zpsdcfe9093.jpg

And here are pictures from today after stripping everything back down, sanding again and 2k priming again.

F34F3E99-47DC-43DA-BB1B-518010AA2131-9138-000003A13BD3E4CA_zpsa446da54.jpg

AA255874-BCCB-428D-BFD3-439BBB073E74-9138-000003A139691F32_zps93cd478f.jpg

45434137-53CD-4E06-B8E0-B07DD838379B-9138-000003A136B9D075_zpsfa8bb54e.jpg

8D318FA6-F794-4550-BDBB-AA0543541B61-9138-000003A1341BC7A6_zps3fa62cb3.jpg

8C1F5D77-6F44-4BAE-AE5A-122C41665BDC-9138-000003A1316A0522_zpsf398e7e1.jpg

27B26122-0C04-41A6-86FC-389CB1EA9768-9138-000003A12DBAF941_zps3751a323.jpg

should have more pics for you guys tomorrow after I do some more sanding and painting. so stay tuned!.

So are you going with gloss Black for the spoiler and Scoops or Satin? Everything look great just wondering, didn't think I ever seen them gloss before.....Hmmmm I never seen them Painted Plum Crazy either. LOL Looks Great Jerrod

Hey Jerrod, so you apparently missed all that sanding you enjoyed earlier in your build and felt the need to do a bit more eh? :D

The car's looking great man,
Pat

-
Back