72 Scamp and 440

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
I have the oppertunity to purchase a 1972 Scamp with /6 for 350 Bucks pretty solid car and complete. I also came across a 74 New Yorker 440 complete with 727 trans for $250. Ive read some of the post on here and know that its not easy but it can be done. Heres my question. I the money im saving on the car and motor and tranny going to be worth the savings. My other question is i have a Ford 9 inch rear with disc brakes and posi ive seen these similar cars with this rear besides a little DNC will it fit?

Congrats On Both Finds--and For 600 Bucs- Whar A Steal In Todays World--a Bblk A-body Is Not Hard-- Just Do All Ur Homework-research And Decide How U Want To Do It--how Ur Going To Drive It And How U Want It To Perform, Make A Game Plan And Do It--will Take Lots Of Time And Money [what Doesnt With Cars] Been Working On Mine[ 71 Dart-440 ] For 3.5 Yrs, There Are Lots Of Info Here And Bigblk Dart.com---and Many Others On Bigblk A-bodies, They Are Kick *** Cars And Not Everyone Has One Or Would Build One But When U Do And Have They Are Very Rewarding, Dont Worry About Asking Questions Thats How You Learn, The More You Know And Research The Better The Results Will Be---you Will Find Everyone Here Will Try To Help You Out All You Got To Do Is Ask---good Luck

Well im not looking for numbers. Id like a good pro street type car. Something with 500+ H.P. Its a /6 car so im not looking to go original with it. Ive always liked the look of tubbed cars so thats in the works. No blowers or nitro just naturally asperated. So far what ive seen on here the headers are the biggest problem with the swap. So if the 9inch rear is a bad idea do I have to get a 8 3/4 specific for A-body? Also how close to the specs is a Scamp to a Dart? Are they pretty much the same?

Also im going to pick up the car this weekend. The guy told me theres a 73 duster next to it if I wanted it or I could have any parts off it I needed. I only have 1 trailer and its a 7hr drive. So can you think of any peices i might want to grab off that duster that would help with conversion. Or peices I might be be able to make some cash on to fund my project.

Also im going to pick up the car this weekend. The guy told me theres a 73 duster next to it if I wanted it or I could have any parts off it I needed. I only have 1 trailer and its a 7hr drive. So can you think of any peices i might want to grab off that duster that would help with conversion. Or peices I might be be able to make some cash on to fund my project.

Grab the wiring harnes and the electronic ignition. If your going to go for big HP, you won't need it anyways, but your new yorker will have electronic ignition, and you can do a quick swap with the parts from the 73 duster.

The build is easy, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
just ask question. I think it is just as easy as a /6 small block swap. it does have some added expenses though. It sounds like you are going to be doing alot of work to the car, so shop around for the big ticket items if you have time.

Phil

Congrats on your project! I just picked up a 74 Dart for $3K and am planning an RB swap too. My experience with the rearend sawp is that an 8-3/4 or Dana 60 takes less hp to turn than a 9-inch, are cheaper to buy/build and are very durable if you put the right parts in them.

Good luck!

Ive never seen the parts Duster the guy has. But what are the chances it might have Disc Brakes. Also since this is the first mopar ive ever owned how might I tell what rear end the Duster has chances that it could be that 8 3/4. Please post any other items I might want to snag off the Duster. mopars are new to me but I couldnt see my self building a Nova or a Chevelle.

the cover 71/4,8 1/4 both have bolt on covers on the rear.8 3/4,the chunk bolts in from the front.Rallys bbp any wheels you might need,rad?I,d look over the Duster also to see what shape it,s in.

Ive never seen the parts Duster the guy has. But what are the chances it might have Disc Brakes. Also since this is the first mopar ive ever owned how might I tell what rear end the Duster has chances that it could be that 8 3/4. Please post any other items I might want to snag off the Duster. mopars are new to me but I couldnt see my self building a Nova or a Chevelle.

Check the link for rear I.D. http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/6.html

Terry

Thanks for that post Demon thats pretty elaborate thanks. Still wanting to know the difference between a Dart and Scamp besides the name.

basically the same car. Even with a simple google image search the dart swingers and the plymouth scamp's are identical. I want to say almost every part is interchangeable so someone correct me if i am wrong. Glad to see that your picking up a scamp as i have one to. But best of luck. If i were you i would research my k frame options. My scamp has a /6 in it and i did not want to use the schumaker conversion kits. Instead i picked up a v8 k frame with the lower control arms for 100 bucks! But best of luck and just make sure you do your homework before you make major purchases.

Check out Big Block Dart.com and tsmmfg.com
Lots of tech articles on BBD and TSM has some decent kits for putting Disks on your 8-3/4".

Looking at rearends ive already come to the conclusion that its easier to get a 8 3/4. Ive been eyeing this 8 3/4 MOPAR/DODGE rearend. It is the 742 case and is a 2.76 open now this can be rebuilt into a posi with they type of gears i want. And will It work in any 8 3/4 housing. Its a ad for the center section only.

2070742 here are the numbers off it. It dosent say weather its a posi or not maybe someone is good with the numbers and knows. Heres the date code 8N12

hey just thought id say as a scamp owner, they are NOT the same as a dart completely. the front end of the swinger is completely different,different bumpers, grille, lower valence and filler panel. the rears are the same though.

hey just thought id say as a scamp owner, they are NOT the same as a dart completely. the front end of the swinger is completely different,different bumpers, grille, lower valence and filler panel. the rears are the same though.

Yup, The only thing different is the front clip. everything else is the same.

the best way to describe it is that the scamp is a dart with a duster front clip.

everything else mechanically, and cosmetically is the same. interior too.

Well after the first attempt to go pick it up. The plan foiled. My wifes aunt died 2 days before we were suppose to go.

But today is the day. Got the truck and trailer ready and leaving as soon as my wife gets here crap together. Im so excited my first A body finally in my driveway. I will post pics. When I get home sunday.

Enjoy it when you get it. I really like Scamps.

70.JPG

Welcome to For A-bodies only!Now that you have one!Sounds like you have your work cut out for ya!I just finish doing a complete overhaul on my 66 Dart,from 6cyl. with 13 wheels and drum brakes to 360/904,disc brakes and 8 3/4 3.91,s Moser axels 14 inch rallys up front 15,s on the back.Also 2 1/2 inch exhaust.Good Luck!

DSC_0435.jpg

trim 088.jpg

re and re of 66 Dart 004.jpg

Yes I got my work cut out for me. The pictures dont do the car justice. There is alot of stuff on the body that is either dirt or crap on it. Tomorrow is clean up day. It will get a was and seat and carpet out. The floor boards are bad and need patched. I need to see how bad.

-
Back