727 transmission fluid question

-

nlpro

Reaction score
Hello everyone I am new to the forum and I am happy to join this active A body community. Unfortunately my first quest is not about my Duster But my 77 truck so forgive me:).Sorry if this has been asked to many times before.

So here is my question i am having my 727 for my truck rebuilt with heavy duty components and a shift kit and the transmission re-builder is recommending I use Amsoil or royal purple full synthetic at 14 bucks a quart from his shop. Are these really necessary for a quality rebuild or can i used something else I am installing the trans myself ? My dad used to use type F but it is nearly impossible to find in my area. I can get generic Dexron III/Mercon for about 4 bucks a quart generic atf +4 for around 6 a quart generic multi vehicle atf for around 4.50 Valvoline DEX-VI for 8 bucks a quart. I am in a very rural area so theirs only 2 places to buy atf :banghead: i can order fluid online but shipping is expensive. I am getting new torque converter transmission cooler and radiator as well just looking for long term reliability
The truck is a 4x4 crew cab with a 440 and weighs in at around 5500 pounds I am unsure if i need a more expensive fluid because of the the weight of the vehicle I am young and still learning about all this stuff.

Thanks

I use # 303 hydraulic fluid in the 727 that is in my bracket car. Gives very solid shifts.
I had the tranny torn down recently after 2 years at the track and it didn't need any new friction materials. Only problem is the fluid is clear so it's kind of hard to see on the dipstick. Some folks mix a quart of regular fluid in with it just for the color.
Oh yeah, I think I paid something like $35 for a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff.

Put whatever he says in it .If you have problems with the trans he cant blame it on using cheaper fluid

what's his warranty? if you use your own oil, and you are installing yourself. Ask him why you can't use Dex3. To me there's no reason/config that requires $14@quart oil.

Good ole Dex3 works just fine on all of the performance clutches, whether, Borg, Raybestos or Alto.

Been using it for many many years on Diesel applications with more power, way more weight and never an issue.

The warranty is 3 year 50000 mile. I called and talked to the owner and he apoligized for some of his guys getting over eager to push the expensive stuff they sell in shop and ask the name of who told me I needed to buy one of those for a 727. He said he would honor the warranty as long I don't try to run heavy gear of or deer blood in the transmission lol.
He actually told me he likes to run Valvoline max life Dex/Merc synthetic because to flows well in low temperatures we get in winter and is cheaper than the others.

I would suggest using transmission fluid recommended by Chrysler these days which is compatible with all old 904 and 727 transmissions. Chrysler automatic transmission fluids: 7176, ATF+3, ATF+4

Use castrol dexIII/mercon. It was recommended to me buy a well respected mopar trans guy in my area. The extra money is better spent on a cooler and a external filter.

I use john deer high guard in my transmission. Been there for two seasons behind a 400+ hp 360. Mainly used it because I had a whole bunch of it already lol

Thanks for all the advice it is appreciated. Another question what stall speed torque converter should i be looking for. I only tow something rarely and i do not do any heavy mudding or anything like that the truck has an rv style cam 4.10 gears.

I use Valvoline type F and a quart of 5w30 oil in my 727's.

Thanks for all the advice it is appreciated. Another question what stall speed torque converter should i be looking for. I only tow something rarely and i do not do any heavy mudding or anything like that the truck has an rv style cam 4.10 gears.

If the 440 runs strong you shouldn't need a very high stall in it. Nothing more than a 2000-2200 at max. Use a good converter too. No TCI or B&M off the shelf junk. Hughes makes good quality converters and are reasonably priced at Summit

For general use (not drag racing), and occasional towing, I would use something in the 1800 rpm range max.... the torque of the engine setup will make a low stall convertor work, and much higher and you will be spinning more RPM's as you move out for no good reason. The 4.10 will do a lot for any towing. My '07 Ram Crew Cab with CTD stalls in the upper teens range, and I tow with it a fair amount.

I also vote for the Castrol Mercon/Dexron III. The 'deer blood' idea is a new one LOL

-
Back