73' B3 340 Duster pro touring build

-
I stole this idea from HemiDenny so I can't claim this one as my own, just borrowed it

I'm borro.... learning, yeah that's it, learning from BOTH of you guys. :D

Why did you go with the B body headers? Whats different with them compared to the A body headers?

So I TIG welded the factory brackets on the New steering column today and mocked up a 3/4" shaft (sorry didn't but the U joint yet) so you can see that I gained plenty of room in the engine compartment, no more clearance issues here.....now I have to cut a smaller hole and re center it around the 3/4" shaft(sorry about the duct tape). Thanks Denny for the tip, I hope I did it right.
Also bonded the 2 cowl halves together so I can get the stamped 3-D look. A little clean up and it will be time to weld this one in for good, this will be the second one I've installed and hopefully the last.

Attachments

• duster 004.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,162
  • duster 015.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,147
  • duster 014.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,130
  • duster 013.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,126
  • duster 011.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,132
  • duster 009.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,141
  • duster 008.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,155
  • duster 006.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,141
  • duster 005.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,129
mooocho better!!

just small potatoes...or as we said in WV....taters

love the new cowl.

why the b/e body headers? just like making stuff tuffer, or is there a real good reason? better ground clearance?

So I TIG welded the factory brackets on the New steering column today and mocked up a 3/4" shaft (sorry didn't but the U joint yet) so you can see that I gained plenty of room in the engine compartment, no more clearance issues here.....now I have to cut a smaller hole and re center it around the 3/4" shaft(sorry about the duct tape). Thanks Denny for the tip, I hope I did it right.
Also bonded the 2 cowl halves together so I can get the stamped 3-D look. A little clean up and it will be time to weld this one in for good, this will be the second one I've installed and hopefully the last.

Now your after it. :thumblef:

love the new cowl.

why the b/e body headers? just like making stuff tuffer, or is there a real good reason? better ground clearance?

There's a good reason, mainly the design...sure it will take some modifications to other area's of the car but why make anything easy.

Yeah, That's the ticket. Another fine job. Really looks sharp. the cowl looks real good too. Looking forward to paint. I know, I know, sit back and relax. The ride aint over yet.:coffee2:

So last night after l mocking up the steering column I decided to have just 1 Rum (which turned into 2) and started lookin' at something that's been bugging me for a while the front of the fender....I know that's a real anal modification, but I couldn't help it.. I saw a similar mod on a brand X car on Lateral G and just had to do it. After making a template last night, I cut a couple steel parts out today at lunch and installed one real quick tonight to see the look....hope everyone enjoys the change, and by the way the small 1/8" hole will be opened up and will still use the stock adjuster location and fender insert also I guess I'll have to radius the inner fender to give the 2" dimpled hole some depth and not just fit flat on the inner fender......... more small taters.

Just for fun the last shot is for you THUNDER (notice the "T" in the grit), just to show the grit. It was on the floor too but didn't show up so the fender will have to do.

Attachments

• duster 017.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,093
  • duster 020.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,082
  • duster 019.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,067
  • duster 016.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,062
  • duster 014.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1,096
  • duster 007.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,074
  • duster 006.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,082
  • duster 001.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,067
looking good...... i'm guessing you finished the other mod, It looks like you did. :thumblef:

looking good...... i'm guessing you finished the other mod, It looks like you did. :thumblef:

Now why did you have to go and do that?

MIB.jpg

Don't know why you would think that mod was anal? Cleans that area up nicely. As they use to say,"That's stylein' man". Looks good. Thanks for the "T". I was starting to wonder about your sanity.Great job!:coffee2:

So I decided to try out another Idea today ...this is just a test so far. I always wanted to some how incorporate my Air Force background and pride into the car so I decided to change the rear package tray, I would love to have it painted body color (whatever that may be) so I decided to add my Air Force wings into it with a couple 3" dimple die holes....I also made my front fender plate holes. Boring stuff on the holes but a needed addition.

Attachments

• duster 017.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,017
  • duster 015.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 1,011
  • duster 013.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 995
  • duster 012.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,004
  • duster 018.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 1,035
  • duster 011.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 1,013
those pieces look famiiar....like something I saw inside a U.S. Air Force plane at Wright-Patt some years ago

So I decided to try out another Idea today ...this is just a test so far. I always wanted to some how incorporate my Air Force background and pride into the car so I decided to change the rear package tray, I would love to have it painted body color (whatever that may be) so I decided to add my Air Force wings into it with a couple 3" dimple die holes....I also made my front fender plate holes. Boring stuff on the holes but a needed addition.

you going to put a light box under there to light up the logo?

I would flip that bad boy around so that when it shines on the back window it would not be upside down, that is just my thought. either way it looks bad. just remember people are going to be leaning on the car to see it the right way. So to keep hand off you might want to flip it as well.

That is my .02 I like it and I wish i had the tools to do stuff like that, but right now with work taking over my life and ruining my social life i would like to just work on my car.

Keep up the great work. one last thing a NAVY emblem might look nicer, I am just saying. LOL

you going to put a light box under there to light up the logo?

Didn't plan on that, I just put the white paper under there to have the logo stand out for everybody's viewing . Actually lets just say the car will be Shiney Black I was planning in a satin black logo for more of a suttle look, I just dont want it to look like a vinyl graphic, might delete the 3" Dimple holes....

I would flip that bad boy around so that when it shines on the back window it would not be upside down, that is just my thought. either way it looks bad. just remember people are going to be leaning on the car to see it the right way. So to keep hand off you might want to flip it as well.

That is my .02 I like it and I wish i had the tools to do stuff like that, but right now with work taking over my life and ruining my social life i would like to just work on my car.

Keep up the great work. one last thing a NAVY emblem might look nicer, I am just saying. LOL

I actually designed it with the logo upside down to easier viewing from the back or side of the car, but it looked wierd running downhill with the slope of the panel..also thought about having 2 smaller ones angled toward the quarter panels and eliminating the dimple holes...like I said it was just a test for now...subject to change several times or go away all together.

If I were to incorporate a navy logo I would cut all 4 service's logo's into the panel across the back edge in a much smaller size as a overall tribute and recognition.

Didn't plan on that, I just put the white paper under there to have the logo stand out for everybody's viewing . Actually lets just say the car will be Shiney Black I was planning in a satin black logo for more of a suttle look, I just dont want it to look like a vinyl graphic, might delete the 3" Dimple holes....

That's very cool.

That looks sharp Ross. I agree with Mark on back lighting that bad boy. Maybe blue. There is nothing wrong with pride in service. Leave the holes, they fit. all 4 services? Great job!:coffee2:

Back lighting could be neat, but keep in mind glare off the back window for night driving. It would have to be dimmable or switched.

I like the subtle gloss black on matte idea.

That looks sharp Ross. I agree with Mark on back lighting that bad boy. Maybe blue. There is nothing wrong with pride in service. Leave the holes, they fit. all 4 services? Great job!:coffee2:

Darn it, I always forget about the Coast Guard.....Sorry
All 5 services !!!!!! but thats where I draw the line ...no ROTC or CAP (Civil Air Patrol) symbols

I can deal with that. Kick myself in the *** every now and then for not staying in. Could have retired at 37 with full benies. Such is life.:coffee2:

Back lighting could be neat, but keep in mind glare off the back window for night driving. It would have to be dimmable or switched.

I like the subtle gloss black on matte idea.

Ross could always get a hold of Andrew (blue missile) I'm sure he has an extra switch or 2!

-
Back