73' B3 340 Duster pro touring build

-
Here's the rest of the pics from the Duster visit...I did talk to Tom about adding a couple degrees of angle between the transition from the deck lid to the rear spoiler.

Attachments

• duster 033.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,086
  • duster 045.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,079
  • duster 039.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,074
  • duster 037.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,079
  • duster 036.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,075
  • duster 035.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,086
  • duster 034.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,095
For perspective with the now looking almost ready for paint body photos,
people need to go back to the start of this build and see all of the things
that were done at the outset (floors, tubs, frame connectors, suspension
etc).

For perspective with the now looking almost ready for paint body photos,
people need to go back to the start of this build and see all of the things
that were done at the outset (floors, tubs, frame connectors, suspension
etc).
Heck....I have to do that from time to time myself and I built the darn thing. It's more like a custom hot rod ... That just happens to be in a Duster body.

Since last weekend I made a 2nd template for the Radiator support cover which fits and looks better, I need to add a little here and there and remove a little there and here before I make it out of 16 gauge steel but it's real close to the final layout. The removable panel is for access to the radiator fill once it's installed in place. Tom (the Painter) wants me to add side panels that run back to the hood hinge area basically making it a big U shaped cover that's 1 piece ..so now I'm thinking that through but I like the idea so far.
I also made deeper hood pin inserts that now will double as hood adjusters with the custom hood pin lock nuts that are also 2" diameter like the inserts. If you notice the insert sticking thru the hood thats so the can be sanded perfectly to the hood skin.

Attachments

• duster 033.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 905
  • duster 031.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 942
  • duster 027.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 952
  • duster 024.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 930
  • duster 013.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,438
  • duster 011.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 958
  • duster 008.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 932
  • duster 007.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 950
  • duster 005.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 962
  • duster 003.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 961
Since last weekend I made a 2nd template for the Radiator support cover which fits and looks better, I need to add a little here and there and remove a little there and here before I make it out of 16 gauge steel but it's real close to the final layout. The removable panel is for access to the radiator fill once it's installed in place. Tom (the Painter) wants me to add side panels that run back to the hood hinge area basically making it a big U shaped cover that's 1 piece ..so now I'm thinking that through but I like the idea so far.
I also made deeper hood pin inserts that now will double as hood adjusters with the custom hood pin lock nuts that are also 2" diameter like the inserts. If you notice the insert sticking thru the hood thats so the can be sanded perfectly to the hood skin.

I think that looks great..... I can't wait to see the finished piece

I think that looks great..... I can't wait to see the finished piece

Thanks......I should look real close to what you see here just painted body color with the inset panels painted the accent color. The changes I haveto make wont really be noticable.

Wow Ross it is getting so close to being painted. I am sure your excitement level is building. I really like the radiator support on top, not a big fan of the side pieces going into the engine compartment, but I am sure if you do it, it will look good.

Wow Ross it is getting so close to being painted. I am sure your excitement level is building. I really like the radiator support on top, not a big fan of the side pieces going into the engine compartment, but I am sure if you do it, it will look good.

The side pieces were going to be 2.5" and just going to cover the top lip were the bolts use to be and not really extend into the inner fender area.

Well due to a Government shutdow I have plenty of free time as of today...So I stopped by the Powder coater and picked up my Ceramic coated headers, nothing like adding some more shiny stuff to the motor. I think I'll have them coat my oil pan so everything sorta matches. I also worked on the 2" Valve Covers spacers to get them to fit a little better.

Attachments

• duster 025.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 2,066
....and I am looking for a ceramic coater....please forward their info to me

The side pieces were going to be 2.5" and just going to cover the top lip were the bolts use to be and not really extend into the inner fender area.

Scrapped the side extensions. Just going with the front end cover.
On a side note I'm trying to think of something Different for a stripe option other than the traditional Duster side stripe. I'm sure some of you smart computer photoshop guys(and Gals) have some good ideas and I'd love to see or hear about them since there going to be painted on.

Scrapped the side extensions. Just going with the front end cover.
On a side note I'm trying to think of something Different for a stripe option other than the traditional Duster side stripe. I'm sure some of you smart computer photoshop guys(and Gals) have some good ideas and I'd love to see or hear about them since there going to be painted on.

it would be awesome if you had the 340 stripe down the side but if it was inlayed into the body. say 1/8" or so. then it would be like a body line as well.

it would be awesome if you had the 340 stripe down the side but if it was inlayed into the body. say 1/8" or so. then it would be like a body line as well.

Thats a neat idea but were way beyond that part of the design phase. Remember the design will be painted on. I'm trying to think out of the box without going too extreme.

Ross would push it to the limit. He would not just inlay a stripe an 1/8", he would have 1/8" aluminum panels of the stripe bringing it back up to the same level again. Now that would be cool.

To my eye nothing beats the basic line of the factory 340 stripe. I have seen some mods to the line that look great. I'll look for them when I'm back at my home computer.

So I go to work on the Motor today and notice my dad hanging out in the driveway with a Goat, I asked "who's goat" ? He sald he doesn't know, it was just walking around the front yard.......Then I go in the Garage and notice a brand New Dodge Ram 1500 R/T, I guess I should visit a little more, funny what happens when you stay away for a week or so. Anyway, here's a couple pic's of the Valve covers in place and the turn signals installed in the grille. Enjoy the Pics and Thanks for looking.

What did yo use to pain the grill? I'm doing the same to mine. Thanks!

To my eye nothing beats the basic line of the factory 340 stripe. I have seen some mods to the line that look great. I'll look for them when I'm back at my home computer.

I have to agree and unless I come up with something else that's what I'll go with. I look at all the over the top builds on Lateral G and can't help think if they can think outside the box on the Chevy and Ford builds why can't I do it with a Mopar.

What did yo use to pain the grill? I'm doing the same to mine. Thanks!

I used Chrysler Slate plastic paint for the fins and Jet Black then used that Awesome Alsa Soft touch clear over everything....now it feels like velvet.

Ross would push it to the limit. He would not just inlay a stripe an 1/8", he would have 1/8" aluminum panels of the stripe bringing it back up to the same level again. Now that would be cool.

It's funny this came up because during the metal working phase I considered recessing a panel in the fenders with the word Duster cut in them...then thought if I use plexiglass behind that I could back light it for a cool look at night. Actually still considered doing that to the valve covers since I have the 2" spacers I'll have plenty of room at the top.

Some of these I could not obtain an image file, just a link. I imagine you've seen some of them.

Here's a Demon with a modified 340 stipe. I'd say its a successful example of using the stripe line without doing something that does not belong on a Demon.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/..._1009_1971_dodge_demon_modified/photo_10.html

This is a subtle mod to the 340 stripe with door handles in black.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/featuredvehicles/a_body/1971_plymouth_duster/photo_03.html

Very nice stripe mod on the green Duster.

Attachments

• green duster small.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 812
Man.... I have been gone for a good while. Come back and you have blazed way ahead of when I last seen!
I love the execution on the driving lights! Well done. I too did the same thing a good while ago( http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=20895&page=3 ), though I spaced them on either side of the license plate indention. I plan to put rings on the back side to contain the light, but I am really digging the "trim" rings on the front side that you have added! Very clean!
Top notch work man! Inspiring!

-
Back