73 dart 318 with resonator

-

Lasalle

Reaction score
My 1973 Dart with 318 has the quiet car package. Originally from the factory it had a resonator. I think the resonator and the tailpipe were one piece. Is that resonator available anyplace? I see a lot of them for earlier cars but not what I need. I think the outlet from the muffler is 1 7/8" diameter. I am not sure if the original muffler had the same diameter outlet. When the original one rusted out it was not replaced. I would like to restore that. The picture on top (figure 4) shows what I need.

Image (25).jpg

The only thing I am aware of is what Accurate offers for the Commando cars of the 60s. They're mighty proud if it too. I don't think that's the same as what you're looking for.

Thanks for your response. I knew they had that for the slant 6 but my car has 318. Just now I emailed them to ask the inlet and outlet diameter of the muffler and the resonator. Maybe this would work on my car.

Cool! Hope it works out for you. Thanks for posting here. I learned about a option i never heard of before. :thumbsup:

The "Deluxe Insulation Package" included undercoating, hood insulator pad, a "noise reduction package", and special sound insulation. I guess the resonator is part of the noise reduction package. I'm not sure but I think 1973 was the first year for this option.

Last edited:
My 75 duster 360 had the resonator. It rusted out also. It had a fibreglass packing. I just put a length of pipe in its place. Some guys actually put a bottle muffler in its place. Kim

Hello Everybody, I ordered the resonator, muffler, and tailpipe from Waldron's. I worked with them through emails and phone calls to come up with the right parts. It won't be ready until April or May.

Wow, I have never seen that before. The tip that is shown in your original posting looks like the tip used on 1970 340 Darts, which would make sense since 73s had the same shape of bumper/valance panel. Learn something new every day!

The custom resonator, tailpipe, and muffler I got from Waldron's worked out real well. They fit with out any trouble. The Dart is quieter than it was before. They have been on there a while now. The exhaust system setup is just like it was when it was new.

DSCN7292.JPG

Last edited:
Excellent. Glad u got it. My 75 is a 360 HP car with dual exhaust. Just the drivers side had the resonator from the factory. Kim

The custom resonator, tailpipe, and muffler I got from Waldron's worked out real well. They fit with out any trouble. The Dart is quieter than it was before. They have been on there a while now. The exhaust system setup is just like it was when it was new.

View attachment 1715987059

Nice, very nice. What is the outside diameter of that?

-
Back