74 Dart Wheel & Tire Combo

-

low_kota

Reaction score
I need someone to double check my wheel and tire combo before pacing an order. My car's in a million pieces, so I can't really take any useful measurements for the foreseeable future... Trying to collect as many parts as I can before it warms up.

For the wheels, i'm planning on cragar soft 8's 15x7 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern with 4.25" backspacing on all 4.
BFG radial T/A's 245/60/15 on the rear and 215/60/15 on the front.

I'll be running an 8.25 rear end with stock height springs and factory disc brakes in the front.

I am not sure of your time line- not being sarcastic...

But why are you buying wheels and tires now if the car is in a million pieces.
Wait unit you are closer and can verify the actual measurements on your car or if you need a business write off for the end of the year- buy a gift certificate.

There must be a dozen people who ask the same question on here with the same set up.
"Search" does wonders.

I am not sure of your time line- not being sarcastic...

But why are you buying wheels and tires now if the car is in a million pieces.
Wait unit you are closer and can verify the actual measurements on your car or if you need a business write off for the end of the year- buy a gift certificate.

There must be a dozen people who ask the same question on here with the same set up.
"Search" does wonders.
I have searched, that's how I came up with the combo listed above. I have not seen anyone ask the same question that I have, if you can point me to the thread with answers to my specific questions, I would greatly appreciate it!

dart2.jpg
dart1.jpg

Here's how my car sits now. I'm going from sbp to bbp and the next step in my plan is to put the front suspension back together so I can move the car around. I have all the suspensions parts and disc brake conversion kit. Also swapping out the 7.25 for and 8.25 rear end.

I need someone to double check my wheel and tire combo before pacing an order. My car's in a million pieces, so I can't really take any useful measurements for the foreseeable future... Trying to collect as many parts as I can before it warms up.

For the wheels, i'm planning on cragar soft 8's 15x7 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern with 4.25" backspacing on all 4.
BFG radial T/A's 245/60/15 on the rear and 215/60/15 on the front.

I'll be running an 8.25 rear end with stock height springs and factory disc brakes in the front.

I agree with the first post. I would wait until you get the rear axle in, before you buy rims and tires. From my experience, 245's on the back of a Dart, is when it starts getting close to the outer wheel well. I wouldn't go any wider on the tires. On the front with a 215, I would go to a 6" rim.

No reason to put a 215 on a 6” rim, it’ll fit on a 15x7 just fine and probably better. The tread width is 7.3” and the section is 8.7”, no need to squish it down to a 6” rim, the tread pattern will be better on the 7”.

In the front the 15x7’s with a 4.25” backspace are about as good as it gets for a 15”. The 215’s should fit easy, they’re only 25.2” tall which is a little on the short side but not horrible. 225/60/15’s should fit too and would be a little taller, they might require some adjustment of the lower fender to bumper brace to clear.

In the back a 245 is about the biggest tire you can fit on most Darts. Some will handle a 255 but everything has to be perfect and centered and even then sometimes the quarter lip needs trimming. With a BBP 8.25 a 15x7 with a 4.25” backspace and 245/60/15’s will probably need a spacer, it’ll probably be too tight to the springs without one. But the final verdict will be a measurement from your car. The 7.25 and 8.25 BBP rear axles are narrower than the A-body 8 3/4’s.

245/60/14 on stock rally wheels

Here is one that came up on the first page of search.

it’s a 73’ dart swinger with 8-1/4” rear.

All I did was search Dart tires and wheels.
I know you want 15” rims but it’s all there, you are not this first to ask this question.
I still stand on wait until your car has the suspension and you verify your size options.

245/60/14 on stock rally wheels

Here is one that came up on the first page of search.

it’s a 73’ dart swinger with 8-1/4” rear.

All I did was search Dart tires and wheels.
I know you want 15” rims but it’s all there, you are not this first to ask this question.
I still stand on wait until your car has the suspension and you verify your size options.

That example, along with most of the others in that thread, doesn’t mean a thing. Mounting a 245/60/15 on a 5.5” rim completely changes the tread and section widths, making the comparison irrelevant. The dimensions of the tire will be very different on the 7” wide rim that it’s supposed to be mounted on.

The only relevant example in that thread was toolmanmikes 255’s. But even his specs aren’t completely comparable because his car has an 8 3/4. The OP’s car will need less backspace because the 8.25 axle is narrower.

-
Back