74 dartsport build

-

pachink13

Reaction score
starting my build thread. any advice/tips/**** talking is welcome :)
And I'm not sure that this is where to post a thread like this. lol

so it all started with this car.

View attachment image-4020692719.jpg

It ran but it was being eatin up by rust. So I took the 318 motor and moved on.

Years later I grabbed some money, got the motor balanced and dressed up, and then another 74 dart sport with a blown motor.

View attachment image-3277095314.jpg

This is where I stand now. lately I've been getting this project rolling tho. Kinda tough only being 20 with tight finances, and mediocre knowledge..

more to come!

im just going to come right out and say that a black spray bombed engine bay on any A body that isnt black just looks hideous and belongs on a camaro. my thoughts are that this car would look so much better with a scrubbed clean and painted body color bay and a blue or orange motor. but , hey , its your car , enjoy it. you asked !

im just going to come right out and say that a black spray bombed engine bay on any A body that isnt black just looks hideous and belongs on a camaro. my thoughts are that this car would look so much better with a scrubbed clean and painted body color bay and a blue or orange motor. but , hey , its your car , enjoy it. you asked !

some things are better left unsaid even if asked ( just sayin)

keep up the good work your car will look great anyway you do it

Minor set back for an update.. I had to pay back taxes on the property. Set me back 2,200k.
But I'm still pushin on!

thanks guys! lol no no I'm gonna make sure it looks nice. if it turns out shitty, then I'll fix it. lol
I'll clean up the bay real nice, then maybe a flat black? idk yet, the black on the motor is wrinkle finish black.

Yeah, I wanted a fluorescent green. My favorite color.

Minor set back for an update.. I had to pay back taxes on the property. Set me back 2,200k.
But I'm still pushin on!

thanks guys! lol no no I'm gonna make sure it looks nice. if it turns out shitty, then I'll fix it. lol
I'll clean up the bay real nice, then maybe a flat black? idk yet, the black on the motor is wrinkle finish black.

Yeah, I wanted a fluorescent green. My favorite color.

im sure at some point you will be painting this car (hopefully not flourescent green lol) , i would decide now , and paint the engine bay body color while you have the engine out. all A body engine bays came body color. i wasnt bashing on you, just sayin that i have seen a lot of people painting them black and they always looked horrible because they just bust out a can and shoot everything in sight . but like i say, enjoy doing what youre doing no matter what you decide. :D

Looks like a solid start. Do you still have the white car? If so, What are your plans with it? PM me if you are going to part it out. Looking forward to progress.:coffee2:

some things are better left unsaid even if asked ( just sayin)

keep up the good work your car will look great anyway you do it
I disagree with this only because. The OP needs the chance to at least think it over and make an educated decision. He has the chance to do it right while the motor is out. Better than regretting it later. My motor hasn't come out yet and may not so I have to paint the engine bay Sublime with stuff in the way. :glasses7:

I disagree with this only because. The OP needs the chance to at least think it over and make an educated decision. He has the chance to do it right while the motor is out. Better than regretting it later. My motor hasn't come out yet and may not so I have to paint the engine bay Sublime with stuff in the way. :glasses7:

exactly my point, thank you for that, not to mention pachink13 asked for tips/advice/and sh*t talking was welcome, and that was my $0.02 worth of advice and tips and with no sh*t talking...LOL...now is the time to make that decision before the motor goes back in and i personally think keeping it body color is the way to go. it shows attention to detail and that it was thought out and not just blasted black to get some color on it. ok now we are up to $0.04 cents..lol

awesome dudes thanks again! So here's what I'm thinkin,

I wanna do the whole car black, engine bay and body. And maybe have some fluorescent green trim on the black interior, that way when I pop the hood, the unexpected "nuclear power plant" fluorescent green motor jumps out at them, lookin mean and green. lol. But I know black is a touchy color cause the body has to be perfect. And body work costs $$$$!!!! But! As you can see where I live, the dust, dirt, etc, will bring a black paint job to its knees..

So I'm thinkin since I'm gonna be dukes-of-hazarding it around town every time I get in it, (daily driver), I was thinkin maybe just do it all flat or primer black? Idk entirely what I'm talking about, but all I know is when I start peeling out everywhere, paved or dirt roads, I'm gonna be pissed if Im chipping up my nice paint job. So uh, idk, maybe keep it a sleeper, so when I do chip it up, I could just throw on a quick rattle can black? Not sure if thats ideal or not..

great attitude. if you are not going for the factory look and only going to hot rod this thing then do what you are doing. i have a charger that i went and hot rodded out doing a 70s feel with it and boy do i take a beating for it, but i dont care. jacked up , old school N50 15 meats on 15x10 centerlines and skinnies on the front, traction bars etc etc. big *** six pack scoop, i painted it blue with a single stage paint that is hard as a rock and is not perfect and im not scared to get out those dirt roads and tear it up. thats the upside of avoiding a high quality job. you can get out there and drive the **** without worrying if you are hurting it.

A good satin semi gloss with a good clear coat would be the way to go. Would still give you the "Flat" hot rod look, but give you better body protection. Primer absorbs and traps moister that starts rusting your panels long before you notice it.:coffee2:

Thanks for the help guys, I've injured myself and delayed the project a little..

But here's an update, started on cleaning up the engine bay, it's a pain.
Trying to take pics and remember where everything goes and things that were already missing/don't know what they are or what they go too. agh!
And got a "painless" harness, even though it's "painless",
View attachment image-163197300.jpg
it's gonna be a pain. Lol
But here's a few more pics to keep everyone updated and entertained.

View attachment image-1947134158.jpg

View attachment image-1350531922.jpg

My 10month rotty helpin me work.

View attachment image-173582906.jpg

Btw, we hacked the old exhaust out, and uh, appears someone failed. lol
Gnarly stuff.

View attachment image-114981090.jpg

Let me hear your thoughts!

quick update! Havent givin up! I'm just currently on tour, making bank to fund the project. Should have plenty of $$ to have it on the road, within August/September is my goal..

Got some questions for the wise and experienced:

1. what gear ratio would I use to light up my small town, frequent stoplight racing, but no probs on the freeway for weekend trips. I Will be using a limited slip posi without a doubt.

2. champion radiators? Are they good considering the cheap price? Also considering I live in 29 palms California, triple digit degree weather is common.

3. I'll be using a used 904 torque flight auto, with a high stall torque converter.. What rebuild and shift kits will I need, for it to handle the mild built 318, and high stall? I also want a strong "slap shift" when Im standing in it, also crossing up around corners. No delayed, sluggy shifting. But I still need it to be somewhat comfortable when just casually driving.

3.5. Good column to floor shift conversion?

4. I've heard that i can gain about 15 horses in the electric fan conversion? What all does the conversion consist of? And does it do a good job cooling, considering I'm in very hot weather? Is there any good conversion kits?

Here's my opinion on the electric fan. Run away as fast as you can! Most of the time when I see a posting about overheating, it has an electric fan. The stock setup was designed for this car. If you have problems,you may want to upgrade to a 7 blade stainless or the factory clutch style.

I think I might give in and grab some rocky mountain dash, idk. Im not a fan of the factory pretend wood grain on the dash already. lol

@ furyus- Thanks! Yeah, just tryin to get a little more outta my little 318. But as a daily driver I need reliability, not problems.. so I guess I'll just play it safe right?

Gears, depending on tire height.
3.23 to 3.55 should work nice.
The champion in my Duster actually runs the motor too cool, but I am up in the mountains where max ambient temps run about 85, the car has never went over 160 degrees.
Nothing wrong with the column shift leave it there, save your cash, you can upgrade at any time.
Put a mechanical fan on it, it should cool just fine.

Good luck

Thanks! Okay, just wanted to be sure about the champion..

Well, when I'm talkin about floor shift, I mean I wanna be able shift the gears myself, and stay in the lower gears. You know? I don't need it shifting up when I still might need the power of that lower gear..

I messed up, I probably shouldve elaborated a little more when I ment shift kit? That would be the purpose of the floor shifter. Make it a little easier to change those gears in the heat of the moment!! >:)

Also cause we've torn out all the linkage column shift already to paint the engine bay.

Looks like my 73 did when I bought it I was going to go back all factory but I wanted a hot rod that is the direction I am going. Great job keep it going

Engine bay is painted. Thanks mom and Dan the glass man for the help!
I'll be home soon to see it myself.

What do you guys think? Pretty good huh?

We went the extra mile before I left on tour and tore everything out and taped over valves, plugs, etc.
Then they did the actual painting while I'm on tour..

Note, the rest of the entire car will be black, this is just while the engine is out.

View attachment image-23233179.jpg

-
Back