7K RPM's ... Oops! Rev Limiter ???

-
That what my dad and I ordered, pricey but you notice a difference right away.
Agree. The FBO is what I run and the car immediately ran better than with the stock module. It’s easy to set.

the $30 fix may be the governor off a golf cart?

Summit# SUM-850730 HEI module with dip switch settable rev limiter plus MSD 8207 E core coil [ or similar E core coil ].
You get a higher energy spark & variable dwell.

I guess I need to install a rev limiter. After some very mild changes over the winter, we went out for a stroll to see how it would respond. Well, from about a 20 mph roll I nailed it and the tires broke loose and it was on 7,000 RPM's before I could hit 2nd gear. NOT what I want to be doing with a stock 200,000 mile short block Magnum.
WHO is selling the latest/greatest of quality and ease of installation these days ?? Thanks for real life experience in advance :)

Hey Dont be scared.lol my stock crank and rod 2000 360 magnum block has seen lots and lots of 7500 rpm. But I try and shift it around 6500 now. Here is what I put on my 91 dakota sport race truck. This box has 2 or 3 different revlimiters etc.

PerTronix 510 PerTronix Digital HP Ignition Boxes | Summit Racing

I guess I need to install a rev limiter. After some very mild changes over the winter, we went out for a stroll to see how it would respond. Well, from about a 20 mph roll I nailed it and the tires broke loose and it was on 7,000 RPM's before I could hit 2nd gear. NOT what I want to be doing with a stock 200,000 mile short block Magnum.
WHO is selling the latest/greatest of quality and ease of installation these days ?? Thanks for real life experience in advance :)
DAMN, 7000 rpm, i wasnt planning on going Over 6300 with my mag, now its a whole new game !!

My 360LA has been hitting 7000 and more since 1999.
I missed a shift one time, and by the time I looked over, the needle was crossing 8000..... on the way back down....
After that I fixed the dang shifter, and got me a cheap Autometer 4" tach with a limiter and a light in it, plus an adjustable needle; ooooo. I can't say how accurate it is or isn't and don't much care, obviously I have enough spring pressure that the engine can survive. But yaknow, after I fixed the shifter in 2004, and slick shifted Second and Third; I haven't ever missed a shift since.

The MSD chips start to come in early. Like 200-300 rpm early and you may not feel it much at all. Just keep that in mind. I hit 7400 a couple of times with my cast scat 4” crank when it failed to shift. That is were the angels live! I truly believe that on the street in first gear I would need to shift as the pedal was halfway down to catch it and then be prepared to shift again VERY SOON! Just a recipe for disaster! Sooner or later they reach the point were its useless to try run through 1 or 2 at full throttle on the street.

I missed a shift one time, and by the time I looked over, the needle was crossing 8000..... on the way back down....
After that I fixed the dang shifter, and got me a cheap Autometer 4" tach with a limiter and a light in it, plus an adjustable needle; ooooo. I can't say how accurate it is or isn't and don't much care, obviously I have enough spring pressure that the engine can survive. But yaknow, after I fixed the shifter in 2004, and slick shifted Second and Third; I haven't ever missed a shift since.
On a cast crank ?

DIY, about $10 in components.....and an afternoon if your solder friendly

I just don't like the idea of 7k rpm's with an untouched 200,000 short block... stock rod and crank bearings, and oil pump. :)

I think you just got carried away with the little bit of extra power and kept in it too long.
I doubt you'll see 7000rpm with a normal dead stop launch.
You did hear me say shift, didn't you? :D

I think you just got carried away with the little bit of extra power and kept in it too long.
I doubt you'll see 7000rpm with a normal dead stop launch.
You did hear me say shift, didn't you? :D
If it hooks up, shifting on the button is a piece of cake. If it breaks loose, look out ... LOL. Long bed pickups are a task to hook up. Last year was a complete success. Hope to continue that this year. 11 days till TnT - we are hoping for 7's (7.99999 will work!!).

could you make it altered wheelbase to help launches?
It could be done, but under stand the truck. We had to drag it (thus the name Drag Truck) from a farmers field where my wife and I trudged through about 8" of snow to even look at it along a fence line. I guess my point being it most likely will not see "extensive" frame work. But yes, that idea would certainly help and could be done.

Pour a bottle of Lucus oil treatment in it and twist it to 8000. They sound great after 7500.
Last year 5600 is where it wanted to be shifted. The straight through exhaust may add a little rpm to the shift point, but I doubt 2400 rpms LOL

-
Back