904 race build

-

Ceedawg

Reaction score
Looking to see what is the most common parts to use on a 904 race build. Will be my first from doing 727s for many years. Don’t need a ‘pro trans’ and not taking it to a name brand shop, I can buy or machine any part. Let’s hear what you got. Thanks in advance.

https://www.coperacingtrans.com/?product_cat=904-race-rebuild-kits
This is a rebuild kit from Cope Racing
Product Description
904 Rebuild Kit-High Performance Race 72 & up 904-998-999. Includes all Seals, gaskets, O rings, lip seals, sealing rings, 5 thin grooved Alto red eagle clutches for the front drum, and 4 thin smooth or grooved Alto clutches for the rear clutch, 9 kolene steel plates, filter, and a set of teflon rings for stator.Will fit both a stock or billet drum. Fits 1972 & up 904-998-999 torqueflight transmissions.

4.2 or 5.0 band levers. I've always used the 4.2 in my footbrake 904's.

I got 5 904s in use in bracket cars.....4 with transbrakes and 1 foot brake.....

The 904s with transbrake all have 5 thin clutch disc in the front drum....I use the thin disc and steels from the rear drum....you need a minimum of .060 clearance with the 5 disc....I have had to get the pressure plate cut about .020 on several of them....
I also use the 24 spring kit that replaces the large wound spring in the front drum......a cheaper route is ATi make a single spring that is wound the correct way to keep the front clutches from slipping at high rpm......
I generally use stock steels and stock disc or high energy clutch disc....only used the red alto and kolene steels once...

Front and rear bank I use Kevlar bands.....the rear are the double wraps....
I use the 5.0 kick down lever on the front band along with a heavy duty band strut......
Front servo is stock....Rear servo is a one piece billet design....
re.
The transbrake manufacturer says use Teflon sealing rings on the pump stator because of the line pressure,
I replace the pump bushing...the front drum bushing..and the rear tail shaft bushing and new seals on both ends.
Pump gears are usually stock unless I see something....then I replace with harden gears ......
the 904 stock have a bolt in sprag......just get a replacement roller/spring kit for 10 bucks...

I dont buy kits since the kits dont have what I want.....they give the thick front disc and steels..I usually buy from What ever it takes trans....i order individual parts....and keep enough extra parts to rebuild a 904 on stock if needed...plus I have one complete 904 spare if needed too...

that is my basic trans.....i rebuild them myself....they are simple...

Last edited:
Is the factory slip yoke strong enough for foot brake or stutter box in E/Stock

Using stock yokes on all those trans....7260s.....never have had any problems...launching with Transbrake....couple of cars have run 10.20s

I footbraked my IHRA Dart Sport to a 11.14 ET and 1.47 60' bests for almost 20 years with stock 7260 trans yokes and never broke one. But I also used solid Spicer U-joints, aftermarket driveshaft tubes and billet steel 7260 rear end yokes. Never 2-stepped.

Trans had a 2.74 low gear with a race weight of 3,540+ lbs and a 360.

I footbraked my IHRA Dart Sport to a 11.14 ET and 1.47 60' bests for almost 20 years with stock 7260 trans yokes and never broke one. But I also used solid Spicer U-joints, aftermarket driveshaft tubes and billet steel 7260 rear end yokes. Never 2-stepped.

Trans had a 2.74 low gear with a race weight of 3,540+ lbs and a 360.
I do have a CM shaft and solid joints I bought off a guy that’s going to the big stuff. Dana either 4.88, 5.13 or 5.57

Looking to see what is the most common parts to use on a 904 race build. Will be my first from doing 727s for many years. Don’t need a ‘pro trans’ and not taking it to a name brand shop, I can buy or machine any part. Let’s hear what you got. Thanks in advance.
Not saying you need to do what I did, but you said you can machine, see pics in my signature to see what I did.

Not saying you need to do what I did, but you said you can machine, see pics in my signature to see what I did.
That is some great work you did there, I’ll have to take one apart and compare how you changed each piece. Do you have a list of parts and where you bought them?

Check the pics in my profile. I did my own 904 and lots of custom machining. Email me any questions.

-
Back