A 1974 Duster - My 2nd one, 41 years later!

-
Just curious if you replaced or rebuilt the side glass regulators, my glass rattles like crazy when the windows are rolled down.
Sorry for asking so many questions I’m building the same year Duster I’m about 4-5 months behind you.
May I ask Where you purchased your rear glass

Just cleaned and greased up the window innards. No problem on questions.... that’s how we All learn! All glass is the glass that was in the car when I bought it.

^ Good idea! Once the carpet is in place, I’ll burn the seat holes in from under the car with a soldering iron. Got passenger side glass in yesterday!

this is a new carpet / seat install "trick" to me. I will use it on the Flash.

^ Good idea! Once the carpet is in place, I’ll burn the seat holes in from under the car with a soldering iron. Got passenger side glass in yesterday!
I do this also, but I made a tool from an old junk screw driver ground to a point. Use a long one and close to the size of the bolts. Get it hot with a propane torch, and push it in, works slick.

Got the rear carpet piece where it needs to be. Holy Crap....my rear seat is in!
Got plate installed also.

42255399145_5f35d1b27b_b.jpg
IMG_5209 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

42255398445_7d8b524a06_b.jpg
IMG_5210 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

42255400135_488860c7e2_b.jpg
IMG_5207 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Got carpet contact cement (3m77) glued in place and laying flat. Get the passenger seat dummy...let's put it in!!! Soldering iron trick, burning through the carpet where the seat holes are under the car worked like a charm!

41369746550_73a11c413e_b.jpg
IMG_5212 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

41369745650_e96b23f489_b.jpg
IMG_5213 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Last edited:
Door weatherstripping is by Metro, I ordered it off Amazon. Install was very easy. It comes with instructions. Basically push in the clips and apply a little glue where it ends on the door on top, front and rear.

Here is the kit I ordered for the doors, the Metro products seem very nice.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0072GVRX4/?tag=joeychgo-20
Thanks Alex, it’s so cool to watch your car coming along, I would have been so much more time consuming researching and finding parts that fit well, thanks for all of you help. Much appreciated

Just when I thought I had done everything and all I need to do is put it all back together, yeah right...Here's the issue now. I have a Power steering column in my car (original) and just switched to a manual steering gear due to header clearance issues. So you need a FeelFirm adapter (I thought,.... wrong!) that adds roughly 2.5" and converts from the power steering 5/8"-36 spline coupler box to the 3/4"-36 spline of the manual steering gear. In theory this works...but it also places the original power steering coupler 2 1/2" back towards the firewall causing the coupler to hit the #7 header tube. So in searching on the internet I found some info and pictures of what to do. I ordered a Mopar manual coupler box (found on eBay) and I will cut my steering rod and add 2 1/2" of 3/4" round stock steel and weld it together. A pic sometimes is more than a 1000 words.

The above info was found to be WRONG for my 74' auto power steering column. I should have added 3 7/8" of 3/4" round steel.
43207346602_c23b14e5d7_o.jpg
shaftcut by Alexl5280, on Flickr

43207347062_375504ae4b_o.jpg
shaftwelded by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Here is the thread where it is discussed:
Power to Manual steering conversion | Moparts Question and Answer | Moparts Forums

Last edited:
Just when I thought I had done everything and all I need to do is put it all back together, yeah right...Here's the issue now. I have a Power steering column in my car (original) and just switched to a manual steering gear due to header clearance issues. So you need a FeelFirm adapter (I thought,.... wrong!) that adds roughly 2.5" and converts from the power steering 5/8"-36 spline coupler box to the 3/4"-36 spline of the manual steering gear. In theory this works...but it also places the original power steering coupler 2 1/2" back towards the firewall causing the coupler to hit the #7 header tube. So in searching on the internet I found some info and pictures of what to do. I ordered a Mopar manual coupler box (found on eBay) and I will cut my steering rod and add 2 1/2" of 3/4" round stock steel and weld it together. A pic sometimes is more than a 1000 words.

View attachment 1715195590shaftcut by Alexl5280, on Flickr

View attachment 1715195591shaftwelded by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Here is the thread where it is discussed:
Power to Manual steering conversion | Moparts Question and Answer | Moparts Forums
Alex nice build, I'll have to dig up some pics of my 340 Dart Sport I bought new in 73 starting out of automotive co op at Try County Dodge here in Cincinnati OH and now going over a 72 Hemi Demon and dealing with same issues with column , Flaming River makes a slick narrow coupler for this, Thread - Starting a BB Duster project & The Dustbin Duster ,part 1 Hot Rod Network shows them drilling column to install FR Coupler . Mike

Alex nice build, I'll have to dig up some pics of my 340 Dart Sport I bought new in 73 starting out of automotive co op at Try County Dodge here in Cincinnati OH and now going over a 72 Hemi Demon and dealing with same issues with column , Flaming River makes a slick narrow coupler for this, Thread - Starting a BB Duster project & The Dustbin Duster ,part 1 Hot Rod Network shows them drilling column to install FR Coupler . Mike
Wrong on that Alex it is The Dustbin Duster,Part Two: Dropping Engine, Mounting Seats, and Installing the SideMarker Lights

Thanks Mike! It has been a great project that I am very happy with the results. Next after the steering goes in, will be start up, tuning, clutch adjustment. Just maybe she’ll be able to move under her own power......soon!

Thanks Mike! It has been a great project that I am very happy with the results. Next after the steering goes in, will be start up, tuning, clutch adjustment. Just maybe she’ll be able to move under her own power......soon!
Will be waiting , maybe some pics of that steering shaft fab work installed. Mike

-
Back