A 1974 Duster - My 2nd one, 41 years later!

-
Hey Alex,
Is that 1/8", 3/16", or 1/4" Masonite you used?
If it's not too much trouble could you trace it onto paper for me?
I'll send you a prepaid envelope to send it to me....

I used 3/16 hardboard (as they call it at HomeDepot). Yes I can send you the template. PM me your address. No postage necessary.

Got the Bilstein rear shocks installed. Lil' splash of green under there can't hurt anything! Missing the nut on the lower drivers side shock mount, on list for tomorrow to go get one.

IMG_2684 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Decided this morning while I am waiting for funds to purchase the posi/limited-slip unit (sent the TruTrac back to Summit, as I believed it had problems)...it is time to tackle the Quarter Panel! It has been resting in the dining room for almost 5 months, wife has been awesome in understanding! So lay it on the floor and lets get the cut line marked! I am leaving the upper body line from the original quarter. So with tape off the body line I make my cut line. I added a lower line of tape so I can clearly see where to cut.
No turning back now!

IMG_2686 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

IMG_2688 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

IMG_2689 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

There is no way my wife would let me store car parts in the dining room.
You are a lucky man

Not being an auto body guy... the R&R of a new panel is somewhat worrisome...probably why I put it off for so long. At any rate, I am in it, to win. I read and read, watched videos, and spoke with a good friend that is a pro fabricator guy. Get a flange tool was what I need. While a butt joint is fine, it may be tougher to get done...with a flange tool that also punches the spot weld holes I can make a stronger joint and it won't be as difficult to weld. So Flange/punch tool ordered from Amazon and Northern Tool.

15826_700x700 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

First test fit, gonna be a lot of on and off's until this is just right.

IMG_2691 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

IMG_2692 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

If you haven't already done so, check into using Fusor panel bonding adhesive. It works well using the flange tool you ordered and is as strong, or stronger than welding. Using the adhesive makes the lap seam a lot less prone to rust down the road. There are several different brands of the body panel adhesive, but I think the Fusor brand is standard bearer for all of them. Keep up the good work! :prayer:

Thanks for the tip....but I'll be welding it in. I have gained a lot of respect for the guys that do this everyday. I have had the skin on and off a half a dozen times...I will win but this takes a lot of finessing.

Thanks for the tip....but I'll be welding it in. I have gained a lot of respect for the guys that do this everyday. I have had the skin on and off a half a dozen times...I will win but this takes a lot of finessing.

I agree it's a a little daunting at first Alex, but if I did both of mine with a flux core HF welder, I am so certain yours will come out great.

Never convince yourself to run a weld longer than 3/4" or so. Just stop and move over to a spot on the opposite side of the panel. Move around on the panel. I cooled mine down with a wet towel as I went.

I've got the new quarter panel fitted where it needs to go. Measured and measured and all is the same as the untouched other side, now just gotta mark and punch my spot weld holes in the new panel and start melting metal....a little at a time.

Go slow, cool it down as you go. Don't be aggressive on that top seam....

I am on the hurry up and wait plan for the flange/punch tool....the more I stare at the quarter panel I really think I will just do a butt weld joint, but the punch tool will come in handy for making the spot weld holes underneath. Wanted to get something done so finished off painting the rear window channel and trunk jam area. Two coats of base, it is drying in pic, still need to hit it with 3 coats of clear.

IMG_2712 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

And the clear:

IMG_2713 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

I am on the hurry up and wait plan for the flange/punch tool....the more I stare at the quarter panel I really think I will just do a butt weld joint, but the punch tool will come in handy for making the spot weld holes underneath. Wanted to get something done so finished off painting the rear window channel and trunk jam area. Two coats of base, it is drying in pic, still need to hit it with 3 coats of clear.

IMG_2712 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Damn your doing one hell of a job on your car. I look forward to seeing completed.:burnout::burnout:

That car is going to be nice Alex!
It's amazing how our plans change as we go along....

Flange/punch tool arrived...but I changed my mind, gonna butt weld it. I'll use the punch to make spot weld holes. Trimmed it one more time to make a nice butt weld. Almost ready to attach the new quarter.

IMG_2716 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

-
Back