A Dart GT showed up today

-
You have a 64 so no 8 3/4 or 273-4 barrel from the factory. Still a cool car.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on what brand fenderwell headers to seek out? Hooker 5208's appear to be all that is currently offered. Not sure what it is

Are you saying the 8.75 is swapped in? Did the 273 Commando start in '65?

Id say they are Headmans. Cyclones had bigger tubes. Hookers had two tubes going into the wheel well.

Neither the 8-3/4 or the 273 four barrel were available in 1964. A "Commando" was NEVER available in a Dodge...just like a "Magnum" was never available in a Plymouth...
Right. Beat me to it. The 8.750 is a transplant, but a dang goodun. Neato car! Keep us posted on what you decide to do with it.

A little progress after work

IMG_20211214_163216.jpg

IMG_20211214_161154.jpg

IMG_20211214_161149.jpg

IMG_20211214_161138.jpg

Man, that's a killer ride! Wish the one a had years ago was a 4spd v8! Haha we'd have gotten into trouble for sure! I had a 63 Dart GT /6, pushbutton shift on the dash with a slide lever... 63 Dart 440 GT. At least in my memory it had 440 style/ trim plates.. got it from a friend's family. It was my bud Harleys, and then Mom's, then mine.. little car has seen some fun, lemme tell Ya!. And got us to work! This was in the early 90s. Car had virtually NO rust.

Bad news for this project. The fellow that sold me the car cannot produce a title. Between the floors, fender aprons and title am afraid it doesn't look good.

Am I giving up too easy? If anything this car will save a some others along the way.

So far it needs:

Floor pans
Lower 1/4 patches
Driver door window
Headers
Brakes
Fuel system
Exhaust
Interior kit
Wheels/tires
Drivetrain refresh

What would you do?

Title is easy in California, not sure about Oregon. All you need here is a bill of sale and a statement of facts. Even easier if it out of the computer...

If that car was sitting here and I wanted to build it, I'd start with the body/floor pans. Next it would get one of my 340s WITHOUT fenderwell headers. Then I'd probably look for some slotted mags, install the disc brakes, and add bigger torsion bars with a front sway bar.

Then again, FOR ME, that car has a fatal flaw...the roof doesn't go down...

Title is easy in California, not sure about Oregon. All you need here is a bill of sale and a statement of facts. Even easier if it out of the computer...

If that car was sitting here and I wanted to build it, I'd start with the body/floor pans. Next it would get one of my 340s WITHOUT fenderwell headers. Then I'd probably look for some slotted mags, install the disc brakes, and add bigger torsion bars with a front sway bar.

Then again, FOR ME, that car has a fatal flaw...the roof doesn't go down...

Thank you for well thought out advice. I already have several cars to maintain so this was more of a mercy build using parts on hand aside from the model specific parts (floors, etc). It's a cool car but it will be a labor of love if it ever sees the road again.

No love for fenderwell headers?

Thank you for well thought out advice. I already have several cars to maintain so this was more of a mercy build using parts on hand aside from the model specific parts (floors, etc). It's a cool car but it will be a labor of love if it ever sees the road again.

No love for fenderwell headers?

Nope, no love for them. Handling is first consideration for me within the limits of my build (some handle better than others, but all will take a corner). Fenderwell headers limit the available tire size for the front.

-
Back