A904LA transmission issue

-

Crewdog89

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Purchased this cuda a couple weeks ago and have posted a handful of questions since then because this is my first classic I have owned (worked on a mustang with my dad a while back) so please bare with me haha. I’m focusing on safety first as far as making her driveable (which technically it is). I was underneath after cleaning off some sludge searching for a few leaks (so far engine oil pan & drain, intake manifold, and valve covers) when I noticed this on the transmission. Searched the service manual and I couldn’t find exactly what this line is but I want to make sure I get it fixed asap. I know it’s inboard of the throttle linkage and I found the diagram for the throttle linkage that shows this line but it doesn't give it a description. You guys have been amazing help thus far and its very much appreciated thanks!

IMG_B34468EDA471-1.jpeg

What are we working on?
Does your speed-O work?
Just looking at replacing that torn tubing in the photo. Speedo works but the transmission does shift a little hard when going into reverse or drive

Well I don't know any A904 (edit: 1967and up), on the face of the Earth that ever had anything connected to it in that spot.
But the Early Valiants had a Speed-O cable that came up about there, and were held into the trans tail, with a fitting like that; but IDK what we are working on so wouldn't like to be specific.
Ima guessing that since we are in the A-body Forum, it must be one, and it sorta looks like a Small-block V8. And since I can see the lower bell-crank, it appears to be a 67 to 73.....
But Ima guessing.
If it was on of those then I have no idea what that bit is.

Last edited:
Well I don't know any A904 on the face of the Earth that ever had anything connected to it in that spot.
But the Early Valiants had a Speed-O cable that came up about there, and were held into the trans tail, with a fitting like that; but IDK what we are working on so wouldn't like to be specific.
Ima guessing that since we are in the A-body Forum, it must be one, and it sorta looks like a Small-block V8. And since I can see the lower bell-crank, it appears to be a 67 to 73.....
But Ima guessing.
If it was one of those then I have no idea what that bit is.

I looked for the stamp date on the casing but couldn’t find anything. The engine is a 67’ 273 and I have a 65’ body so I’m thinking maybe it’s also a 67’ A904LA but I’m not 100%. I found a number on the side of the casing but there’s no reference I can find that explains it (2464450). I can see another number but it’s super faded

I seem to remember that the EARLY-As had the column shift cable coming out around there; but that is a wild guess, on account of the last time I looked at one was around 1975,lol.
As for that PN, 24xxxxx series numbers look about right for the period,

I'm assuming that you have the '65 and earlier 904. These are "cable" shifted not mechanical linkage. This would be a metal cable (inner) with a plastic/rubber out coating. When that rubber coating is damaged it can leak ATF. You should also have a second cable going to the rear of the tranny for "Park".

I'm assuming that you have the '65 and earlier 904. These are "cable" shifted not mechanical linkage. This would be a metal cable (inner) with a plastic/rubber out coating. When that rubber coating is damaged it can leak ATF. You should also have a second cable going to the rear of the tranny for "Park".
Do you think that damage to the cable could possibly be the reason it shifts a little rough?

I looked for the stamp date on the casing but couldn’t find anything. The engine is a 67’ 273 and I have a 65’ body so I’m thinking maybe it’s also a 67’ A904LA but I’m not 100%. I found a number on the side of the casing but there’s no reference I can find that explains it (2464450). I can see another number but it’s super faded
It's not. It's a 65 and back transmission as they are cable shifted.

You mentioned cleaning sludge from the area so I added the comment about leaks coming from this cable. With better pictures of that cable we might get a better idea of its condition. A leaking cable is not a cause of rough shifts. I would not blame the cable for that. Your "rough" shift may be normal especially if someone has installed a "shift kit" in it, a popular aid to better performance.

You mentioned cleaning sludge from the area so I added the comment about leaks coming from this cable. With better pictures of that cable we might get a better idea of its condition. A leaking cable is not a cause of rough shifts. I would not blame the cable for that. Your "rough" shift may be normal especially if someone has installed a "shift kit" in it, a popular aid to better performance.
I took it to mean it was rough shifting from one gear selection to the other, not a harsh shifting transmission. Maybe he will clarify.

That cable looks weird in the picture, so maybe better pictures will help. New cables are available but very expensive.

That cable looks weird in the picture, so maybe better pictures will help. New cables are available but very expensive.
Yeah they sure ain't cheap. I looked and it's like 275 from Van's. It's either been burned, pinched or maybe both from the looks of it. All those cable shifted transmission were problematic with leaks. They worked pretty good, but I swear, I think they leaked when new. lol

That is the shift cable for a 1960-1965 transmission. They do have a tendency to leak, do to age or damage. I'm thinking there is damage, since it is hard selecting gears. What type of shifter is in the car? Push button, columm selector, or floor shifter? They take different cables. I suggest you go to mymopar and download the part and service manuals for your car.

That is the shift cable for a 1960-1965 transmission. They do have a tendency to leak, do to age or damage. I'm thinking there is damage, since it is hard selecting gears. What type of shifter is in the car? Push button, columm selector, or floor shifter? They take different cables. I suggest you go to mymopar and download the part and service manuals for your car.

Its a floor shifter. Sorry I’ll get you guys more photos of the damage after work today I got in from a flight late last night sorry for the delay

If I remember correctly the shift cable has an "O" ring on the end to prevent leaks between the outer cable and the case but no seal preventing oil from getting into the inner cable. Hence if the outer rubber covering is damaged it will leak. There are some Rube Goldberg repairs that we can try.

Sorry for the delay! Super busy day yesterday haha so here’s pictures of the damage. The surrounding tubing is damaged and is covered in fluid. Not sure if the fluid is related to the leak I have on the engine and it’s just dripping onto the cable or if ATF is leaking from the cable. Let me know what you guys think or if you need more photos!

D38D1CB4-D336-4CF7-8D58-ED72DE730A31.jpeg

30C02CA8-DB48-4E1D-ACED-6D2FB11486AD.png

-
Back